IGNORED

Syquest Removable Drive

I have an old Syquest SQ312RD 10MB removable hard drive, I used it many years ago and just found it in a box,

so decided to see if it still worked, it's connected to an ICD Host Adaptor via an OMTI interface.

Using ICD Pro, I can see the OMTI and the drive, format and partition the drive (takes an eternity :) )

but when I go back to the desktop Add Icon, set it to C, but when I double click the icon it says No Device,

it does this for both the C and D partitions.

I downloaded the demo HDUTIL and tried that, it sees the drive and the partitions, but again doesn't see

the drives if I create them on the desktop.

I also tried the demo PPDriver utility, but that doesn't even see the OMTI Interface, so no chance of anything with that.

Am I doing something wrong that it doesn't see the drives, been so long since I installed a hard drive.

You sure you don't have a bad cart? Do you have any known good ones that

you can double-check with?

Reason I'm asking is, I've got a EZ-135 that I use with my BBS. I hadn't actually

powered it up and used it for anything in like eons. So I did one day, just playing

around and I couldn't get to access the drive at all. Didn't have another cart to try

so I bought a new one of Amazon and it worked fine.

Just a thought. HTHs.

11 hours ago, DarkLord said:

You sure you don't have a bad cart? Do you have any known good ones that

you can double-check with?

Reason I'm asking is, I've got a EZ-135 that I use with my BBS. I hadn't actually

powered it up and used it for anything in like eons. So I did one day, just playing

around and I couldn't get to access the drive at all. Didn't have another cart to try

so I bought a new one of Amazon and it worked fine.

Just a thought. HTHs.

Yes I have another 5 or 6 in a box somewhere, I need to find them and try those, it's just that

it formats and partitions fine using ICD Pro and confirmed using HDUTIL, but can't access the

partitions under TOS.

54 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

Silly question, but are you loading the SCSI driver when you boot into TOS? It is needed to access the drive after you have formatted and partitioned.  Whatever software you are using should have an option to INSTALL DRIVER.

I have to do this manually from floppy (which isn't working too well), strangely, this morning, I booted from floppy

ran HDUtil and it saw the drive, I went into the App and the drive and partitions were showing, however, following

the instructions to make the drive bootable didn't seem to work (maybe the demo can't do this).

Exited to TOS, installed the C icon and I could access the drive, copied files to it.

Ran ICDBOOT and again I could see the partitions and could copy files.

PPDRIVER still doesn't see anything, not even the OMTI card, maybe this utility is more for SD card drives.

I cannot boot from the hard drive itself with any of the utilities.

I may be wrong, but I think somewhere I read that some drives cannot be made bootable under TOS, I'm using TOS 2.06 in my STE.

I might try it on my old STM which is what I used it on all those eon's ago.

Oh...okay, just for reference, on my setup my EZ-135 is NOT the primary

device. I've got a 4 gig SCSI HD that serves that purpose. The EZ is in

the chain and works great there.

Sorry I missed the part about you wanting to boot from it....I've never

tried that with mine.

14 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Oh...okay, just for reference, on my setup my EZ-135 is NOT the primary

device. I've got a 4 gig SCSI HD that serves that purpose. The EZ is in

the chain and works great there.

That's going to be my next step, I have a 1GB drive which is my normal device, luckily my 50 pin cable

has a second connector, will be a bit awkward to connect it all up but will set my normal drive as boot with

the Syquest on a higher address and see what happens.

Apart from getting it going, I have a load of stuff on those disks and would like to get some of it back if possible.

My Syquest EzFlyer required a couple of resets of the ST before it was recognised (this was a common issue on some machines). If you install the driver on the disk (C Partition) and then try and reset a couple of times, you might get lucky.

Bear in mind making the disk bootable is one thing, but you will still need to create the icons and save a desktop info file to the hard drive for it to be accessible from the desktop on each boot up.

Really 10mb is a bit low capacity even for the ST (would make a good 8bit hard disk though). By the time you have a auto folder and a couple of programs on there it will be full up.

12 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

That's going to be my next step, I have a 1GB drive which is my normal device, luckily my 50 pin cable

has a second connector, will be a bit awkward to connect it all up but will set my normal drive as boot with

the Syquest on a higher address and see what happens.

Apart from getting it going, I have a load of stuff on those disks and would like to get some of it back if possible.

I understand. In my case, the cart I lost had some very early backups of my BBS. I'll never know what was on

there now, but that's the way it goes.

I wish you greater success with yours and hope you can recover everything. 

I don't think that using any SCSI drive for everyday work, fun and storage now is good idea. They will not last for long - talking from own experience.

So, if manage to make this Syquest 10 MB work, need to save files from it and give to some museum (what can be personal one too ? ).

Well, since it is formatted, there is no data, so I think that really should not waste time with it.

And that formatting of it took lot of time can be sign of it being faulty.

32 GB SD card price is now under 10 bucks. Easy data transfer with modern computers ...

8 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Well, since it is formatted, there is no data, so I think that really should not waste time with it.

And that formatting of it took lot of time can be sign of it being faulty.

32 GB SD card price is now under 10 bucks. Easy data transfer with modern computers ...

I only formatted one disk which I knew had nothing important on it, I have a further 5 disks that I would like to access.

I'm still trying to get my STM32 working as I appreciate what you say about failing disks, I have a 300MB SCSI that used

to be my primary drive which has now failed, luckily I had backed up to the 1GB :)

And in my case, it's a 4 gig SCSI hard drive that serves as primary storage for

my BBS. It's been running since the mid 90's or so. I understand that it is *way*

overdue for a failure. I have a brand new, still in the box 2 gig SCSI hard drive

standing by as replacement when it goes. The only reason I've not absolutely

committed to switching to a mass storage device like the Ultrasatan (of which

I have 2, one in my Mega STe and one in my STacy, not counting a CosmosEx

that's still in it's box), is because I have 2 other devices in that SCSI chain,

the EZ-135 and a 2X CD-ROM that I use for backup. The CD-ROM is also a

part of DarkForce, as callers can access a couple of CD-ROMs right from a

menu and download files from it.

That commitment is the only thing still keeping me chained to SCSI (pardon

the pun)...  :)

Been many years since using the HDDriver demo. Think one of the limits use to be only SCSI ID 0 was supported to boot from.

That drive may pre date me :) Generally SCSI devices don't (and shouldn't) need to be formatted, only partitioned. On an Atari, even a 10mb drive would take ages using AHDI.