IGNORED

Windows 11 compatibility on Atari VCS 800

0_obeWAN

Hello

This little message with a gallery of screenshots to reassure you about the future compatibility of Windows 11 on the Atari VCS 800.

Everything seems to be going well. Very impressed, I wait to discover more ^^

Installed on external USB M.2 SSD disk with WinToUSB.

Moved physicaly M.2 SSD disk to internal. Work great :)

2021-06-17_12h13_36.thumb.png.d3b8883893e666573398a14139fa01c4.png2021-06-17_12h11_18.thumb.png.718820748492c391a6629071368b0d47.png2021-06-17_12h10_15.thumb.png.630974ad19d5024d412e8d888d7e3919.png2021-06-17_12h10_01.thumb.png.8523b9075892ff03c66e3a630f3e8e9f.png2021-06-17_12h09_38.thumb.png.a039ad610af9bd98960d245e8d3176cf.png2021-06-17_12h09_29.thumb.png.21b80c5c17c1eaa2d4816775117b8488.png

File : 21996.1.210529-1541.co_release_CLIENT_CONSUMER_x64FRE_en-us.ISO
MD5: 179BFE07F7050093EE595DDD85A30201

BR

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

This looks good, geez to me it seems like only yesterday Windows 10 came out! I’ll definitely be installing this on my VCS at some point when it becomes available, I’ll wait untill the bugs and stuff get ironed out first like with any new OS that comes out. 

It is indeed still a little too early to put it in the main system, but I did not resist, I wanted to see what awaits us for the next few years, because we will say what we want, but on the scale of the planet Microsoft is inevitable.

Besides, I am as pleasantly surprised by this Windows 11 version as I was disappointed by the VHDX of Windows 10X in Hyper-V.

Or it's in my head, or the graphical interface seems even more fluid than with Windows 10. To be continued...

• Like 2

Hello, @justclaws @Keatah @joeatari1 @Atari_JaguarVCS @marss @SabertoothRetro

For your information, it is still possible to install Windows 11 with a local account, so you don't have to log in with a Microsoft account. This works with all Windows editions.

To do this, disconnect the network cable from the console before launching the installation.
During the installation when you will be asked to connect to the Wifi, at this moment use the keyboard shortcut Alt+F4, accept the contract, and you will have access to the creation of your local account.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

There's haters saying they don't like how 11 looks. Complaining it's too much like MAC OS. Ha! Maybe they should stop and think that MAC OS might actually look better than 10?

Tastes and colors are unique to each person, but it is true that there is a tendency to uniformity.
MacOS, Windows, and Gnome 40 which is close to it I think too. Personally I like it. 
This surface makeover without much change in the background suits me well. I wouldn't have liked to wait 2 months for the development of new compatible drivers, or to have to change the device because it is no longer supported by the manufacturer.

Really for the moment, I am very favorably surprised :)

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 11:44 AM, Keatah said:

There's haters saying they don't like how 11 looks. Complaining it's too much like MAC OS. Ha! Maybe they should stop and think that MAC OS might actually look better than 10?

Looks more like ChromeOS.  So there is that.

On 6/19/2021 at 2:08 PM, 0_obeWAN said:

Tastes and colors are unique to each person, but it is true that there is a tendency to uniformity.
MacOS, Windows, and Gnome 40 which is close to it I think too. Personally I like it. 
This surface makeover without much change in the background suits me well. I wouldn't have liked to wait 2 months for the development of new compatible drivers, or to have to change the device because it is no longer supported by the manufacturer.

Really for the moment, I am very favorably surprised :)

Gnome has always been sort of mac-like, but different (personally I think it's better, as there are design decisions with the way macOS works that just annoy me, and they are ones that have been around for a very long time from what I can tell (like finder)).  Windows 10 just has weird consistency issues.  I find it hilarious that they announced that the upcoming updates would finally fix and get rid of some of the duplication of things that Windows 10 has had since it was out... and then they announce that Windows 11 is a thing.  Thing is, the reason why they don't have to do the device drivers and such, is because this is still Windows 10, they're just updating UI elements.  Much like macOS 11 finally went beyond 10, so dropped macOS X and is now 11 (12?), Windows is just following for some reason...

I don't get the full bar at the bottom... I mean if you're going to squish where the icons are, make it like every other Dock out there.  Even KDE has scrunched the Dock up so it doesn't take the full bottom of the screen.  Also, when you are working on super ultra-wide monitors, it's literally just a giant waste of space.  At least gnome-shell has a very small bar at the top, and no sticky dock there.  Auto hiding the bar is possible, I hope, but even that usually irritates me because it takes a moment for it to come out from hiding and wants to shift things out of the way.  I much prefer how Gnome does it where it's hidden until using the hot corner or meta key.  Anyhow, I'm sure OpenShell will be updated to work with Windows 11 when it's released.

There is just no pleasing everyone, ever, period ? anyway, still it is quite customizable so don't like something then just change it. I like it overall but already activated and customized 11 in VMware. I don't use apps to alter of "fix" windows UI, instead I changed a registry entry to put the "old" 10 start menu back as well aligned the Taskbar icons back to the far left and enabled dark mode. That was just the first 15 minutes of playing around with it ?

1.thumb.PNG.7c56b5b89b9e78770a7fdc00fa54010f.PNG2.thumb.PNG.73ee6392cc78e70edfdfb13f28ca132f.PNG

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

There is just no pleasing everyone, ever, period ? anyway, still it is quite customizable so don't like something then just change it. I like it overall but already activated and customized 11 in VMware. I don't use apps to alter of "fix" windows UI, instead I changed a registry entry to put the "old" 10 start menu back as well aligned the Taskbar icons back to the far left and enabled dark mode. That was just the first 15 minutes of playing around with it ?

1.thumb.PNG.7c56b5b89b9e78770a7fdc00fa54010f.PNG2.thumb.PNG.73ee6392cc78e70edfdfb13f28ca132f.PNG

A registry entry is required for that? 

Ha, one of the reasons I probably hate Windows so much is that I have always been forced to use it.  Whether it was when the Atari ST no longer had support, or the Amiga.  And then even moving to Linux, certain things still need to have Windows if you want to use it.  If you were forced to drive a Ferrari, you probably wouldn't complain.  But if you were forced to drive a Pinto, you may be very unhappy about it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, leech said:

A registry entry is required for that? 

Ha, one of the reasons I probably hate Windows so much is that I have always been forced to use it.  Whether it was when the Atari ST no longer had support, or the Amiga.  And then even moving to Linux, certain things still need to have Windows if you want to use it.  If you were forced to drive a Ferrari, you probably wouldn't complain.  But if you were forced to drive a Pinto, you may be very unhappy about it.

Sure, it requires a registry tweak, I would not expect MS to include a setting to revert back to an older start menu anymore than I would expect them to include a simple toggle to go back to Window Millennium or Vista ?‍♂️ but at least it is doable, literally just a couple clicks on a prepared .reg file to either restore or remove the Windows 10 Start menu but at least it is an option. 

Well, despite having used Linux (endless distros over the years and several installed currently on some older laptops I have about), MacOS and various classic OS through my lifetime I just don't relate to your views, never really had problems or complaints with the OS and use Windows by choice as my main desktop and laptop OS with the rest just things to dabble and play with, I am not forced to use Windows these days but I choose to. About the only time I would have considered myself forced to user Windows was when I was into the AMIGA and Workbench OS and believe me I was quite happy in that environment and stuck with it far longer than I probably should have, even during the early Windows era, no Windows 3.1, no 95 or 98 or even Windows 98SE, reluctantly and pretty much screaming and kicking I finally moved over to Windows out of necessity for work, compatibility with friends / families and colleagues etc. Finally over were my years of trying to explain Amiga/Workbench to anyone and everyone who just didn't "get it", as a Canadian it was even more obscure a platform here than in the U.S. and just shifting my use of it to the realm of hobby and fun pastime while I would use Windows for all my "real" computing needs and work etc. As much as I missed AMIGA/WORKBENCH and you know, fun and personality I didn't complain or whine or bitch and moan I just adapted, learned, figured out how to make Windows more to my liking and get on with it. But hate it? Eh, I hate the fact that Commodore perhaps blew their marketing and handling of what they had and mismanaged everything. Windows is king of home OS, at least as market share would prove, its the OS I know inside and out and have learned to bend to my will and honestly, with all the tweaks and customizing I've basically upgraded it to Ferrari status so much so that even using the same version of Windows on any other computer but my own, even hardware several levels of power specifications beyond mine just seems painful, slow, sluggish and quite frankly unorganized. If that is the type of thing others feel when using whatever version of Windows then I guess I can see what they are crying about but for myself, I don't waste time crying, I just do something about it and figure it out I guess ? 

• Like 2

First real OS I used was the Applesoft BASIC and DOS 3.3 combo for the Apple II+. I had that from day one till the early 1990's and ProDos on the //e.

I had a brief parallel stint with the classic Amiga Workbench + KickStart 1.2 in the mid-late 80's, but never took a real liking to it.

Graduated into MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1 because that's what came with my new 486 at the time. Loved it! Made me feel like a real professional. Moved up with new hardware into 95/98, and eventually XP and some 7.

I hated (and continue to hate) 8.x and 10 in any incarnation. Couldn't take a liking to those for whatever reasons. They felt transitory. Harsh. 10 is ok under the hood. But its cosmetics never jibed with me.

So I have higher hopes that 11 will fit the bill.

7 hours ago, leech said:

Looks more like ChromeOS.  So there is that.

Gnome has always been sort of mac-like, but different (personally I think it's better, as there are design decisions with the way macOS works that just annoy me, and they are ones that have been around for a very long time from what I can tell (like finder)).  Windows 10 just has weird consistency issues.  I find it hilarious that they announced that the upcoming updates would finally fix and get rid of some of the duplication of things that Windows 10 has had since it was out... and then they announce that Windows 11 is a thing.  Thing is, the reason why they don't have to do the device drivers and such, is because this is still Windows 10, they're just updating UI elements.  Much like macOS 11 finally went beyond 10, so dropped macOS X and is now 11 (12?), Windows is just following for some reason...

I don't get the full bar at the bottom... I mean if you're going to squish where the icons are, make it like every other Dock out there.  Even KDE has scrunched the Dock up so it doesn't take the full bottom of the screen.  Also, when you are working on super ultra-wide monitors, it's literally just a giant waste of space.  At least gnome-shell has a very small bar at the top, and no sticky dock there.  Auto hiding the bar is possible, I hope, but even that usually irritates me because it takes a moment for it to come out from hiding and wants to shift things out of the way.  I much prefer how Gnome does it where it's hidden until using the hot corner or meta key.  Anyhow, I'm sure OpenShell will be updated to work with Windows 11 when it's released.

This is crazy! I was about to post this screenshot and I come across your message, huge coincidence. I let you judge by yourself :)

Bug with AMD adrenalin full package during installation

IMG_20210619_151113.thumb.jpg.30eecae2f72ed952be76c6c891118ceb.jpg

I completely agree with you, we lose a lot of space, which even becomes problematic with some applications in 1920x1080 at 150% for the characters (obliged to put them in full screen, or to automatically hide the taskbar for some applications).

As you can see on the picture, I also think that Microsoft would gain by making the Windows 11 taskbar transparent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Sure, it requires a registry tweak, I would not expect MS to include a setting to revert back to an older start menu anymore than I would expect them to include a simple toggle to go back to Window Millennium or Vista ?‍♂️ but at least it is doable, literally just a couple clicks on a prepared .reg file to either restore or remove the Windows 10 Start menu but at least it is an option. 

Well, despite having used Linux (endless distros over the years and several installed currently on some older laptops I have about), MacOS and various classic OS through my lifetime I just don't relate to your views, never really had problems or complaints with the OS and use Windows by choice as my main desktop and laptop OS with the rest just things to dabble and play with, I am not forced to use Windows these days but I choose to. About the only time I would have considered myself forced to user Windows was when I was into the AMIGA and Workbench OS and believe me I was quite happy in that environment and stuck with it far longer than I probably should have, even during the early Windows era, no Windows 3.1, no 95 or 98 or even Windows 98SE, reluctantly and pretty much screaming and kicking I finally moved over to Windows out of necessity for work, compatibility with friends / families and colleagues etc. Finally over were my years of trying to explain Amiga/Workbench to anyone and everyone who just didn't "get it", as a Canadian it was even more obscure a platform here than in the U.S. and just shifting my use of it to the realm of hobby and fun pastime while I would use Windows for all my "real" computing needs and work etc. As much as I missed AMIGA/WORKBENCH and you know, fun and personality I didn't complain or whine or bitch and moan I just adapted, learned, figured out how to make Windows more to my liking and get on with it. But hate it? Eh, I hate the fact that Commodore perhaps blew their marketing and handling of what they had and mismanaged everything. Windows is king of home OS, at least as market share would prove, its the OS I know inside and out and have learned to bend to my will and honestly, with all the tweaks and customizing I've basically upgraded it to Ferrari status so much so that even using the same version of Windows on any other computer but my own, even hardware several levels of power specifications beyond mine just seems painful, slow, sluggish and quite frankly unorganized. If that is the type of thing others feel when using whatever version of Windows then I guess I can see what they are crying about but for myself, I don't waste time crying, I just do something about it and figure it out I guess ? 

I am very interested in any improvements that could be made for performance gains on Windows 10&11.

We all share the same platform (except for some RAMs and M.2 cards) but major in commun

It would be interesting to see what specific changes to the VCS platform can be done to have an "optimized VCS hardware" Windows System.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Ha, so otherwise you also hate Windiws 10 as is and have to tweak a bunch of things.  I use the Windows debloater, but don't feel like I should on my work computer as it would probably annoy IT. 

I legit wish ReactOS would become a stable setup, I would use that for older software for sure.  For now most things just work with Wine/Proton.

Still love Workbench, especially since they are finally releasing new versions.  (Hopefully my 3.2 purchase shows up soon.)

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, so otherwise you also hate Windiws 10 as is and have to tweak a bunch of things.  I use the Windows debloater, but don't feel like I should on my work computer as it would probably annoy IT. 

I legit wish ReactOS would become a stable setup, I would use that for older software for sure.  For now most things just work with Wine/Proton.

Still love Workbench, especially since they are finally releasing new versions.  (Hopefully my 3.2 purchase shows up soon.)

Well, no matter how I explain it you are clearly going to continue to project your own feeling so ?‍♂️? Interpret it in whatever manner that you feel good about. Currently, I am altering some things in the Windows 11 installation media so it no longer reports the hardware is not compatible, so I can install and test it on an old Sony Vaio Laptop, you know, because I hate it so much.  ?

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Well, no matter how I explain it you are clearly going to continue to project your own feeling so ?‍♂️? Interpret it in whatever manner that you feel good about. Currently, I am altering some things in the Windows 11 installation media so it no longer reports the hardware is not compatible, so I can install and test it on an old Sony Vaio Laptop, you know, because I hate it so much.  ?

I am not saying you hate it.  I am saying I do.  We don't all have to like the same things.  All I was saying is that you still hack around in Windows to make it workable, and I am saying that while I am capabale of doing such a thing, I do not spend enough time in Windows (outside of work where I can't muck too much as I need it to be stable) to give enough of a care.

My personal Windows use consists usually of either Steam (for specific games that seem problematic under Proton/Wine) or I will occasionally play around with some RPG tools, though for the most part they also work in Wine (sometimes better than Windows). 

But hey, everyone is free to like what they like and hate what they hate.  I was just sharing why it annoys me, and it seems you agree with me, but have work arounds to make you happy.  And that is awesome.

people think I am nuts when I tell them that Linux has become boring because it just works now.  I say this because I like tweaking under the hood and learning how things work.  Problem I have with Windows is it is much harder to do that because I can't muck around in source code.

• Like 1