IGNORED

Runes of Moria - WIP 3D First Person on Vanilla 4k

rossum

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

What did you change?

A few suggestions:

• Allow moving sideways (Fire + Left/Right)
  • I don't know how you determine the color of a wall (there seems to be some logic behind it), but it would help navigating and mapping if the colors do not repeat on consecutive walls.
  • The walls sometimes look lacerated at top and bottom, can that be avoided?

The change exploits a visual artifact on CRTs that produces nice vertical hairlines between blocks. This gives an impression of much higher resolution. I don't know if the effect is as visible on PAL CRTs. A few clumsy pictures from my NTSC CRT enclosed.

I like the idea of strafe but have other plans for the fire button. will try it and see how it feels.

The map is evolving to make navigation clearer (but not too clear).

Wall laceration is a consequence of cheating on the math, am looking at ways of improving it. Moria is old and crumbly after all....

IMG_7942.JPG

IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7940.JPG

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, rossum said:

The change exploits a visual artifact on CRTs that produces nice vertical hairlines between blocks. This gives an impression of much higher resolution. I don't know if the effect is as visible on PAL CRTs. A few clumsy pictures from my NTSC CRT enclosed.

This works in Stella too if you enable TV effects.

9 minutes ago, rossum said:

Wall laceration is a consequence of cheating on the math, am looking at ways of improving it. Moria is old and crumbly after all...

One day you have to explain your math. It is really impressive.

On 6/18/2021 at 9:27 AM, rossum said:

I like the idea of strafe but have other plans for the fire button.

Maybe you could have left/right be for rotating left and right, and down+left/down+right be for strafing left and right.  So you won't be able to back up without turning around.  Just an idea.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 10:27 PM, rossum said:

This is new to me.
I can see that the pics have wall steps of 4 dots and sometimes 1 of those dots is turned off to make the vertical black lines.
Can you explain (or point to an explanation) how this works?
Thanks.

I don't think the reason has been fully explored. The vertical lines are there where two interlaced lines meet. I suppose the change from bright to dark and vice versa isn't spot on. So when a horizontal line ends, it ends slightly earlier. When it starts, it starts slightly later. And the resulting gaps form the vertical lines.

If you use Stella, you can experiment with the various TV filtering presets. Or switch to Custom preset and play with the TV effect parameters. You can do this live by selecting any setting via POS1/End hotkeys and changing it via Page-Up and Down.

Thanks.
I still don't understand but at least I'm in good company.
Perhaps it's something to do with how fast the TIA can change the signal level or how fast a typical TV can follow the change.
After all, TV's are designed for continuous tone images rather than sharp edges.

Cleverly exploited though.

1 minute ago, stepho said:

Perhaps it's something to do with how fast the TIA can change the signal level or how fast a typical TV can follow the change.

Definitely the latter. 

2 minutes ago, stepho said:

After all, TV's are designed for continuous tone images rather than sharp edges.

Yes, the bandwidth of the analog signal is limited. Also the cathode ray cannot change infinitely fast.

I suppose the effect varies quite a lot between CRTs. Probably it is even more pronounced on bad ones. :)   

3 minutes ago, stepho said:

Cleverly exploited though.

AFAIK @johnnywc was the first who used this effect for the bricks in Zookeeper.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...