IGNORED

Awakening (Completed) batari Basic game

rsiddall

1 minute ago, Random Terrain said:

Thank you! I'm trying to decide what direction to go in next...

I've added some additional sounds, reworked some of the colors and tried to update the "elf".

I started working on sdata for sound effects (picking up loot):

sdata musicData = x
    13, 12, 19
    13, 12, 18
    13, 12, 17
    13, 12, 16
   0, 0, 0
    255, 255, 255
end

Not working like it should...will give it a break for now and look at the room examples. ?

Small update attached.

music-item.bas AwakeningRev8.bin

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rsiddall said:

Thank you! I'm trying to decide what direction to go in next...

I've added some additional sounds, reworked some of the colors and tried to update the "elf".

I started working on sdata for sound effects (picking up loot):

sdata musicData = x
    13, 12, 19
    13, 12, 18
    13, 12, 17
    13, 12, 16
   0, 0, 0
    255, 255, 255
end

Not working like it should...will give it a break for now and look at the room examples. ?

Small update attached.

music-item.bas 2.91 kB · 3 downloads AwakeningRev8.bin 8 kB · 124 downloads

Curious...who is downloading this? That's quite a jump in numbers.

Created an Intellivision/M-Network custom font for the score. Used RevEng's batari Basic font pack as reference. Same applies to "INTV" - I'm placing in the public domain. Feel free to take and use as your own. Just unzip the pack to your project's directory, and rename the font you want to use to "score_graphics.asm".

"INTV" looks good for space shooters, science fiction themed, etc.

font_INTV.gif.d85e35396dd5351608aa0154b77279fb.gif

rsiddal_batari_Basic_INTV.zip

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rsiddall said:

. . . sdata for sound effects . . .

Have you looked at this program:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_sound_with_bg_music

sdata is used for really long things like music. Your sound effect is pretty short, so all you need is normal data.

Try grabbing one of the sound effect example programs and put your data in there and see if it works.

For example, the data for part of the drums from Skate Boardin' looks like this:

data _SD_FireB

end

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Random Terrain said:

Have you looked at this program:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_sound_with_bg_music

sdata is used for really long things like music. Your sound effect is pretty short, so all you need is normal data.

Try grabbing one of the sound effect example programs and put your data in there and see if it works.

For example, the data  for part of the drums from Skate Boardin' looks like this:

data _SD_FireB

end

I'll try what you suggest and see if it works. Going to go back a few versions to see if I can get that one sound to work and then bring the other sounds back in. I know the sound I made works (I've placed into another file, like you mentioned) just need to figure out what I did wrong).

Thanks for the suggestion!

On 7/7/2021 at 10:21 PM, Arenafoot said:

I download all homebrew ROM's I can find and archive them on my "List"!

No worries...I meant the large spike in downloads the short time it was posted. Previous versions were in the low teens but this version has over 120 downloads. Appreciate the interest in it...thank you. ?

Edited by rsiddall

On 7/7/2021 at 5:10 PM, rsiddall said:

I'll try what you suggest and see if it works. Going to go back a few versions to see if I can get that one sound to work and then bring the other sounds back in. I know the sound I made works (I've placed into another file, like you mentioned) just need to figure out what I did wrong).

Thanks for the suggestion!

I got the treasure sound to work (see attached) but I think there's a conflict with variables or how I've arranged things. I can't seem to resolve to my satisfaction in order to add to latest revision. I'll continue to work on it.

I did start looking at the additional rooms but not sure if this game would really benefit from more areas to explore with no real goal (other than picking up loot).

rolled-back_TEST.bin

Edited by rsiddall

As luck would have it, I'm workin on a Mac with Visual Studio Code (running the Atari Dev Studio). I'll see about installing VbB on my laptop and take a look.

I know for a fact that some of my variables aren't using the dim statement...my code is pretty cluttered.

Thanks for the info!!

Edited by rsiddall

Added bankswitching and moved some items over to make full use of the 8k. This will allow me to add future sounds and rooms without running out of space.

Sounds have been sorted/moved to Channel 0 and Channel 1 to keep them from "clearing/overriding" current sounds in use.

I've updated the rom and included a "Game Over" screen. There are two options to continue once that screen is reached:

1) press joystick up to return to title-screen

2) press fire button to start a new game.

I've included a REM statement with the following to (hopefully) cover examples used:

;```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

;

; Game code cobbled together by R. Siddall ?-??-2021

;
;  Examples by Duane A. Hahn (Random Terrain) using hints, tips
;  code snippets, and more from AtariAge members such as batari,
;  SeaGtGruff, RevEng, Robert M, Nukey Shay, Atarius Maximus,
;  jrok, supercat, GroovyBee, Karl G, SpiceWare and bogax.

AwakeningRev10.bin

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1

Small update: recolored the "title" and "game over" screens (added a little something to the "game over"). Created an additional room just to make sure I understood how it worked (SeaGtGruff) - you'll know it when you find it as it's different from the others. All previous rooms continue to connect correctly.

Working on some additional tunes. Have a lovely version of "Z" melody but can't include because that might be pushing the limits of a port. May post a video just so tune can be heard playing on Stella.

Have ordered a Harmony Cart so I can see if it works on a real 2600/7800.

AwakeningRev11.bin

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1

Quick question...

If I want the treasure to blink (treasure is missile0), is it possible to turn off/on when I have it popping into existence using "rand" for location? If it was being placed in a fixed position, I could move it off screen and back to give the appearance of blinking. But using a random location - is it possible to do?

Another thought was to turn the color on/off but that will affect the player0 graphic as well.

2 hours ago, rsiddall said:

Quick question...

If I want the treasure to blink (treasure is missile0), is it possible to turn off/on when I have it popping into existence using "rand" for location? If it was being placed in a fixed position, I could move it off screen and back to give the appearance of blinking. But using a random location - is it possible to do?

Another thought was to turn the color on/off but that will affect the player0 graphic as well.

Seems like you could have a variable remember missile0y, change missile0y to something like 150 so it's off screen, after the amount of time expires, put the original number back into missile0y, after the amount of time expires, repeat . . .

Seems like you could have a variable remember missile0y, change missile0y to something like 150 so it's off screen, after the amount of time expires, put the original number back into missile0y, after the amount of time expires, repeat . . .

What would that variable look like...any idea? I don't mind playing around with it but I can't find an example of this anywhere. It's not a deal-breaker by any means.

4 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

Any of the 26 variables that you have free. Example a = missile0y.

Speaking of variables...I used the counter/mcounter I have set up to make the treasure blink. Although in this case, it was resizing missile0 to give the appearance of blinking. Thanks for the brain-jog!

• Like 1

Still waiting on the Harmony cart. Looks like it's set to arrive this coming Tuesday.

In the meantime, I've tidied up the code, added several more rooms and included some additional sounds.

Attaching a manual to help with gameplay and story.

Getting close...

screen_shot1.jpg

screen_shot3.jpg

AwakeningRev12.bin

Edited by rsiddall
updated manual
  • Like 3

On 7/18/2021 at 12:48 AM, Random Terrain said:

Have you thought about using Collision Prevention so the guy won't stick to walls?

Okay, I finally had a chance to look at your example and have a few questions/observations...

I have to change the playfield constraints to fit my 8w x 16h sprite. Easy enough as it only really affects the top and bottom numbers since both of our sprites are 8 pixels wide.

It's the "Stop movement if a playfield pixel is in the way" part that is presenting the most challenge.

How did you arrive at the numbers used in the "Sprite with Collision Prevention" example?

I'm referring to the temp3, temp4, temp5 and temp6 numbers/division specifically.

Ex: 

temp5 = (player0x-10)/4

temp6 = (player0y-9)/8

if temp5 < 34 then if pfread(temp5,temp6) then goto __Skip_Joy0_Up

temp4 = (player0x-17)/4

if temp4 < 34 then if pfread(temp4,temp6) then goto __Skip_Joy0_Up

temp3 = temp5 - 1

if temp3 < 34 then if pfread(temp3,temp6) then goto __Skip_Joy0_Up

I can plug in random numbers until collision is detected but that takes a while and usually causes something else (that was working) to stop.

Would be easier to know how these numbers are related (other than knowing it's x/y axis).

Also, I noticed that Zed was a lot more speedier in his movements as I tinkered with the collision prevention...not sure I want that. So if I get it working, is there a way to slow his speed back down?

Any help appreciated! ?

Edited by rsiddall

When I change the size of a sprite, I plop pfpixel in those places and keep playing around until I get the correct numbers.

About the speed, are you using one of the example programs with 8.8 Fixed Point Sprite Movement? If so and something like _P0_L_R = _P0_L_R - 0.52 is too fast, you can change the number to something else. For example, _P0_L_R = _P0_L_R - 0.20.

• Like 1

When I change the size of a sprite, I plop pfpixel in those places and keep playing around until I get the correct numbers.

About the speed, are you using one of the example programs with 8.8 Fixed Point Sprite Movement? If so and something like _P0_L_R = _P0_L_R - 0.52 is too fast, you can change the number to something else. For example, _P0_L_R = _P0_L_R - 0.20.

Got it! And got it working...but I am guessing you probably don't like the "knock back" I have implemented (bouncing off the walls).

I am not using the 8.8 Fixed Point examples, so still can't figure out what is causing the speed up. Also noticed that once collision prevention (CP) is implemented, I can move freely while the fairy music is playing...so something else is affected with the CP introduction.

Honestly, the CP takes up a lot of memory...which could be used for more rooms, etc.

I'm leaning more towards the previous version as it gives the game a little more challenge/balance. ?

I've attached a version with it working. Notice the speedier ZED and free movement while music plays.

AwakeningRev13.bin

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1