IGNORED

Star Raiders 1.1

glurk

42 minutes ago, griff3125 said:

I like the new enhancements, any chance of releasing a version with your hacks but without the speed hack?

Maybe it's because I'm so used to the original version, but the additional speed really throws the whole thing out of whack for me.

Conversely I want to see the original version with the speed hacks.

• Like 1

I got a hack of Star Raiders that a guy did for me. It keeps the screen black while the shields are on. 

He changed the blue color at the information panel at the bottom, grey - shields off, blue - shields on.

Never did like look of the shield color. Also did the 5200 version too!

One idea is to have the screen flash with blue a screen with cracks in it when you take a hit.

21 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Conversely I want to see the original version with the speed hacks.

Phaeron's version IS the original game with his FASTDIV routines.  And it's not really a "speed hacK' so much as a removal of the bad slow-down.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SoundGammon said:

I got a hack of Star Raiders that a guy did for me. It keeps the screen black while the shields are on. 

He changed the blue color at the information panel at the bottom, grey - shields off, blue - shields on.

Never did like look of the shield color. Also did the 5200 version too!

This sounds cool. Would it be possible to get copies of both A8 and 5200 versions?

TIA

• Like 1

11 hours ago, glurk said:

Phaeron's version IS the original game with his FASTDIV routines.  And it's not really a "speed hacK' so much as a removal of the bad slow-down.

Just for trivia, Doug Neubauer, the programmer went on record re the slow down and admitted his maths was rather weak (looked pretty impressive to me..)

Thank you Drpeter, not been on Halcyon Days for a long while, great reminder to have a peek again.

I remember having trouble with the explosions. I wanted an explosion that looked real, not an animated cartoon explosion like everyone else did. However, my signed divide algorithms were terrible, and that's why the game would slow down whenever there was an explosion.

On 6/13/2021 at 4:32 AM, glurk said:

I was going for 'brown' on the asteroids, and that was as close as I could get!  I'd like to fix the NTSC/PAL thing, if anyone knows a formula/algorithm to convert color values in code.  Because I'm still working on it, and I don't want to enter two color values for every one change.

I LIKE the attack computer.  The "shape" is from Wilmunder's Star Raiders II, and the crosshair is just a crosshair, because I thought it was dumb to show a TIE fighter when you could be shooting at a different ship.  Makes more sense to me.

Hmm, not sure if Star Raiders suffers from this, but there are definitely color differences between 400/800, and XL, and then XE machines (NTSC).  So hopefully brown can stay brown across them :)

"I remember having trouble with the explosions. I wanted an explosion that looked real, not an animated cartoon explosion like everyone else did. However, my signed divide algorithms were terrible, and that's why the game would slow down whenever there was an explosion."

I find this amusing, as the slowdown never bothered me. It always seemed to me to just emphasize the explosion, give it more 'impact', like a movie might do. Of course, if I enjoyed the game, I could justify anything.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cjherr said:

I find this amusing, as the slowdown never bothered me. It always seemed to me to just emphasize the explosion, give it more 'impact', like a movie might do. Of course, if I enjoyed the game, I could justify anything.

Funny, that's the way I feel too. I originally thought it would be nice if there was no slowdown with the explosions but then when the slowdown was gone ,with the Phaeron routines, I missed them. Being so fast makes them less dramatic.

I remember seeing the big Star Raiders box in the stores when I was a kid and I always passed on it. While I loved the artwork the in game graphics on the box looked boring. When I finally bought it I was blown away! Loved playing with the sound way up.

• Like 2

Although I think the phaeron version looks nice because of the smoother movement, I still prefer the original unaltered ROM.  The phaeron speedup also affects the gameplay, as it makes the hyperwarp sequence go faster and hence makes it more difficult to play.  I suppose some appreciate the increased challenge, but I don't.  It probably affects the gameplay difficulty in other ways as well but that's the big thing I noticed.

I also get wanting to fix the shield color for PAL users but I always thought the background shield color was a pretty essential part of the experience.  Star Cruiser 7's field emitters cause the blue color, because you're viewing space through the forcefield.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

Where can I get this:  Phaeron's version?

I can tell you that it's on this board, under a topic called "Star Raiders source code released" or similar.  It's a long thread, and it's in there somewhere, the latest version near the end, I think.  I don't otherwise have an exact link.  That's where I got it.

3 hours ago, FifthPlayer said:

I also get wanting to fix the shield color for PAL users but I always thought the background shield color was a pretty essential part of the experience.  Star Cruiser 7's field emitters cause the blue color, because you're viewing space through the forcefield.

Absolutely right.  And it's how I remember playing the game. The original code from the cartridge is perfect in every way, shape, and form.

It is fun, however, to explore the hacks and mods.

7 minutes ago, glurk said:

I saw that post, actually, and pondered on that one.  I might take a look at it when I have some time.  Been quite busy lately!

@glurk No worries... thought it might appeal. :grin: Cool - maybe see your thoughts on there sometime in future then. Either way the article I posted there is pretty interesting. laters :thumbsup:

On 6/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, glurk said:

I consider Phaeron's FASTDIV code necessary, I can hardly play the original now.

Absolutely.

Much, much better with such optimizations... while still maintaining original graphics rendering.

Absolutely no point getting back to the non-optimized 3d renderings (especially during explosions...)

• 1 year later...
On 6/17/2021 at 5:20 AM, Beeblebrox said:

@glurk

Great work. ?Gonna have a play at the weekend.

On a somewhat (sort of) related note I wondered what your thoughts were on my other topic, just out of curiosity? 

wonder if that got a look as for optimized math or mathpack etc.

I can see where the faster warp is giving a hard time for some people. I like it but I can be a fanatic. People who come and play Atari, not so much, they like the gameplay, dislike the warp, switch to old version, they can handle the warp but want the new gameplay. It's always something

Edited by _The Doctor__