IGNORED

Atari 8-bit hardware to replace 600/800XL

jlandor

Hi Everyone.

Are there shrink-wrapped new hardware solutions on the market that do the job of a 600/800XL?  And a 1050 disk drive?

I have heaps of cartridges & 5.25" games which I can't use now as my 600XL & 1050 are both dead.  I am not a hardware literate so I can't do maintenance on these.  I was vaguely interested in the Brewing Academy's 1088XEL/XLD options, but they offer a heap of hardware options which I can't navigate.  I also can't find in Australia any second-hand 600/800XLs for sale.  Any help would be appreciated.

cheers,

Jonathan

Edited by jlandor

As an Australian I scored my 600XL only recently for a great price, got it sent from WA to Melbourne.

They are available, you just need to be patient. You aren't running the Ingot power supply on your 600xl are you? If so, try another PSU before writing the machine off.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2021 at 2:45 AM, jlandor said:

Hi Everyone.

Are there shrink-wrapped new hardware solutions on the market that do the job of a 600/800XL?  And a 1050 disk drive?

I have heaps of cartridges & 5.25" games which I can't use now as my 600XL & 1050 are both dead.  I am not a hardware literate so I can't do maintenance on these.  I was vaguely interested in the Brewing Academy's 1088XEL/XLD options, but they offer a heap of hardware options which I can't navigate.  I also can't find in Australia any second-hand 600/800XLs for sale.  Any help would be appreciated.

cheers,

Jonathan

Why don’t you reach out to the owner of the Brewing Academy? I’m sure he would be glad to help you navigate the options so you could make a decision.

Also if you are can wait a little there is this: The worlds smallest Atari 8-bit

There is also this, although it seems to have stalled: éclaireXL

There may be others out there but this could get you started. Anything this day and age is going to require some work on your part. I would also recommend you take some time to see if you can fix your 600xl yourself. The are easy machines to troubleshoot and there are plenty of people here who would be willing to help you. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

Also if you are can wait a little there is this: The worlds smallest Atari 8-bit

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/myteks-576nuc-atari-computer

the ordering links for the 576NUC+ are up so you can get an idea of cost, they will go live soon. I'm biased as I am on the beta team for this device but for the cost I don't think it can be beat for a modern solution using original chips. 

As for the 1050 that's going to be a little more difficult if you really want to use real disks. If not then get the NUC with the FUJINET option and you should be good to go. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

Why don’t you reach out to the owner of the Brewing Academy? I’m sure he would be glad to help you navigate the options so you could make a decision.

There may be others out there but this could get you started. Anything this day and age is going to require some work on your part. I would also recommend you take some time to see if you can fix your 600xl yourself. The are easy machines to troubleshoot and there are plenty of people here who would be willing to help you. 

Funny, that. I saw a video on youtube yesterday going into the Eclaire. Looks rather great, especially with native cartridge compatibility. Hopefully they'll get back on track.

As for repairing - yeah, depending on issue - maybe there's a chip loose in a socket, a failing capacitor, dying power supply (as was said, beware the ingots for they will do nothing but create big paperweights), or other things. Heck, a dying chip will start to produce heat -which only accelerates the process. Heatsinks probably wouldn't hurt, but they will last only for so long before the internals wear out anyway...  the resistors look as if they'll outlast everything else by far...

2 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

the ordering links for the 576NUC+ are up so you can get an idea of cost, they will go live soon. I'm biased as I am on the beta team for this device but for the cost I don't think it can be beat for a modern solution using original chips. 

That’s a good price!

On 6/17/2021 at 6:55 AM, orpheuswaking said:

As for the 1050 that's going to be a little more difficult if you really want to use real disks. If not then get the NUC with the FUJINET option and you should be good to go. 

I was just looking at this. I've been waiting for an affordably priced modern equivalent. When do you expect we can order? I'm so getting one of these.

On 6/17/2021 at 6:45 PM, Mazzspeed said:

As an Australian I scored my 600XL only recently for a great price, got it sent from WA to Melbourne.

They are available, you just need to be patient. You aren't running the Ingot power supply on your 600xl are you? If so, try another PSU before writing the machine off.

It's a new power supply that I got from 8-bit classics.com

On 6/17/2021 at 11:32 PM, mdivancic said:

thanks Mike.  I'll take a look at the new hardware and repairs options.

On 6/18/2021 at 12:17 AM, CommodoreDecker said:

Funny, that. I saw a video on youtube yesterday going into the Eclaire. Looks rather great, especially with native cartridge compatibility. Hopefully they'll get back on track.

As for repairing - yeah, depending on issue - maybe there's a chip loose in a socket, a failing capacitor, dying power supply (as was said, beware the ingots for they will do nothing but create big paperweights), or other things. Heck, a dying chip will start to produce heat -which only accelerates the process. Heatsinks probably wouldn't hurt, but they will last only for so long before the internals wear out anyway...  the resistors look as if they'll outlast everything else by far...

thanks Decker.  Unfortunately I'm not hardware literate so I wouldn't know where to start on the PCB.  I did open my case though and pulled out the chips, cleaned the contacts and replaced them, but this didn't fix the machine.  Grrr.

7 hours ago, jlandor said:

thanks Decker.  Unfortunately I'm not hardware literate so I wouldn't know where to start on the PCB.  I did open my case though and pulled out the chips, cleaned the contacts and replaced them, but this didn't fix the machine.  Grrr.

Do you get any type of video output or sound? Power LED?

• Like 1