IGNORED

New VCS "Retail Launch" Thread! [COMBINED]

Mockduck
Message added by justclaws

Combined different retail threads, to avoid confusing duplicate/conflicting information later.

18 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Out of curiosity, did they have a demo unit set up, or are they strictly box-only sales?

We don't have Micro Center stores around here, but I'll be in your neck of the woods this weekend.  If there are any still in stock (they're showing 8 at the DFW store as of today), I may swing by and see what they look like in the flash.

I ordered online with in store pickup.  I did not look for store display, just picked them up from customer service.  Very convenient way to get something you know you want.

The units did not have price tags on them.  Normally when I do online ordering with in store pivk up the items have price tags on them.  However the website says they are located the DYI section of the store.   Here's the link to the store map with DYI located:  https://www.microcenter.com/FindIt/?productID=627563&storeID=131

Edited by rayik
  • Like 3

Swung by the DFW store yesterday while we were in town.  Nice layout, and pleasant to be a in a Micro Center again; I used to go to a couple of the ones in SoCal occasionally back when I still lived there, and found them to be fairly decent for normal PC needs.

Anyway, the VCS was in stock.  No demo units running (which was expected), so couldn't really do much more than look at the box, which was sealed.  Having said that, I really do feel that a better job could have been done with the graphic design on the packaging - there's too much blank space with the 'Atari VCS' name also dominating over everything for my taste.

Spoke with the manager for a couple of minutes.  He said that they sold two units pretty much immediately after they went on sale and that I was the third person to show any interest, but that nobody had called or emailed to ask about availability or to have them hold one for collection.  I was also the first (and only) person to walk in since those two were sold who even knew that they had them.

And that was about it.  At least a couple of folks were able to get them, which is a good thing in my book.  Without some marketing changes, though, it looks safe to expect this to remain a very niche device.

• Like 1

@x=usr(1536)   

Microcenter is a pretty amazing store.  I'm finding them more and more price competitive on a variety of pc stuff compared to online only outlets.

Neat that they had them on a shelf.  Saw a picture and looks like they are with Atari branded pc controllers.  No surprise no demo units considering the few they had in stock.  Also, with folks accustomed to xbox and playstation, any Atari demo until would probably discourage rather than iencourage sales. 

Did you see the controllers on a shelf?   Looks like they had 3 originally nand I doubt they are flying off the shelves.

Secret to Microcenter is to order Online in whatever store you can get to physically and pick it up.  You get to go to the Customer Service desk to pick up your order skipping all the lines.  The only bad thing is you cannot actually pay online, you have to do it in store but not such a big deal since you are going to be there anyway.  Love me some Microcenter!

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, rayik said:

@x=usr(1536)   

Neat that they had them on a shelf.

Not exactly.  I asked one of the staff where I could find one and they brought a box out of the back; as far as I could tell, they weren't on the shelves.  IIRC, they were an online-only item, so this is understandable.

On 6/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, rayik said:

Did you see the controllers on a shelf?   Looks like they had 3 originally nand I doubt they are flying off the shelves.

Nope.  Thinking about it, I flat-out forgot to even ask about the controllers.

On 7/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, Chris Brockman said:

Secret to Microcenter is to order Online in whatever store you can get to physically and pick it up.  You get to go to the Customer Service desk to pick up your order skipping all the lines.  The only bad thing is you cannot actually pay online, you have to do it in store but not such a big deal since you are going to be there anyway.  Love me some Microcenter!

Sometimes the lines at the local Micro Centers can get pretty long so this is definitely something people should take advantage of. 

• Like 1

If you're not doing the online ordering, go early, or go during the week. The local Micro Center is PACKED on the weekend.

There's a Guitar Center and Sam Ash music shop close to MC, I usually hit all three...but during the week when school is in so I don't have to listen to kids "shredding" at Guitar Center :D

On 7/2/2021 at 3:56 PM, nopaybob said:

Not available at GameStop yet but still showing 7-02 on the site?

As of right now, the site shows an expected date of the 8th on the GameStop site:

https://www.gamestop.com/search/?q=atari+vcs&lang=default

No idea if it will just be online orders or they will be getting stock in stores... the All In bundle is the only item with an expected date. The Base system and controllers just show Sold Out.

Oh, and the All In product page says that the release date is TBD.

Edited by stirrell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, revrunt said:

I just got it the NEW vcs at Best Buy yesterday! came with a speaker hat.

so far love it! but wish I could play arcade version of pacman! anyone know how?

I believe you could play it on Antstream Arcade? I haven’t tried Antstream myself.

4 hours ago, stirrell said:

I believe you could play it on Antstream Arcade? I haven’t tried Antstream myself.

I like the service and it offers a wide variety of classic games.   Pac Man is one of them.   If you have a solid internet connection then Antstream is a solid option.   Definitely worth a look.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swlovinist said:

I like the service and it offers a wide variety of classic games.   Pac Man is one of them.   If you have a solid internet connection then Antstream is a solid option.   Definitely worth a look.  

Seemed spotty for me (probably my connection) but some games I could feel the latency.  Others seemed perfectly fine.  I think it was Metal Slug that was a bit slow and I think even a few times got that dreaded pixelization issue streaming services have.  But like Burger Time and such were pretty responsive.

My complaint is that all the high score places are of impossibly high scores... like seriously insane amounts like AIs/Bots got them...

20 hours ago, revrunt said:

I just got it the NEW vcs at Best Buy yesterday! came with a speaker hat.

so far love it! but wish I could play arcade version of pacman! anyone know how?

Antstream has Pac Man. 

Did you preorder from Best Buy before the launch? I wanted to get an order with the free speakerhat but was not able to ever see the deal on the best buy web site. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say... MicroCenter is totally awesome.

I grew up in the DC Metro Area, and I remember the one in Fairfax / Vienna. It had previously been an Ames or some kind of grocery store. They turned it into a MicroCenter back in 1993. I was totally just a kid then. I came back to Northern Virginia to just check things out in 2019 (pre-pandemic), a full 26 years later... and when I went to go buy something and they asked for my last name, they had my old Vienna, Virginia mailing address from when I was a kid... it totally blew my mind. I had moved a full 7 times since then... hahah. I loved MicroCenter.

When they first opened, I was super-nerded out and part of a super secret gang of BBS hackers called INC... International Network of Crackers. We would crack / hack full versions of software, break the copy protection, and then turn around and upload it to our "warez" distribution network of BBSes around the world. MicroCenter wouldn't hire me, hahah... go figure. But I got a job at the Mc.Donalds down the street, and then got a job at CompUSA. Once I got a job at CompUSA, I never downloaded or shared pirated games ever again. As an adult, I've re-bought everything I'd ever had or illegally shared... and I was a programmer myself for a good 20+ years before I got into management or whatever this is called now. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I grew up in the DC Metro Area, and I remember the one in Fairfax / Vienna. It had previously been an Ames or some kind of grocery store. They turned it into a MicroCenter back in 1993. I was totally just a kid then. I came back to Northern Virginia to just check things out in 2019 (pre-pandemic), a full 26 years later... and when I went to go buy something and they asked for my last name, they had my old Vienna, Virginia mailing address from when I was a kid... it totally blew my mind. I had moved a full 7 times since then... hahah. I loved MicroCenter.

When they first opened, I was super-nerded out and part of a super secret gang of BBS hackers called INC... International Network of Crackers. We would crack / hack full versions of software, break the copy protection, and then turn around and upload it to our "warez" distribution network of BBSes around the world. MicroCenter wouldn't hire me, hahah... go figure. But I got a job at the Mc.Donalds down the street, and then got a job at CompUSA. Once I got a job at CompUSA, I never downloaded or shared pirated games ever again. As an adult, I've re-bought everything I'd ever had or illegally shared... and I was a programmer myself for a good 20+ years before I got into management or whatever this is called now. 

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

23 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

?‍♂️?‍♀️???

Now they'll be coming to get you!