IGNORED

Space Raiders : 7800 Homebrew

fultonbot

I'm not quite ready to share the binary yet, but Space Raiders is a game I started two weeks ago. I was thinking I could use it as the basis for a set of beginner tutorials on 7800 Basic.   It started ballooning, and now and it is about 70% complete.  I played with pallet manipulation to get some fades and with animated sprites to simulate scaling.  Also, all levels formations are created with bits from random numbers copied from the right side to the left so the formations look symmetrical.   I'm fairly certain this will be my actual first "finished" 7800 homebrew, and I still might do the tutorials if there is any interest.  My other idea is to add this game to "Last Stand" and "Into The Void" and make a multi-game "space game pack" or even something like Gorf (Forf/Vorf?).

Here is a video:

Space Raiders Atari 7800 Homebrew 2021 - YouTube

again, binaries soon, but not until I work-out power-ups, proper leveling, pokey music and high score support and decide if I'm going to create a boss-battle or not.

spaceradiers_1.png

spaceraiders_2.png

spaceraiders_3.png

Edited by fultonbot
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

The 253 valid levels created with my current level-creation algorithm, but I'm not using all of them. 

I'm picking out the best ones for the game.

the total of all level data required for 90 levels and 10 bosses right now stands at 200 bytes.

level1s1.png

levels2.png

levels3.png

levels4.png

• Like 8

2 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

You chose those formations well. As for the title of your game, Taito did make a PS2/GameCube Space Raiders; so, you might have to come up with another title if there are any trademark/copyright issues.

I figured as much.  I have a different name idea.
Easy enough to edit my banner. thanks!

-Steve

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 1:05 PM, fultonbot said:

I was thinking I could use it as the basis for a set of beginner tutorials on 7800 Basic.

Cool game, and I’d love to see what you have in mind in the way of tutorials. 

I’m not a programmer, but I know enough that good context around how a real game was created would go a long way to getting me started. 

My guess is there’s at least a few other people just like me looking for this resource.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trebor said:

There is this thread, and this post from that thread, containing the following link:

7800Basic Tutorial Document:  7800basic Tutorial.pdf 4.6 MB · 176 downloads

Wow, thanks! I wasn’t aware of this document. Not exactly light reading, but I’ll see what I can make of it. 

54 minutes ago, electronicsibley said:

Wow, thanks! I wasn’t aware of this document. Not exactly light reading, but I’ll see what I can make of it. 

Also if you want to start working with 7800Basic, I'd highly recommend getting Atari Dev Studio as your IDE. 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/290365-atari-dev-studio-for-homebrew-development-release/

• Like 3

9 hours ago, electronicsibley said:

The tutorial is wonderful, as is Atari Dev Studio.
My cliched start with the hello World sample in the 7800 Basic sample directory, and go from there.

My advice is to not worry about all the options at first (doubebuffering, bankswitching, pokey music, high scores, etc.) and just get the basics done first.  You can come back and learn everything else once you are comfortable.  

Edited by fultonbot
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...