IGNORED

Need RF cables for my setup

TheRealOC

I'm setting up an RF section in my setup for some older consoles that I haven't gotten composite-modded yet and here's what I came up with:

1) Got this passive RF combiner/switch - 16 inputs, 1 output. Accepts both NTSC and PAL RF signals. 

image.thumb.png.d1d4299040cf8fa4befccaea0f7afbb1.png

2) That will output to this powered Channel Master RF amplifier (1 RF input, 1 RF output). 

image.thumb.png.6545656509a81e4a70a3167fdaeb33f6.png

3) That will send a single RF output to this NTSC RF-to-composite demodulator (should have just gotten a VCR, but this guy actually works quite well), which outputs a composite signal to either a composite switch, or directly to the TV. 

image.thumb.png.0f7cf67bc97078c9184e5b385e822af8.png

My question is: I'm guessing that if I hook up a bunch of RF-based consoles to this setup at once, I'm probably going to have to deal with some interference. I got a packet of a ferrite cores to try and minimise that.

But now, I'm looking for good-quality shielded RCA-style RF cables to connect the combiner to the amplifier, and the amplifier to the de-modulator (and possibly also to replace the consoles' own stock RF cables in some cases - currently looking into replacing the RF cable on my Atari 2600). 

Would shielded RF cables like this one from Monoprice be a good option (with the goal of reducing interference and cross-talk as much as possible)? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2680 Would anyone be able to recommend any alternatives?

Many thanks!

Edited by TheRealOC

Someone else will have to comment on that specifically, but I would be curious to see if sending the signal through 3 boxes and 3-4 cables before it reaches the TV works well or not.  I tried two different "RF modulators" from Radio Shack, and both just totally shredded the signal.  I use my original Atari cable with electrical tape over the frayed parts, with an adapter at the end to screw it right onto the cable jack, and then coiled up the excess with a twist tie and hung it on a nail and I get a near perfect picture unless it's a complicated signal like Vanguard.  For my commodore, I was getting an insanely wavy picture, but I used a short coaxial (cable) cord left over from the cable guy years ago, and put an adapter on it and it cleaned up pretty well.  I was very surprised that I could get such a clear picture with the original cord (as you can see below, my RF cord is beat to heck) - coiled and not laying against any power cords, I guess.  Mileage may vary.  Obviously you want to go further than I did, but that's all I know, but I can refer you to others such as this blog post:

IMG_6096.thumb.JPG.5f0a63b8efb871f82961b9d9de25ae0f.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

I found that even when I had good/great pictures straight to the TV, or straight to my switchbox with only one thing plugged in, plugging in a 2nd - even in my manual switchbox often started causing some problems. If your switchbox is more of a splitter then you're probably l going to have more issues. I did spend some time playing around with splitters and I could sometimes get two systems to look okay but it wasn't workable for all of my systems and I just went back to my manual switchbox. RF can definitely be frustrating.

Unlike with the composite cables, I havnen't found specific coax cables to really make a difference. Most of my coax is new from Amazon since I didn't have any existing coax other than some very long runs left over from the cable guy.

I use the RF cables that console5 sells. They have a 3ft and 6ft. I use 3ft cables as I only need the RF for testing consoles and don't typically have them connected that way to play. But they have been the best non-stock cables I've found for this use.

https://console5.com/store/3-foot-0-9m-gold-plated-coaxial-audio-video-rca-cable-rg59u-75ohm.html

https://console5.com/store/6-foot-1-8m-gold-plated-coaxial-audio-video-rca-cable-rg59u-75ohm.html