glurk

Ultimate Cart XEX Loader Technical Issues

Interest in the UltimateCart has practically rekindled right now that it is not possible to build them due to the chip shortage. I can't find the necessary Altera chip even on the moon :-)

Do any of you have any sources?

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2021 at 3:57 PM, pazuzu72 said:

Interest in the UltimateCart has practically rekindled right now that it is not possible to build them due to the chip shortage. I can't find the necessary Altera chip even on the moon 🙂

Do any of you have any sources?

You can use replacement parts that are compatible and, apparently, they seem to be available. They have the same pinout but more resources, what Altera/Intel calls vertical migration. They would be more expensive and you would need to recompile the core to the new part, though.

Edited by ijor
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

There are a few good BASIC games like JD Casten's Risky Rescue that I wanted to make playable on the Ultimate and/or other flash carts.  I have a .car file I made of entire JD Castens game disk. Another thread recently popped up with the Bas2COM programs, so I wondered if it was possible to take a basic program turn it into a an executable, then turn it into a rom/car file.  It works in Altirra, I have no tried it yet on a real flash cart, but plan to over the weekend.

Note: It does still take about 7 or 8 seconds to load the data lines, so there is a paused black screen at the initial start.

Risky Rescue (1984)(JD Casten).car

risky.rom

Edited by venom4728a
correction.

15 hours ago, venom4728a said:

There are a few good BASIC games like JD Casten's Risky Rescue that I wanted to make playable on the Ultimate and/or other flash carts.  I have a .car file I made of entire JD Castens game disk. Another thread recently popped up with the Bas2COM programs, so I wondered if it was possible to take a basic program turn it into a an executable, then turn it into a rom/car file.  It works in Altirra, I have no tried it yet on a real flash cart, but plan to over the weekend.

Note: It does still take about 7 or 8 seconds to load the data lines, so there is a paused black screen at the initial start.

If it works in ultimate cart, it would be good to pass the character set to machine language and not to read it from DATA 😄

Question how did you convert from executable to .car? any software?🙄

Now I share a version that does work with the games previously reported by myself and @Faicuai

_Boot.rom

This version has the original loader and I only added two changes from @flashjazzcat ... I am still testing executables.😁

14 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

This version has the original loader and I only added two changes from @flashjazzcat ... I am still testing executables.😁

Very interesting.

I will be checking this out, for sure. 👍💪

2 hours ago, ascrnet said:

If it works in ultimate cart, it would be good to pass the character set to machine language and not to read it from DATA 😄

Question how did you convert from executable to .car? any software?🙄

Now I share a version that does work with the games previously reported by myself and @Faicuai

_Boot.rom 8 kB · 1 download

http://raster.atariportal.cz/forpc/creaxin1en.htm  Here is the program for converting executables to roms

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:43 PM, ascrnet said:

Here's the super-set version, including all your changes in cart's Loader, plus Control-Extensions (CX) for providing much better control of the cart when running host computer in "console/session" mode (e.g. SDX or any DOS):

_boot.rom

For anyone interested in a detailed description of the functionality and benefits of Ultimate/SD with such control-extensions, please refer to this post (and supporting .ATR files, examples, etc.):

• Like 2