Jack Burton 1

Arcade 1Up Pong Review

This probably doesn't belong in the Amico forum but since the conversation started there I'm not sure those interested would see this review if I didn't put it in the Amico forum.

I assembled the unit and played it a bit yesterday. I really love the gameplay, but I'm a modestly underwhelmed by the a couple of structural things. 

Putting it together was a bit time consuming, but not complicated since the instructions were good. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver and something to cut the cardboard boxes open and the plastic protective sheeting.

If you've seen YouTube reviews you'll notice people universally hate the little rubber protective ring that I believe is intended to protect from liquid getting in to the screen. I have no construction or building experience and I am not a DIY'er so I have no patience for stuff like this. I ended up simply throwing out the little rubber lining. Just too irritating to get it set right.

Also, like other reviews say, there's no protective covering on the top. I could put lexan on it, but I won't since I hate DIY stuff. 

The worst part of building it was that a couple of the factory drilled holes on the top "table" portion of my particular unit were not drilled in just the right spot. This meant when you lined up the holes to connect the two table pieces with the little wooden holder pieces, the table did not form a perfect circle. It was offset by a few centimeters and obvious to the naked eye. It didn't look right and was significant enough of an offset that the screen did not fit into the table. So I had to disassemble some pieces, take out the wooden supporters, and manually realign the table pieces (this was really easy, you simply just eyeball it and put them together so the circle is flush). The wooden supporters aren't necessary. However this meant that not all of the screw holes in the table were aligned properly. There are 8 screw holes and 3 of the 8 were not aligned once I made the table circle flush. Ultimately this didn't matter as the 5 screws held the table top together just fine. I could have just drilled new holes to make all the screws fit properly, but I just didn't want to. 

The gameplay however, was great. I did not try Circus Atari, but I tried all of the other games, including many variations of Pong Sports (there's about 50 games within Pong Sports alone).

You can change settings for all of the games and the default option for all of the games is for the spinner sensitivity to be at 7/10. I never played a spinner in an arcade, but I have used the 2600 paddles and those are very sensitive, so I switched the sensitivity on all of the games to 10/10. I thought the spinners were excellent. They're incredibly smooth and work exactly as I would want them to. They're physically smooth feeling when turning and paddles on the screen move smoothly as well. There's no glitching or fluttering on the screen. In contrast, I played the new Atari VCS with the classic controllers for paddle games and though the physical paddle function is smooth on those, the paddles on the screen flutter when still, as though they're between "values" and the computer can't quite decide. This was not an issue at all for this particular device. 

I never played Tempest before, but I know people love that game so I gave it a shot and it's really fun. I saw in another review that there was some lag in spinner response for Tempest, but it played great for me. Keep in mind, I have never played Tempest before so maybe there was some lag as that game is so fast paced. I just couldn't tell. I have played Warlords before and it performed exactly as I would want it to on this device. I noticed no lag as all. Very responsive. 

I was also surprised with the sound quality. The volume can get quite loud and is really a cool experience with Tempest. The other games' sound isn't that big of a deal. 

I got this for the 4 player action. I love Warlords and the million variations of Pong Sports. So to me it's all about the gameplay and I'm very happy with it. However, if you really care about the cabinet looking top notch you might be bothered by the lack of a protective cover. I am going to assume my problems with the screw holes not aligning are a one off, but you never know. Maybe dozens or hundreds were misaligned. Regardless, even with 3 or the 8 screws not fitting the cabinet seems very sturdy. 

I'm happy with my purchase since I love simple 4 player co-op games like Pong Sports and Warlords. But for the price I would expect everything to be lined up properly and for there to be a protective covering. If the spinners sucked or if it was only a 2 player system, there's no way I would pay the price for this, but because the spinners are so smooth and I can get 4 player action with lots of game variations, it makes the purchase worth it for me. 

Please feel free to shoot me more questions. I'd like to help any way I can.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

This probably doesn't belong in the Amico forum but since the conversation started there I'm not sure those interested would see this review if I didn't put it in the Amico forum.

I assembled the unit and played it a bit yesterday. I really love the gameplay, but I'm a modestly underwhelmed by the a couple of structural things. 

Putting it together was a bit time consuming, but not complicated since the instructions were good. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver and something to cut the cardboard boxes open and the plastic protective sheeting.

If you've seen YouTube reviews you'll notice people universally hate the little rubber protective ring that I believe is intended to protect from liquid getting in to the screen. I have no construction or building experience and I am not a DIY'er so I have no patience for stuff like this. I ended up simply throwing out the little rubber lining. Just too irritating to get it set right.

Also, like other reviews say, there's no protective covering on the top. I could put lexan on it, but I won't since I hate DIY stuff. 

The worst part of building it was that a couple of the factory drilled holes on the top "table" portion of my particular unit were not drilled in just the right spot. This meant when you lined up the holes to connect the two table pieces with the little wooden holder pieces, the table did not form a perfect circle. It was offset by a few centimeters and obvious to the naked eye. It didn't look right and was significant enough of an offset that the screen did not fit into the table. So I had to disassemble some pieces, take out the wooden supporters, and manually realign the table pieces (this was really easy, you simply just eyeball it and put them together so the circle is flush). The wooden supporters aren't necessary. However this meant that not all of the screw holes in the table were aligned properly. There are 8 screw holes and 3 of the 8 were not aligned once I made the table circle flush. Ultimately this didn't matter as the 5 screws held the table top together just fine. I could have just drilled new holes to make all the screws fit properly, but I just didn't want to. 

The gameplay however, was great. I did not try Circus Atari, but I tried all of the other games, including many variations of Pong Sports (there's about 50 games within Pong Sports alone).

You can change settings for all of the games and the default option for all of the games is for the spinner sensitivity to be at 7/10. I never played a spinner in an arcade, but I have used the 2600 paddles and those are very sensitive, so I switched the sensitivity on all of the games to 10/10. I thought the spinners were excellent. They're incredibly smooth and work exactly as I would want them to. They're physically smooth feeling when turning and paddles on the screen move smoothly as well. There's no glitching or fluttering on the screen. In contrast, I played the new Atari VCS with the classic controllers for paddle games and though the physical paddle function is smooth on those, the paddles on the screen flutter when still, as though they're between "values" and the computer can't quite decide. This was not an issue at all for this particular device. 

I never played Tempest before, but I know people love that game so I gave it a shot and it's really fun. I saw in another review that there was some lag in spinner response for Tempest, but it played great for me. Keep in mind, I have never played Tempest before so maybe there was some lag as that game is so fast paced. I just couldn't tell. I have played Warlords before and it performed exactly as I would want it to on this device. I noticed no lag as all. Very responsive. 

I was also surprised with the sound quality. The volume can get quite loud and is really a cool experience with Tempest. The other games' sound isn't that big of a deal. 

I got this for the 4 player action. I love Warlords and the million variations of Pong Sports. So to me it's all about the gameplay and I'm very happy with it. However, if you really care about the cabinet looking top notch you might be bothered by the lack of a protective cover. I am going to assume my problems with the screw holes not aligning are a one off, but you never know. Maybe dozens or hundreds were misaligned. Regardless, even with 3 or the 8 screws not fitting the cabinet seems very sturdy. 

I'm happy with my purchase since I love simple 4 player co-op games like Pong Sports and Warlords. But for the price I would expect everything to be lined up properly and for there to be a protective covering. If the spinners sucked or if it was only a 2 player system, there's no way I would pay the price for this, but because the spinners are so smooth and I can get 4 player action with lots of game variations, it makes the purchase worth it for me. 

I really appreciate the review. It’s 800$ in Canada and no returns so a few reviews I can trust are important. I know it won’t be perfect but it looks great for some simple 4 player fun. It’s ansi way cheaper that the Atari coffee table at around 4000$ lol . I’m deciding between this and the AT arcade legends pinball or maybe both at some point . This just seems simple and easy for anyone to play and I’m disappointed with the no plexiglass but I just won’t put  drinks or food on it. I might have some questions In The next days . The spinners  sound like they are above average for sure . Too bad I can’t try it before I buy. Thx for the mini review ! By the way, I’m not a DIY guy either so I take things as they come. Mod this and mod that is cool I’m sure but not for me .  No skills there ! Lol

2 more questions …..it does save high scores permanently right ? Also I was not planning on getting 4 stools /chairs (not even sure what type would work best for this height level)  but maybe one for when I’m playing alone. It standing a comfortable way to play ? 

Edited by Cranker

I also have a Legends Gamer Pro. I like it, but it's two players so to me could never be as fun as a 4 player system. But the Legends is a fun device and the pinball buttons are unique.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

I also have a Legends Gamer Pro. I like it, but it's two players so to me could never be as fun as a 4 player system. But the Legends is a fun device and the pinball buttons are unique.

I was looking at the legends pinball one. There are other tables i would want like Bally ones but I have no clue how to import other tables etc …I also was looking at the controller , arcade units etc …the issue is there are usually other tweaks I might like but I suck at DIY so I will have to be happy with what I get. The pong table has what I want so that’s good. Also I was asking if standing is ok for 4 players. 

Edited by Cranker

I was looking at the legends pinball one. There are other tables i would want like Bally ones but I have no clue how to import other tables etc …I also was looking at the controller , arcade units etc …the issue is there are usually other tweaks I might like but I suck at DIY so I will have to be happy with what I get. The pong table has what I want so that’s good. Also I was asking if standing is ok for 4 players. 
I'm sorry, I forgot to answer your questions. Yes, there's an option to either save high scores or reset them. And I think standing is just fine and probably adds to the excitement, but of course some people will prefer to sit. The height of the cabinet is just right for me. I'm 5'10"

Also, the Legends gamer pro has pinball buttons on the side, so that's an option for you without taking up a ton of space.

30 minutes ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

Also, the Legends gamer pro has pinball buttons on the side, so that's an option for you without taking up a ton of space.

Good to know. I’m 5”7 so hope it’s a good height . Do you have chairs for it ? I’m wondering if a refiner arcade stool would work.

I don't have chairs. Although i think chairs might work since it's not too tall. I suspect the height of the unit is a sweet spot allowing standing or chairs.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

I don't have chairs. Although i think chairs might work since it's not too tall. I suspect the height of the unit is a sweet spot allowing standing or chairs.

Nice ! How many 4 player games are there ? Some of the pong ones are 4 player I think? I have always wanted to play Warlords with spinners ! I sometimes wonder if pong and the original breakout with hold  my attention and still be fun. I am 54 so these games are among the First video games I ever played and are special to me do I think yes. Too bad they did not out the arcade version of circus Atari on here. This just looks cool !

since arcade machines look really out of place in my room, I was hoping to find a good feasibly priced cocktail table . Any ideas ? It must have a 4-way joystick since I like pacman , donkey Kong and many others that require a 4-way. I have an arcade machine with the 2 8-way -!: Tunis good for many games like to Robotron I still want a 4-way. You can’t ideally have both unfortunately !

Edited by Cranker

10 hours ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

Thanks for posting... nothing wrong with changing up topics to other areas we all love... ARCADES!!

what size screen is it?  17" or 19" ?

How much room does it need to properly sit in an arcade room without caddy cornering or having to pull it out and push it back?

How thick is the actual table?  1/2", 5/8" or 3/4"? 

9 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Thanks for posting... nothing wrong with changing up topics to other areas we all love... ARCADES!!

How much room does it need to properly sit in an arcade room without caddy cornering or having to pull it out and push it back?

Great questions since I have a relatively small room and have to be choosy. I read that  the side with the power adapter is awkward with a short cord and the power box hanging , meaning not reaching the floor. Is this an issue ?

Nice ! How many 4 player games are there ? Some of the pong ones are 4 player I think? I have always wanted to play Warlords with spinners ! I sometimes wonder if pong and the original breakout with hold  my attention and still be fun. I am 54 so these games are among the First video games I ever played and are special to me do I think yes. Too bad they did not out the arcade version of circus Atari on here. This just looks cool !

since arcade machines look really out of place in my room, I was hoping to find a good feasibly priced cocktail table . Any ideas ? It must have a 4-way joystick since I like pacman , donkey Kong and many others that require a 4-way. I have an arcade machine with the 2 8-way -!: Tunis good for many games like to Robotron I still want a 4-way. You can’t ideally have both unfortunately !
I'm out of town at the moment so I can't say for sure, but there are many 4 player games. Warlords is 4 player and so is Pong Sports and Pong Doubles, but Pong Sports has about 50 games within itself and I'd say there are around 10 variations within Pong Sports that are 4 players. So there's no shortage. You can find out the exact amount of Pong Sports 4 player games by Googling the Pong Sports (Video Olympics) manual for the 2600. It's the same game.

The original Breakout is a lot of fun. It's two player, but not rotating turns. Not simultaneous.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for a 4 player joystick arcade.

I'm sorry I'm not around the cabinet to be able to answer any of these questions.

Great questions since I have a relatively small room and have to be choosy. I read that  the side with the power adapter is awkward with a short cord and the power box hanging , meaning not reaching the floor. Is this an issue ?
The cord is not particularly short and the power box does not hang. It sits on the floor. I'm kind of confused as to why someone would say this. The power cord comes in two parts. One part runs from the top of the cabinet and down to the floor and out a hole in the bottom of the cabinet. Then you connect the second part, which includes the power box, to the part of cord that comes out of the bottom of the cabinet. So the part of the power cord with the power box is almost exclusively on the floor. If I was home I could take a picture, but I can't until at least Wednesday.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cranker said:

From the website...

What games are included? Eight Atari classics that ushered in the video game era: Pong®, Quadra Pong, Pong Doubles®, Warlords®, Pong® Sports, Circus Atari®, Tempest®, and Super Breakout®.

The basics of the game choices of these cabinets is licensing.  You won't see Donkey Kong on a Pac-Man table.   They are by two separate companies.   So it will be like a Namco, or Midway or Capcom only unit.

https://arcade1up.com/products/pong-4-player-pub-table

Edited by IMBerzerk

I'm out of town at the moment so I can't say for sure, but there are many 4 player games. Warlords is 4 player and so is Pong Sports and Pong Doubles, but Pong Sports has about 50 games within itself and I'd say there are around 10 variations within Pong Sports that are 4 players. So there's no shortage. You can find out the exact amount of Pong Sports 4 player games by Googling the Pong Sports (Video Olympics) manual for the 2600. It's the same game.

The original Breakout is a lot of fun. It's two player, but not rotating turns. Not simultaneous.

I'm sorry. I mis wrote. It IS rotating turns. Not simultaneous for Breakout.

2 minutes ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

Figured that . Thx for taking the time to answer me. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Burton 1 said:

bummer... that would have been really cool...

bummer... that would have been really cool...
Yes, I would have liked that. But there's no original games on this. If no one knows of a four player or even two player simultaneous version of Super Breakout, then it's not on here. This is all emulsion of existing games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cranker said:

Figured that . Thx for taking the time to answer me. 

Cranker.. I don't think I mentioned this, and sorry if you are already familar with it.. but this IS what you get with these units... they are minis...the Pong unit was the first I've seen in a "full size" unit.  I'm still mulling over buying one as well...

pacman-lifestyle_2048x.png?v=1582574323

• Like 1

Yes, I would have liked that. But there's no original games on this. If no one knows of a four player or even two player simultaneous version of Super Breakout, then it's not on here. This is all emulsion of existing games.

Emulation

Just now, Jack Burton 1 said:

It's ok.  It's still a really nice looking cabinet.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Cranker.. I don't think I mentioned this, and sorry if you are already familar with it.. but this IS what you get with these units... they are minis...the Pong unit was the first I've seen in a "full size" unit.  I'm still mulling over buying one as well...

pacman-lifestyle_2048x.png?v=1582574323

I’ll check the measurements of these . I hope the pong unit is not too large for my room. I really like it . Even if they are minis, I think the pub table and a cocktail table might look best because of the height. For some reason , My arcade machine looks so big because it’s tall . I’m hoping  to find a good cocktail table. Who knows , maybe the minis will fit better . Too many choices and not enough room or money ! Lol 

Edited by Cranker