IGNORED

Are there XL cart games that won't work on a XEGS?

Intymike

My only 8bit Atari computer system is the XEGS. 

I love the fact that I can play cartridges from the early 80s up into the 90s.

One of the last games that I got was the Roklan version of Wizard Of Wor. 

But sadly this game doesn't start. Shows an empty basic screen at best. 

Does the game doesn't start at all on a XE (GS) system or is just the cart faulty. 

Or, it just comes to my mind, does this game not work on PAL systems?

It was a NIB game, so the seller is not to blame.

Edited by Intymike

As far as I can remember, Roklan's "Wizard Of Wor" cartridge should work on a XL or XE system.  "Gorf" won't but "WOW" should.

That said, you can use the "Ultra Translator" program to hot-swap OSb only cartridges and use them on XL/XE systems.  Video61 sells a version of "Ultra Translator" on cartridge but the attached ATR will work equally well.   It takes a bit of practice to learn the precise angle of how to insert the cartridge (start with it tilted ever so slightly to the right and then insert it in one swift motion) but the translator program does work.

Ultra Translator 2.0.atr

18 hours ago, Intymike said:

Does the game doesn't start at all on a XE (GS) system or is just the cart faulty. Or, it just comes to my mind, does this game not work on PAL systems?

I can confirm Wizard of Wor is compatible with all XL/XEs, including the XEGS. I had a WoW cartridge on my PAL XE, it was okay. Remember to use the 2nd joystick port for 1-player mode!

15 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Yes it would be, see the (old) Atari FAQ, section 8.4, e.g. here

Oddly, the recent FAQ here seems to have dropped this information.

It has been moved to section 7.1.7, and the list of incompatible games has been replaced with links to Fandal's website.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for all the answers!

I cleaned the contacts, I wiggled the cart. Everything you do normally to get a cart running.

All I get is this blue screen.

I've seen that there are carts of the game in different colors (mine is yellow, I've seen a blue one). Is there are a possibility that there is an updated version of the game and the yellow version doesn't work?

I took a look at the FAQ and now I will be at least not be surprised when I get Atlantis and Demon Attack and they don't work on the XEGS. 

IMG_3144.thumb.jpeg.3bb5955e23e06d770db924e4f4f1e0f1.jpeg

Your topic title is slightly different than what you are asking. But I remember some old games that use 4 joystick ports on 400/800 do not work properly on XEGS). I believe that has something to do with the external keyboard or with the BIT that controls internal missile command. It has been way too long. I should dive in this again.

But IIRC Basketball did also not work right on the XEGS. At least with OR without keyboard (on of these two options.

Edited by Marius
Typo's