IGNORED

Modern 600XL Memory Expansions -- 64K (or more)

Larry

Well, not quite available yet, but @candle is working on an external version of the U1MB with built-in SIDE3. No way of knowing how long it may be in development but I've heard it may be getting close to being available.

Here's a video of the early stages of development from January.

External U1MB with built-in SIDE3

12 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Lotharek's internal 64k expansion is really easy to fit assuming your board is socketed, and it's only one solder connection.

And a two-chip DRAM swap upgrade only requires three short wires, and can be done for cheap. I used two out of a batch of five DRAMs that cost a total of like $5 on eBay a few years ago. :) 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Original 320XL but it doesn't have a passthru.

Yes, I had a couple of those, but unfortunately the lack of passthru prevents use of PBI devices.

Yes, I have a couple with an internal 64K upgrade, but I'm curious about external upgrades that would be essentially direct replacements for the 1064.

19 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

And a two-chip DRAM swap upgrade only requires three short wires, and can be done for cheap. I used two out of a batch of five DRAMs that cost a total of like $5 on eBay a few years ago. :) 

It can, but you really want to buy more DRAM chips than you need as they can be buggy or fakes, and if you're hesitant to solder, one solder joint on the MMU is easier than three or four solder connections.

Having said that, if your chips aren't socketed you're buggered.

The upcoming external U1MB holds promise, but Gawd knows when it will be released and I still have doubts regarding software compatibility on 16k base ram.

Edited by Mazzspeed

The Turbo Freezer must be used with computers having 64K or more ram, so it can't fit this bill.

I don't know about SYS-CHECK XL (or the II version), but I suspect it can't supply the additional 48K.

There was a 256K external upgrade from the UK (IIRC), but don't know if it had the 64K "fill in" capability.

Yes, I hope that the External U1MB pans out -- that will be really nice.

13 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Having said that, if your chips aren't socketed you're buggered.

All NTSC 600XL’s are fully socketed, including the memory and logic chips. So that part, at least, is not an issue in North America. 

9 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

All NTSC 600XL’s are fully socketed, including the memory and logic chips. So that part, at least, is not an issue in North America. 

My PAL 600XL's fully socketed, I thought it was mostly certain 800XL's that weren't socketed?

It's not a deal breaker as long as you're capable with the soldering iron, however I am surprised that a passthrough expansion has never been developed.

32 minutes ago, Larry said:

I don't know about SYS-CHECK XL (or the II version), but I suspect it can't supply the additional 48K.

The SYSCHECK II can be used as 64KB base RAM but the are some restrictions:

Use as base RAM replacement disables the cartridge port.

With the V2.2  base RAM replacement and as extended memory can't be used together.

Edited by BillC
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Mine definitely isn't and wasn't from factory.

PAL or NTSC?  I always wondered if Atari did away with the (NTSC) sockets when they came out with the "super inexpensive" packages in the Tramiel years.  (Mine are all socketed.)

Edit: The 256K external expansion was called the "Yorky," but (just googled it) and found it did need internal 64K on a 600XL.

8 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Mine definately isn't and wasn't from factory.

8 hours ago, Larry said:

PAL or NTSC?  I always wondered if Atari did away with the (NTSC) sockets when they came out with the "super inexpensive" packages in the Tramiel years.  (Mine are all socketed.)

Edit: The 256K external expansion was called the "Yorky," but (just googled it) and found it did need internal 64K on a 600XL.

I must have been tired last night. My 600XL is all socketed.

• Like 1

My 64K 600XL with the "three-wire mod," Altirra BASIC om an EPROM (thanks, @phaeron!), UAV + video DIN jack, and case modded for the new DIN (*).

(*) For those of you in the PAL-iverse who may not know, Atari decided in their infinite wisdom to omit the video jack and install an RF channel selection switch in that spot. Fortunately, the vias for a video jack are still present and can be cleared to allow mounting a video jack. You do have to run wires to the jack, and there are numerous ways to do it. In this case, I could not get solder to adhere to the back of the pins, so I run wires under the board and soldered them to the DIN there.

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

My 64K 600XL with the "three-wire mod," Altirra BASIC om an EPROM (thanks, @phaeron!), UAV + video DIN jack, and case modded for the new DIN (*).

(*) For those of you in the PAL-iverse who may not know, Atari decided in their infinite wisdom to omit the video jack and install an RF channel selection switch in that spot. Fortunately, the vias for a video jack are still present and can be cleared to allow mounting a video jack. You do have to run wires to the jack, and there are numerous ways to do it. In this case, I could not get solder to adhere to the back of the pins, so I run wires under the board and soldered them to the DIN there.

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

I see a DIN plug, my Gawd I hate soldering DIN plugs...

49 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

I see a DIN plug, my Gawd I hate soldering DIN plugs...

I hate making the cables, but you can buy Atari-compatible DIN video cables from any number of places. I got this on eBay 5 - 6 years ago. It has a 5-pin DIN on the Atari side, a consumer S-video mini DIN connector on the other, along with R/W audio wired to the Atari mono audio out.

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

I hate making the cables, but you can buy Atari-compatible DIN video cables from any number of places. I got this on eBay 5 - 6 years ago. It has a 5-pin DIN on the Atari side, a consumer S-video mini DIN connector on the other, along with R/W audio wired to the Atari mono audio out.

Does it have separately shielded chroma and luma? That's the biggest issue I find regarding pre made cables.

I like the straight forward and solderless 4MB RAM-Upgrade solution "Antonia" from Simius ?.

It´s easy to "Plug´n´Play", offers a maximum of 4MB RAM and comes with a 100% compatible 65816 CPU Replacement,

(nice side effect: this CPU keeps cool and  doesn't get as hot as the original one)

Cheers,

andY

My600XL_4MEG_02.jpeg

My600XL_4MEG_01.jpeg

• Like 1