IGNORED

What are some good racing and sports games for the Genesis/Mega Drive?

RetroSonicHero

• 2 weeks later...

I played Virtua Racing for the very first time today. Never played the arcade, Genesis, or 32X version. I thought it played pretty good and would not mind playing it some more. Unfortunately I understand it does not work in a 32X and I rarely have a Genesis without a 32X hooked up.

Does anybody know if there is anyway around this?

Sega Genesis sports games worth buying (IMO):

*PGA Tour series (EA) games EXCLUDING PGA Tour 96 (which tried to do polygons on the Genesis but the Genesis wasn't up to the task); PGA Tour III is the best game, but PGA Tour II and PGA European Tour are very good too

*NHL series (EA) games, especially NHLPA '93 and NHL 94; NHL 95 plays differently than other games in the series and has a longer learning curve but is also very good

*NFL/Joe Montana Football series (Sega) games, especially Joe Montana Sports Talk II and NFL '94 Starring Joe Montana

*College Football series (EA) games are good; my preferred one is College Football USA 97

*World Series Baseball (Sega) games; World Series '95 is probably the best game to pick up

*MLBPA Baseball (EA) is underrated

*FIFA International Soccer series (EA) is excellent; the first game allows some cheats that enable you to win with weak teams, while the second game ('95) is probably the best one

*WWF Raw and WWF Royal Rumble (Acclaim) are solid if you like button mashers

*Wimbledon Championship Tennis (Sega) and IMG International Tour Tennis (EA) are both solid

*Cyberball (Sega) is a solid game

Sega Genesis racing games worth buying (IMO):

*Virtua Racing (Sega) plays well, though if you have the 32X Virtua Racing Deluxe is better

*Mario Andretti Racing (EA) is good IMO; it offers three types of racing (Indy car, stock car, sprint car)

*Super Monaco GP (Sega) was already discussed but is solid

Incidentally, you can get Super Hang On via the Triple Score: 3 Games in 1 cartridge (also includes World Championship Soccer and Columns)

Super Hang-On is also with the Sega Geneis 6pak cart which is a hell of a bundle and deal since it's cheap.  Sonic, Rev of Shinobi, Hang On, Columns, Golden Axe, and Streets of Rage.  And I'll throw another vote down on Virtua Racing, say what you will I prefer and enjoy that version of it.  I got a Nomad a couple weeks or so back, finally got around to ordering a cart of the game which should be in the mail by now.

• Like 3

It looks okay on Mega Drive but hardly a patch on Rally. (STELLAR library music-esque soundtrack, though.) I haven’t played it either.

The Game Gear port is currently the most expensive Game Gear game, with boxed copies selling for thousands. I’ve tried the rom and… it ain’t worth it :) 

20 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

It looks okay on Mega Drive but hardly a patch on Rally. (STELLAR library music-esque soundtrack, though.) I haven’t played it either.

The Game Gear port is currently the most expensive Game Gear game, with boxed copies selling for thousands. I’ve tried the rom and… it ain’t worth it :) 

I did not realize there was a Game Gear port. Was it released in the US?

No, it was only released in Europe, and “released” is putting it much too strongly. There are probably only the low hundreds of copies known extant, from what I gather. Tarzan might be even rarer. Mortal Kombat 3, Tintin, and a few other oddball EU releases are similarly rare, but don’t command the craziness that Power Drive and Tarzan do.

• Thanks 1