IGNORED

recommendations of little HDMI TV to play on?

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of a small TV capable of taking an HDMI input (preferably 1080p)?

I find myself sometimes wanting something like the little PSOne mini screen but able to play some of my Flashbacks that use HDMI.

The closest match I could find is this little smart mini TV from Aliexpress but it's pretty expensive and only goes up to 720p

H78c1f92a9f8c4962946e6c8e6fbf69d1Y.jpg

And it seems the only mini TV capable of taking 1080p is one like this which is probably better but I REALLY like the retro styling of the one above in comparison.

HTB1XGRHqbGYBuNjy0Foq6AiBFXaw.jpg

PS yes I realize the Flashbacks only use 720p but I have another use-case for a small TV that this would be used for but for that I really need 1080p

Edited by ComputerSpaceFan

Using the sadly seeming not updated anymore displaylag.com (since 2019, hopefully virus reasons only) I looked and their lowest size is a 19" a DYNEX from 2008 720p though, 18ms which is very low for a TV.  Next is a 2013 Samsung same size at 29ms which is the high end of acceptable before issues.  The 20" class shows 5 and 3 of them are 10-12ms, one at 18 another at 29 from between 2008-13.  Maybe you could find one of those old ones second hand locally or shipped.

Did a google search, this site seems updated still as it has 2020 models: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

I'm not sure how far they scale down in size on there, but you must realize it's a pipe dream thinking you'll get a 1080p set in some really small panel, they just didn't want to do that probably since you wouldn't see it anyway.

A lot of the much-smaller hdmi displays seem to focus on raspberry pi builds, which might help searching for them. 

Also there are those 'gaems' cases from a few years back, which have a screen and room to strap a system inside. Not exactly tiny, though.

I recently purchased my second 15.6" IPS portable monitor, which is probably bigger than you'd like, but a good size for me. They're the ones in the folding leatherette cases which makes them look like tablets. A lot of the 'big brand' 15.6" monitors are usb-c only (useless), but most of the generic 'mushroom brands' take hdmi or mini-hdmi (and come with adapter cable). Their screen quality is very nice, though I haven't lag tested them, since I use them mostly as a secondary novelty display.  Hori also makes a mobile IPS display which reviews well if lag is a huge concern. 

My thought on the new 15.6'er is to build a slim briefcase out as a mobile gaming setup for microconsoles. A variation on a couple case builds I've done (here) or (here). I was thinking pstv, switch, and analogue pocket for the consoles inside, but also considered consoles like mojo, shield, or small pc. I'm pretty sure I could power any of those, and the monitor, with one of those big 7 or 11-port usb charging adapters.

Edited by Reaperman