IGNORED

8-Bit Software: A Preservation Effort

SoulBuster

25 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

Requires OS-B and I could only get it to boot in Altirra by setting the disk drive to Happy 1050 and using accurate sector timing.

The Happy 1050 is irritating but you should have accurate sector timing always enabled. It is needed by many protections.

I noticed that the Preservation Site shows the equipment and Software that was used to dump.

Here is my equipment for all dumps if you want to update the preservation web site

Disk Hardware: Panasonic JU-475-3C02 on a SuperCard Pro

Disk Software: a8rawconv-0.94

Cassette Software: Audacity 3.02

Cartridge Hardware and Software: AtariMax Maxflash USB Programmer

20 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

The Happy 1050 is irritating but you should have accurate sector timing always enabled. It is needed by many protections.

Thanks for the heads up.  I am not finding that I have needed for the most part in what I am currently archiving, but will probably need it set for playing with the rest of the archives.

For Murder on the Zinderneurf, a real 810 will work. If anything the 1050 Happy should make it crash as I think all EA stuff searches for a happy, so unless you set it to UN-Happy mode it should fail. But a real 810 works fine. And yes, for anything protected, no Burst SIO and Accurate sector timing is a must

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

I noticed that the Preservation Site shows the equipment and Software that was used to dump.

Here is my equipment for all dumps if you want to update the preservation web site

Disk Hardware: Panasonic JU-475-3C02 on a SuperCard Pro

Disk Software: a8rawconv-0.94

Cassette Software: Audacity 3.02

Cartridge Hardware and Software: AtariMax Maxflash USB Programmer

I little FYI, audacity has recently been taken over by a corporation who started using google services telemetry to collect data in violation of the GPL, as a result, the project has been forked (many times) and now exists as tenacity among other new versions. 

https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/06/audacity_fork/

https://github.com/tenacityteam/tenacity

• Like 3

2 hours ago, firebottle said:

Does the Atarimax automatically determine the ROM size & bank-switching method (if used)... or do you have to fiddle with some settings?

There is a list of configurations to choose from. I start small and go larger if it does not work.  Most are 8k or 16K standard. Then there are xegs, oss and some other more specific configurations.  Not really much to mess with, choose your configuration and dump it. Pretty simple.

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

I little FYI, audacity has recently been taken over by a corporation who started using google services telemetry to collect data in violation of the GPL, as a result, the project has been forked (many times) and now exists as tenacity among other new versions. 

https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/06/audacity_fork/

https://github.com/tenacityteam/tenacity

Good to know.  Glad I will not need it any more. No more cassettes.

• Like 1