IGNORED

PCem is no longer.

Keatah

On 6/14/2021 at 7:35 PM, Keatah said:

Now it's up to DosBox-X and VirtualBox to carry the flag.

Why? Have all copies of PCem now ceased to work because she stopped working on it?

Also, it's open source and on Github. Whoever wants can take over development.

Edited by derSammler

Yah. That's a "thing" with software. Once the updates stop coming everyone thinks the software also stops working.

I don't know what to think about other devs taking over. It would be nice. It would also be nice to see some of its features and technology absorbed into DosBox-X.

The PCem forum says: "I'm done. This isn't fun anymore."

I heard there was drama in the past.  Probably had some more going on.  I think that's the worst reason of all to quit a project.  The trolls win and users lose.

UPDATE:  Maybe not drama.  Found this Reddit thread.  Maybe it's just project fatigue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/nwk9ag/pcem_ibm_pc_emulator_needs_developers/

16 hours ago, Keatah said:

Yah. That's a "thing" with software. Once the updates stop coming everyone thinks the software also stops working.

A lot of times it does stop working..  OSes move on,  soon you have to hunt down old DLLs and other artifacts to get it to still run, doesn't support the latest features,  code stops compiling on newest compilers and nobody can be bothered to fix it.   There's a bunch of old emulators that were greate BITD, but are a PIA to get running on modern hardware.

But sometimes people will take over or fork the project and keep it going.   Like Dosbox-X is actively developed while the original DOSbox has barely been updated for years.

• Like 1

That sucks.   I really liked it and looked forward for each new release.    Was really excited when one of the Atari PCs got emulated.   Same with Commodore.  I had (and still do somewhere) an FIC 503+ and loved seeing that emulated as well.   

• 6 months later...