IGNORED

ATARI ST TOS/GEM Icons

12 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

There are a couple of apps that deal with icons but I'm not sure what

their capabilities are, or if they will do what you are asking. Try these:

https://sites.google.com/site/stessential/system-tools

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16525

HTHs.  :)

Thank you for you links but that's not really what I'm looking for. That a native apps for the ST but I'm need a tool for Windows or better Linux. ;)

I don't think that there is any tool for Win, Linux what can extract icon bitmap data from TOS image. And I know exactly where they are (iTOS with new icons), it is just that this is not something what many people will ever use.

But thing can be done really simply. Just run emulator, go to Desktop appearance - there are all icons - 5 types .

Drive icon, trash can icon, ordinary file icon, runnable file icon and folder icon.  Or use good screenshot where all it is present.

Then can 'steal' them with some good paint program from it.

All icons have bitmap data and mask data. 2 colors only. In any res.

17 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I don't think that there is any tool for Win, Linux what can extract icon bitmap data from TOS image. And I know exactly where they are (iTOS with new icons), it is just that this is not something what many people will ever use.

But thing can be done really simply. Just run emulator, go to Desktop appearance - there are all icons - 5 types .

Drive icon, trash can icon, ordinary file icon, runnable file icon and folder icon.  Or use good screenshot where all it is present.

Hmm... with the emulation is a very good Idea! And how I can get the bomb and bee?

This are not desktop icons. Bee is mouse shape, bombs are shown by GEMDOS part, not GUI/GEM .

To get bee make it busy - not joke - like open floppy disk. Bombs - should run some crap SW what likes to crash ?

Well, I let someone other to post such SW . I know some games which crashes under certain conditions, but that needs little plus work to reach there.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 8:37 AM, Johnnii360 said:

Hi there!

Is there a possibility to extract the TOS/GEM icons from the TOS image? I want to create a small info page in the TOS style. I googled a lot but didn't find any icon packages.

Johnnii360, here are 11 TOS icons I made back in 2001 for my Linux desktop plus the Atari ST system font.  They are saved in PNG format with transparent background.  Hope that helps.

ICONS.ZIP

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 9:12 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Ha, yeah change your wallpaper to white, and screenshot.  Or you could go full on and use a pixel art package and recreate them manually (which probably would be better, as you won't have to deal with scaling issues.)  I could have sworn many many years ago I saw something that'd let you read in RSC files on Linux, or potentially through an Emulator.... may have to look into that again.

On 6/17/2021 at 11:00 AM, Cyprian said:

Atari icons can be found:

1) google images and phrase "atari TOS icons" (attached screen)

2) Icon images in TosPatch LZH files: https://www.markusheiden.de/atari/tospatch.html

icons_zip[1].gif

Nice, wonder if we can hack this to work on US TOS ROMs to include these icons?

6 hours ago, tjlazer said:

Nice, wonder if we can hack this to work on US TOS ROMs to include these icons?

Those icons are already used in TOS...or at least the first 12. I am pretty sure they are in TOS 2+.

If my memory is correct, you just need to add the icons to the NEWDESK.INF file. There are programs that do that which I cannot remember off the top of my head now.

No need to "hack" TOS. :)

Lot of misleading writes, pictures here.

There are only 5 icons in TOS 1.00-2.06 . And they are first icons on that pic. with 40 'TOS' icons. Other ones might be present in some 'patched' TOS-es, TOS extensions, alternative Desktops, etc.

Correct names would be: 

First: drive or logical drive icon - it is same for hard disks, so no, not floppy disk .

Second: that's folder and it is OK.

Third: Trash can (or bin) .

Fourth: Executable file - extension is PRG, TOS, APP, TTP .

Fifth: Data file or something like that. Not only txt files.

Whoever put it together should take more care about title and proper icon names. Was it some general retro 'activist', who thought that he got it all after 1 week with Atari ST ?

NEWDESK.INF does not contain icon shapes. But yes, there are programs with which can add and use new icons with regular TOS versions.  Here to add that it is not enough to just add icon (in TOS), need code what will show it in proper situation.  Like CD-ROM - there is nothing from CD-ROM support in TOS versions, so really no chance to show that icon. Special hard disk icon could be shown (by just using it for C++) - but no, it is not in any regular TOS v. Not even in Falcon TOS v.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, yeah change your wallpaper to white, and screenshot.  Or you could go full on and use a pixel art package and recreate them manually (which probably would be better, as you won't have to deal with scaling issues.)  I could have sworn many many years ago I saw something that'd let you read in RSC files on Linux, or potentially through an Emulator.... may have to look into that again.

Icons in TOS are part of regular RSC structure, and that can be simply extracted as regular RSC file.  So, it is possible to edit (TOS) icons self with some good RSC editor.

• Like 1

I have to say, I do have a CD-ROM icon on my TOS v2.06 desktop,

running on my Mega ST4 and a 2x SCSI CD-ROM drive. It's pretty

cool really (of course the CD-ROM support is not native as you

mentioned, it's from Anodyne Software's ExtenDos software).

I also have a telephone icon that starts my BBS software from

the desktop.

Thanks.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:46 PM, DarkLord said:

I have to say, I do have a CD-ROM icon on my TOS v2.06 desktop,

running on my Mega ST4 and a 2x SCSI CD-ROM drive. It's pretty

cool really (of course the CD-ROM support is not native as you

mentioned, it's from Anodyne Software's ExtenDos software).

I also have a telephone icon that starts my BBS software from

the desktop.

Thanks.

I've always wanted to track down an ACSI CD-ROM device.  ACSI to SCSI would be best (I already have an external 7 disc CD Changer that I sort of, almost got working with the TT, which is the ultimate Atari machine as it has both ACSI and SCSI!)

4 hours ago, leech said:

I've always wanted to track down an ACSI CD-ROM device.  ACSI to SCSI would be best (I already have an external 7 disc CD Changer that I sort of, almost got working with the TT, which is the ultimate Atari machine as it has both ACSI and SCSI!)

Never tried that route, always went pure SCSI.

At one point in time, I had 2 of those external CD changers (I think mine were Pioneers?)

on my BBS. I actually had no less than 10 CD's online. Fun times.   :)

17 hours ago, leech said:

ACSI CD ROM was never manufactured. And actually it is not possible. Because ACSI is actually old pre-SCSI SASI protocol, where commands have only 5 bits instead 8 - 3 bits hold target number. That means that is not possible to give commands needed for CD ROM access. To add that for instance in ACSI is not possible to perform capacity read command - that must be performed differently.  There is known 1 GB limit for hard disk access too.

So, only way with ST, STE is ACSI-SCSI adapter, such what works with ICD extended commands .  I have Plextor SCSI CD Writer PlexWriter 12/4/32 - pretty heavy, manufactured in 2000. Someone want to put his hands on it ?

Atari Corp. did announce and then produced prototype of CD-ROM back in 1985. and they again introduced CDAR 504 in 1988. (Only 500 unit was produced). Both CD ROM did use ASCI port. 

http://www.stformat.com/softhards/softhards-543.html

Info about 1985. CD ROM: https://www.atarimagazines.com/st-log/issue18/91_1_ST_USER.php

Thread on AtariAge: