IGNORED

Should more 3DO game console games be released on modern consoles?

8th lutz

Should more 3DO game console games be released on modern game consoles?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should more 3do games be released on modern game consoles?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the game

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I am asking that because Limited Run games announced Plumbers Don't Wear Ties for Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PC and Nintendo Switch at E3. I am not going to get the game at all.

I remembered reading 3DO game reviews back in the 90s and FMV games was one of the things 3DO was known for as a game console. I am not interest on a 3DO to this day.

I know there is market for some FMV games since Limited Run released games like Night Trap. 

I don't think there is a modern market for releasing games that were originally on the 3DO game console.

Edited by 8th lutz

Are there any games on the 3DO that are both

• good
  • not available on other systems?

I actually don't know and am too lazy to research it myself, so maybe someone can tell me so I don't have to figure it out myself~

I know 3DO Road Rash is supposed to be pretty excellent, but I imagine that the PC version is better in every way, which would make a rerelease of the 3DO version pretty pointless. It also has a licensed soundtrack, which means it probably wouldn't happen anyway without some changes, for that matter.

As a rule, I've become increasingly fond of the idea of re-releasing games onto newer platforms, particularly if the old platform is obscure.

That said, I'm not just throwing money down the drain on every weird release out there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 8th lutz said:

I am asking that because Limited Run games announced Plumbers Don't Wear Ties for Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PC and Nintendo Switch at E3. I am not going to get the game at all.

I don't like this, allowing a meme reviewer to act like this game was even known and pretending like most games on the 3Do are like it, and then having LRG encourage it is enraging. It messes with accurate historical information in place of misleading revisionism. 

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

know 3DO Road Rash is supposed to be pretty excellent, but I imagine that the PC version is better in every way/

Nope.

Also Immercenary re-released with todays internet connections would mean you could have thousands of people running around leveling up and fighting each other on the battlefield. Game was released before connections were viable but had the template of a ever changing MMO world build for SP, that's an EA game too. Would work great for MP, maybe they could sell some microtransactions. 

As for 3DO exclusives that I think would work, or better versions:

Immercenary

Need for Speed

Crashnburn

Twisted

Icebreaker

Monster Manor

Gridders

Po'ed

Doctor Hauzer

Armageddon

Phoenix 3

Demolition Man

Slayer

Deathkeep

Casper

Eye of Typhoon

Crime Patrol

Crime Patrol 2

Star Fighter

Slam n' jam

Space Pirates

Guardian War

Quarantine

Jurassic park

off the top of my head, all better than a game that was barely sold no one knew about until someone decided to lie about the 3DO for clicks. 

Edited by Leeroy ST
  • Like 1

I’ve had a 3DO since ‘95 & most of the games I’m interested in.  That said, i would 100% be on board with 3DO games coming to modern consoles, especially if some of them were cleaned up.  I’d like to see Way Of The Warrior re-released, even without the White Zombie soundtrack if they could tweak it a little to be more playable.  Captain Quazar too.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Are there any games on the 3DO that are both

• good
  • not available on other systems?

I actually don't know and am too lazy to research it myself, so maybe someone can tell me so I don't have to figure it out myself~

I know 3DO Road Rash is supposed to be pretty excellent, but I imagine that the PC version is better in every way, which would make a rerelease of the 3DO version pretty pointless. It also has a licensed soundtrack, which means it probably wouldn't happen anyway without some changes, for that matter.

Yes and Yes. Not many. But a handful.

There are also a few that are available on other consoles but *better* on 3DO - specifically Return Fire, Gex, PO'ed, Off World Interceptor, Need For Speed, Road Rash, Wing Commander III, Total Eclipse.

8 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

Nope.

Why?

4 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Yes and Yes. Not many. But a handful.

There are also a few that are available on other consoles but *better* on 3DO - specifically Return Fire, Gex, PO'ed, Off World Interceptor, Need For Speed, Road Rash, Wing Commander III, Total Eclipse.

I see. I don't know anything about the 3DO, but at least it seems to have better games than the CD-i.

I voted no. If games rereleased what would the point of owning an actual 3DO is? 

I think half the problem with the library is that all the decent games got ported. There is a few rough gems in there, but they look awful now. 

I don't know if this suggestion of plumbers don't wear ties being rereleased is some belated April fools joke someone mistyped the upload date or something, but if real the cost of it needs to be tokenistic or free to start with. Its barely worth $5 when it was new, even less now. 

• Sad 1

I have always been interested in the 3DO but the barrier to entry for somebody who has no games or equipment is too high.

Regarding Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties, as a kid without a 3DO who read gaming magazines extensively, I certainly knew about it in the 90s. AGVN, who I don’t care for, may have introduced it to the kids, but it wasn’t THAT obscure back when, even if nobody played it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 9:52 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Interesting. Perhaps I will do some research myself, but as I don't have a 3DO and dislike software emulation in general, I doubt I will ever play it.

3DO

are pretty cheap to get, especially since all versions are region free. Outside a handful of Korea, US, and Japan exclusives you need a Sanyo or Goldstar for which isn't many, and there are ways around some of those in the hardware settings.

1 hour ago, Leeroy ST said:

3DO

are pretty cheap to get, especially since all versions are region free. Outside a handful of Korea, US, and Japan exclusives you need a Sanyo or Goldstar for which isn't many, and there are ways around some of those in the hardware settings.

I have important errands to take care of today (and I really should have gone to sleep already because of that), but it is possible that I may go to Akiba in 16 or 17 hours if I finish what I have to do and am not completely covered in sweat from running around outside in the miserable heat (which I probably will be). I will check 3DO prices if I do go there, but I know for a fact that the 3DO software selections here in town are basically non-existant and consist of maybe 3~5 titles each if the store even carries 3DO games/hardware, and many do not. I'd honestly rather spend that cash on Japanese Mega Drive, Neo Geo (Pocket (Color)), Saturn, and Dreamcast games, but we'll see.

9 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I have important errands to take care of today (and I really should have gone to sleep already because of that), but it is possible that I may go to Akiba in 16 or 17 hours if I finish what I have to do and am not completely covered in sweat from running around outside in the miserable heat (which I probably will be). I will check 3DO prices if I do go there, but I know for a fact that the 3DO software selections here in town are basically non-existant and consist of maybe 3~5 titles each if the store even carries 3DO games/hardware, and many do not. I'd honestly rather spend that cash on Japanese Mega Drive, Neo Geo (Pocket (Color)), Saturn, and Dreamcast games, but we'll see.

Software is easy since it's region free, you can just buy cheap online if there isn't much of a selection (worst case burn discs but that's not authentic). But hardware should be cheap everywhere. 

Well, I found 3 3DO systems. One was in a box (I forgot to check to see if it was CIB, but it probably was or close to CIB) for 15000 yen. One was system only with no controllers/cables/anything else at all for 9000 yen. The other had a composite/audio cable and maybe power for 9000. I found a grand total of zero 3DO games. I don't know. I don't see any reason to buy a 3DO at all when I can play almost every good game that got released on the 3DO on better systems that I already own that are not the 3DO.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 9:48 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Well, I found 3 3DO systems. One was in a box (I forgot to check to see if it was CIB, but it probably was or close to CIB) for 15000 yen. One was system only with no controllers/cables/anything else at all for 9000 yen. The other had a composite/audio cable and maybe power for 9000. I found a grand total of zero 3DO games. I don't know. I don't see any reason to buy a 3DO at all when I can play almost every good game that got released on the 3DO on better systems that I already own that are not the 3DO.

I don't agree with this, a large number of 3DO games aren't on better systems and a good chunk that are are better on the 3DO. It's region free so getting cheap games from online is an option or maybe there are some other retro stores in Japan, of course I don't know anything about that country. 

On 7/1/2021 at 7:47 AM, str0m said:

No copy protection on 3DO.........although the Goldstar one can't play cdr's (sure it's that one)

I'm not sure that's the one you're thinking of but the one that has issues paying CDrs can with some slight changes to the ISO when burning to disc someone found out. I looked into that long ago. 

strangely, while 3Do has no copy protection and it's region free and official titles can be played on every machine (with a small number of exclusive exceptions) it had some of the best encryption for the hardware itself and it took forever for the homebrew scene to start, and even now emulation is still being worked on. 

On 6/15/2021 at 7:42 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

Of all the 3DO games; why did they pick one of the worst?  So stupid... 

Notoriety. As a general concept, I have no issues with new releases of 3DO games- but the simple truth is, it didn't have much market presence & most people don't know its library.

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties got AVGN coverage, so people have heard of it. "Oh, it's that terrible game! I should buy it, it'll be so funny!" Unless retro media makers suddenly start talking about the 3DO, I'm not sure there's enough profit potential to warrant anything beyond maybe an Evercade cart (assuming they can get the games to run on it.)

• Like 1