IGNORED

Could R-Type be done on the 7800???

BIGHMW

I loved playing the arcade version in the late 80s and heard about its release on the SMS back then but wondered if it could ever be done for Lil' Sexy, my newly-acquired rebuilt CX24 (and CX78 Europads) 7800 controllers await even a demo version to get us all chompin' at the bit. With all the talent here on AA and specifically here on the 7800 forums with guys like @PacManPlus, @darryl1970 and others that leave behind a legacy of great ports we have seen down the years (Pac-Man Collection, Baby Pac-Man, UniWarS, Galaxian, Berzerk/Frenzy, Astro Blaster, Moon Cresta, etc.) that there's nothing that can't be done on her, as these devs have proven the MARIA chip is SO capable of doing so much more than the good-old ANTIC and GTIA chips on both the 8-bit and 5200 ever could do.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Oh yeah, I'd say it's doable.

Update: Come to think of it, I know plenty of Shmups that would definitely be doable on the 7800.

For example, Thunder Force by Technosoft: https://thunderforce.fandom.com/wiki/Thunder_Force

Or Zanac.  In fact I posited hacking Xevious into Zanac once.

• Like 2

Definitely.  If the Sega Master System and ZX Spectrum could have a good R-Type port, I see no reason why the 7800 version couldn't.

Speaking of which, it is strange that we didn't see an R-Type port for the Atari 7800...or an NES/Famicom port.  It was ported to many consoles and home computers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7800Knight said:

Definitely.  If the Sega Master System and ZX Spectrum could have a good R-Type port, I see no reason why the 7800 version couldn't.

Speaking of which, it is strange that we didn't see an R-Type port for the Atari 7800...or an NES/Famicom port.  It was ported to many consoles and home computers.

Especially since Nintendo had US arcade rights to R-Type.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7800Knight said:

Speaking of which, it is strange that we didn't see an R-Type port for the Atari 7800...or an NES/Famicom port.

Actually, there was an NES port of R-Type...except it was an unlicensed game called "Magic Dragon" that is merely a cheap knock-off of R-Type.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Tagging in @RevEng here:

I have had zero luck in nailing down a .vgm --> .mid --> .dfm process.  :( how feasible would it be to import .vgm directly and have it play on the 7800?

vgm appears to just be a realtime dump of each register hit... it makes sense that you couldn't convert through those formats.

I looked at one of the r-type vgm rips. Each song is ~200k. So I don't think it's feasible from a rom perspective to just take vgm on it's own and import. It's the same problem we find with midi files being very rom-expensive, since none of the repetitive bits of the song structure is encoded.

[edit...]

Hmmm, I think some PCM data was encoded in that one. Other ym2151 rips are about 20k per song, which is still a bit expensive, but at least doable.

Deflemask can import OPM files for it's ym2151 instruments. There's a vgm2opm converter somewhere out there, but you can also just grab the ripped opms instead. A good chunk of all of the games that ever played through a ym2151 is available.

The 7800.8bitdev.org wiki OPM Instrument Collection page has a link to the "Mega Arcade Collection" OPM pack, which includes the files for the R-Type games. (and a lot more) To save you the hunting, I've also attached a zip here with just the R-Type OPMs.

R-Type_OPM.zip

It's also worth mentioning that the x68000 collection on the same wiki page also has the R-Type OPMs used with that platform.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 2:59 AM, Defender_2600 said:

And yes, it certainly could be done very well on 7800. And that would be a ton of work. A very large donation could incentivize ... :)

I'd pitch in, just as long as i can also pay my monthly rent of course :) 

• Like 2