IGNORED

Broken SIO port

Hello, I've got an Atari 800 that I've been trying to get working. Id like to try playing some games on it so I made myself an sio2pc cable. I've had no luck using that so I decided to test if the SIO port is even working. To test I'm just trying to print using the 820 printer. After typing Lprint "test"  all I get is error code 138 which means device timeout. So far I've tried reseating all of the socketed chips, I've reflowed the solder joints to the SIO port, I've tested the cable and insured that it has continuity in all pins. Still the same error, Like there's nothing plugged in at all. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. 

If you have a multimeter or means of measuring signals you could try testing certain pins, /Command would be a good starting point.

If you have spare a Pokey and PIA then giving them a try would be a good second move.

Insert your Basic cartridge.  To test the Command pin, sample continuity between GND (SIO pin 4) and pin 7.

Note that the SIO pinout runs 1-13 alternating bottom/top in left to right order at the port on the computer.

Enter in Basic to set the command line active:

POKE 54019,52

Then test again - in the first case there should be a pullup, with Command active when grounded.