IGNORED

Montezuma's Revenge... finished now(maybe)?

TheRaven81

The above is the first thread I had read on the topic, and rather than necro that one, I made this one.

Montezuma's Revenge has been re-made, re-mastered, whatever you want to call it, presumably by its original developer, Robert Jaeger:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1421120/Montezumas_Revenge/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.normaldistribution.montezumasrevenge

I wonder if it's got an end and is able to be completed/beaten now?

Edited by TheRaven81
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Yautja said:

By the end of 2020, Robert Jaeger shared a teaser with the upcoming complete final version of the game: https://bit.ly/3gB5S02

So the original Dev is completing it eh? That's pretty awesome. Always wondered what it would be like if the expanded game had actually been finished.

Here's the macOS/iOS/iPad version (It's only $2.99!)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/montezumas-revenge/id509963793

From the facebook page 

Retro Cartridge update:

NES version: It's coming along just great. I'm a little biased, but I think this is the most beautiful NES game I've ever seen. Video is a tease of the new background music. It's running on an original NES and looks great on the Retron too. Unfortunately, the chip shortage really put a bump in the road of our distribution plans. We are currently discussing options with a few different publishers and distributors. If you're a publisher we'd like to hear from you, especially if you have good distribution in Europe and South America.

Atari "Director's Cut": This will be the completion of the 48k 1983 version in my vision. I'm personally working on the Director's Cut Boss challenges along with other new features right now. These features will first be seen on the Atari 800 cartridge but will make it to the cross-platform version. We'd be interested in hearing from publishers who might be interested in this product too. I'll share some more media on this soon.

• Like 2

noticed new elements compared to the original version:
- the snakes turn towards the hero
- level number
- indicator showing the direction

- music

The video from the second post shows Montezumas explsion

-----------------------

- (first video) collecting figurines

- (first video) new type of door

Edited by xxl

Funny thing, I met him (Robert Jaeger) one time at the Summer CES in Chicago.  He was there with his father. just a shy kid with big hair.  (I was too, LOL, but without the big hair.)  They had a little booth set up in a corner, and I remember we talked about Player/Missile graphics for a bit.  This was around 1984-85 or so.  It was a just a demo then, I think.  It all look pretty impressive as I remember.

It's kind of disappointing to find out that the Atari version was left unfinished back then. I was kind of excited when I recently obtained a cart of the game from Video 61. It's in a brown cart case with a spring-loaded dust cover, and a silver/black metal backplate. No label on it besides a white sticker with "Montezuma's Revenge" written on it with a black thin sharpie. This is the board inside:

IMG_20210617_001346_1.thumb.jpg.45721afeac11519bfe0d565a5bcb5450.jpg

Not really sure what I just bought for $19.95? It doesn't have a fancy title screen, starting up it looks like this one here:
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-montezuma-s-revenge_6762.html 

Edited by TheRaven81

You just bought the 16kB ROM version that has been “going around” since the 80s which Video61 burned on two EPROMs (very likely without any license) and stuck it in a generic cartridge PCB and charged you 20 bucks for it. This file is simply free to download “everywhere” even at the site you mentioned....

All in all, 20 bucks isn’t a bad price for the materials and work involved, but don’t expect to find any original or rare prototype.

Edited by Level42

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, tjlazer said:

Now put on a nice label on it and play the game.

That's something I was actually hoping I could get someone to do for me- because the copy i bought has no label, I was wondering if someone would be able to print & mail me a good one to stick on there. I actually don't have a printer or the funds to buy one at the moment. I could even make the image if someone gave me required pixel dimensions to use for it.