IGNORED

Atari 5200 Dual/Stereo POKEY?

bhall408

We're in the process of adding 5200 support to Argon, and that got me wondering... Is there such a thing as dual/stereo POKEY mods (and games that would use that) for the 5200?

As far as I can tell, the answer is no, but as we have done dual POKEY for 7800, and will be doing it for 800, we could as easily be doing it for 5200. And if there isn't a standard, just define one.

Thoughts/comments/ideas?

19 hours ago, bhall408 said:

We're in the process of adding 5200 support to Argon, and that got me wondering... Is there such a thing as dual/stereo POKEY mods (and games that would use that) for the 5200?

As far as I can tell, the answer is no, but as we have done dual POKEY for 7800, and will be doing it for 800, we could as easily be doing it for 5200. And if there isn't a standard, just define one.

Thoughts/comments/ideas?

While I've not seen anything on this hardware wise, it is possible as the Raster Music demo can be played in stereo pokey mode through the Altirra emulator in 5200 machine mode. I've done that a few times and it seems to work, so the theory of it is there.

40 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

I think it would work.  As in the 800, POKEY2 is addressed as POKEY1+$0F when present. 

If that is the standard, then no harm in supporting it. Hopefully it will then eventually be supported by some games!