IGNORED

Gravis GamePad on 2600?

BassGuitari

Probably a rookie question, and I think I already know the answer, but will the Amiga/Atari ST version of the Gravis GamePad work on an Atari 2600? I assume "yes" since 2600-compatible joysticks work on STs and Amigas, and examining the pinouts of various 9-pin systems appears to confirm this, but I was wondering if the GamePad's ST/Amiga switching circuitry would cause any issues. And I've heard of theoretically compatible controllers damaging systems they weren't intended for (like Genesis controllers on a Commodore 64).

GhWvyAb.png

On 6/13/2021 at 3:46 PM, BassGuitari said:

Probably a rookie question, and I think I already know the answer, but will the Amiga/Atari ST version of the Gravis GamePad work on an Atari 2600? I assume "yes" since 2600-compatible joysticks work on STs and Amigas, and examining the pinouts of various 9-pin systems appears to confirm this, but I was wondering if the GamePad's ST/Amiga switching circuitry would cause any issues. And I've heard of theoretically compatible controllers damaging systems they weren't intended for (like Genesis controllers on a Commodore 64).

GhWvyAb.png

If this does work please let me know.  It is my favorite 4-button controller of all time and will hunt one down if it works :)

• Like 1

I found one of these in my basement over the weekend and just wanted to be sure I wouldn't damage anything I plugged it into. My DINA is what I currently have hooked up, so I tried it on that (it works with 2600 joysticks just fine), but no joy, on any of the controller's switch settings. ?

I'll try it out with other systems when I get some time.

• Sad 1

Oh, neat!  I used the old mac version of those on Stella on OX 9.  I don't miss "configure input sprocket." :)

Even if it functions, it might not be the right controller for every joystick-based game.  See how you like it, but some games may be harder or easier with those than on joystick depending on how your hands work.