IGNORED

Could R-Type be done on the 7800???

BIGHMW

15 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

684758284_C64Dobkeratopsxl.thumb.PNG.95d364f810943ca0dc036d29e075c0df.PNG

That's from the crappy Rainbow Arts reskin of Katakis that Activision released, check the end of the unreleased R-Type 64 video I posted which to see how it would look including end of level guardian on the original unfinished port Activision cancelled due to deadline being missed. Looks a lot less 1983 C64 quality than what Rainbow Arts rushed out above. 

15 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

4 hours ago, oky2000 said:

That's from the crappy Rainbow Arts reskin of Katakis that Activision released, check the end of the unreleased R-Type 64 video I posted which to see how it would look including end of level guardian on the original unfinished port Activision cancelled due to deadline being missed. Looks a lot less 1983 C64 quality than what Rainbow Arts rushed out above. 

Personally, I consider the conversion of Manfred Trenz a masterpiece, a single man who had a few weeks to work on it. When I saw the game running I was amazed, gameplay, graphics, audio... I couldn't believe the C64 could handle that little wonder. That said, the incomplete version of Electric Dreams shows some interesting features but also some gaps, among which a rather monotonous palette and a not brilliantly fast scrolling despite the absence of some sprites and the absence of background graphics, a lack that I have hated in the Amiga version. Good work with the Dobkeratops graphics, having only three colors, but there is still the absence of the upper and lower background graphics that are present in the Manfred Trenz version. And while we cannot know if and what room for improvement the incomplete version of Electric Dreams could have shown, if there was more time available for development, it is equally true that Manfred Trenz's version could have been an even better product if he had more time and resources for development.

1546872471_R-TypeC64vs.thumb.png.dbc7dd7f8e368225ae7d45350cb56cc6.png

• Like 1

Manfred worked on that with Chris, who did the music for the game I did for Rainbow Arts as well I believe, I met them in the Rainbow Arts office in Duesseldorf (IIRC) a couple of times.  Ahh, the eighties, some memories remain. ? ?

Oh, and if I don't get R-Type for free anytime soon, I am just going to start randomly banning people. :mad:

:ponder:

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

35 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Manfred worked on that with Chris, who did the music for the game I did for Rainbow Arts as well I believe, I met them in the Rainbow Arts office in Duesseldorf (IIRC) a couple of times.  Ahh, the eighties, some memories remain. ? ?

Oh, and if I don't get R-Type for free anytime soon, I am just going to start randomly banning people. :mad:

:ponder:

I'll make a list..

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

And as much I would like to see a 7800 version of R-Type, it doesn't seem like it ever will...

Ha, After Atari actually produced something for the first time in many years, I am not sure I would ever say never again.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 4:01 PM, SlidellMan said:

Oh yeah, I'd say it's doable.

Update: Come to think of it, I know plenty of Shmups that would definitely be doable on the 7800.

For example, Thunder Force by Technosoft: https://thunderforce.fandom.com/wiki/Thunder_Force

That's how Thunder Force started? A bit bleepy version of the William Tell Overture? Where's the metal?  Thought the William Tell Overture is actually metal as hell though and there's a ton of metal covers of it this one being my favorite: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

That's how Thunder Force started? A bit bleepy version of the William Tell Overture? Where's the metal?  Thought the William Tell Overture is actually metal as hell though and there's a ton of metal covers of it this one being my favorite: 

Now here's a potential 7800 idea! Why not make a port of the original Thunder Force. It was never ported to the Sega Genesis so it would be extremely cool seeing a homebrew console port of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

The reason why I went with Thunder Force is because when compared with its sequels, it remains largely unknown and never got ported to the 8-Bit, C64, etc.

Fun fact: Technosoft was making a Master System version of TF1, but cancelled it.

WHOA! That's news to me. Where did you hear that tidbit of info?