IGNORED

Don't Piss Off the Parts Seller Keeping Atari Machines Alive

bfollowell

3 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

However, while there are certainly many, many valid reasons to vent over all of this, Brad's not going to change unless he wants to.  By no means am I defending how he chooses to do business, but we all know that no matter how much his byzantine practices, requirements, and moods may be a source of frustration for people trying to buy from him, he's just not going to change.

Venting's a form of catharsis, and a valuable one at that.  That is very much understood.  But sometimes the easiest way to avoid aggravation in the first place is to work with it rather than being at odds with it.  By no means am I suggesting that doing so makes it magically go away or cease to be less annoying, but none of the venting we've seen over the years has done anything to change the situation.

I agree with that. And that's actually kind of the point. You're absolutely right, venting doesn't change anything, but it helps people feel less frustrated, especially those who really needed/wanted something they were banned from having through no fault of their own due to Brad's nonsensical soup nazi stuff. These threads do keep popping up because, like you said, nothing is going to change. I'd vent too if I found a part or item I desperately needed only to be deprived of it because I paid to quickly.

I've got no problem with folks who deal with Brad and are willing to put up with his completely mood driven rules. Some of the best hardware folks on here are forced to. I also have to friends who do repairs that are forced to as well. Situation is what it is, and Brad is not, despite my criticism of his business practices, a bad guy.

My main and only objection in these threads are the responses that portray it all as 'normal', 'just business', and 'I don't see why people can't just follow his rules'. It isn't normal, it isn't fair, and it isn't gonna change. So I try and be supportive of frustrated Atari fans here. Usually, their frustration is absolutely warranted.

• Like 3

My last post on this thread...

Brad is Brad.  If you don't like it, move on, but don't start trying to convince others to boycott him

because you or others that you know have had a bad experience.  As I've said before, he and I have

had words (sometime slightly heated) over the years, but we have always reached and understanding.

And I have always gotten what I ask for unless it's now out of stock!  Be polite and civil (and yes, it

doesn't hurt to butter him up a little).  Everyone likes to know that they are appreciated.  If that is 

ass-kissing then yes, I am guilty.  But I would much rather deal with someone who asks how my day

is going, then someone who complains about prices or order size!

By the way, EBay is ending its' agreements with Paypal because of rate increases.  I know because

they had stopped using Paypal to pay venders, and now Ebay wants my bank account number and the

routing code so they can direct deposit the money (or remove money) from my bank account!  Like that

is going to happen...

DavidMil    

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Lord Thag said:

My main and only objection in these threads are the responses that portray it all as 'normal', 'just business', and 'I don't see why people can't just follow his rules'. It isn't normal, it isn't fair, and it isn't gonna change.

Absolutely. That is unquestionable.

And, to that extent, other options / alternatives have been already mentioned as alternate avenues to alleviate frustration. 

It is not just about heating up an unattended pressure-cooker in the kitchen, as some have also (and wrongfully) suggested.

??

44 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Absolutely. That is unquestionable.

And, to that extent, other options / alternatives have been already mentioned as alternate avenues to alleviate frustration. 

It is not just about heating up an unattended pressure-cooker in the kitchen, as some have also (and wrongfully) suggested.

??

I think setting up an “alternative to BE” thread would be valuable, because having options is always good. If you’ve found another source for all this stuff then that would be good info for the community. Surely better than keeping this thread going by calling people dysfunctional.

32 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Surely better than keeping this thread going by calling people dysfunctional.

That has not happened, of course.

No need for opening a new thread, that would eventually be used as a conduit for rehashing the same (dysfunctional) "boycott" argument.

Now you know in what context "dysfunctional" is being used, or refers to. 

Moving on, now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

I think setting up an “alternative to BE” thread would be valuable, because having options is always good. If you’ve found another source for all this stuff then that would be good info for the community. Surely better than keeping this thread going by calling people dysfunctional.

This is actually a great idea. Maybe break it up by alternatives, types of parts etc. It's more than just Best vs. B&C or whatever. There are lots of modern alternatives to classic hardware now (Lotharek, Brewing Academy etc) as well as tons of software projects, indie hardware, etc. A lot of this you kind of just have to 'be in the know' without a bunch of forum digging, so it might be helpful to newbies.

Could be a nice sticky thread actually if it were handled right. A single thread resource kept updated on where you can get things. Honestly, I've been on here for decades and I forget some resources exist. It would be useful as more than a 'alternatives to Brad' thing, so rather than 'an alternative to BE' it should be 'Modern Atari computer hardware resources' perhaps.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

I agree with the thread in theory, but why would it need to be an alternative to BE thread?

Why not just make it a where to buy Atari items thread and leave it at that? Best and B&C would be listed there be because it wouldn't be right to leave them out, but we'd also see any number of semi-permanent ebay sellers, Marlin at Brewing Academy, etc. We could list the different buyers and what they typically sell. This could be a very useful tool for our users, especially newer users.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I agree with the thread in theory, but why would it need to be an alternative to BE thread?

Why not just make it a where to buy Atari items thread and leave it at that? Best and B&C would be listed there be because it wouldn't be right to leave them out, but we'd also see any number of semi-permanent ebay sellers, Marlin at Brewing Academy, etc. We could list the different buyers and what they typically sell. This could be a very useful tool for our users, especially newer users.

I just said the same thing in the post above yours, I completely agree. It just needs to be a sticky'd 'modern hardware and parts resources for Atari computers' thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Thag said:

I just said the same thing in the post above yours, I completely agree. It just needs to be a sticky'd 'modern hardware and parts resources for Atari computers' thread.

Yeah, we were probably typing at the same time. You just finished a bit and submitted before me. Great minds think alike.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

If someone can point me to a NEW POKEY chip for $20 then let me know and I'll stop using Best, until then...

I can't vouch for price, but I'd say to start by emailing Marlin at The Brewing Academy and asking him if he'd be willing to sell you one and for how much. On the other hand, if you know you can get one from Brad, and you're OK dealing with him, then why change? Buy it from him.

He doesn't have to post rules, it's his business.

Sometimes people leave messages on my phone literally telling me to come out right away to rectify their tech issues. I'm not a same day callout service, I've never been a same day callout service and I don't like their tone - So I don't call them back.

I don't absolutely need the money and I'm allowed to make that decision as it's my business, based on previous experience often such people just aren't worth the hassle. Be thankful this ageing character is selling off his stock that he bought with his own money at all.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 4

Yes it is his business and he can do what he likes, yes he's getting on so big changes are very unlikely, it's a shame he won't budge on certain stuff that would give him a better revenue, but I believe the term is "invitation to treat", ie he can offer goods but does not have to sell them which is fair game if you ask me, It's not very popular, but it's his choice. When I was in retail I would have complete arses come in with a stinkingly bad attitude and then demand sales to which they were told to leave, was that wrong...Not in my book..

The choice is there, vote with your feet...

Arguing about him bringing his business and sometime attitude in to this decade won't make it happen... Some have very good service, some not, just vote with your feet..

• Like 3

The individual in question sounds old enough that selling Atari gear is quite simply just a hobby business. Yell loud enough, which is what this article is doing, and he could pack up his toys and you all get nothing.

Is that a better alternative?

As someone that's worked retail for far too long, I don't abide by the saying "the customer is always right". If the customer is demanding with an outward sense of entitlement, they're just too time consuming - That's time better spent on the next customer that doesn't believe they're the center of the universe and actually just wants to buy gear as simply as possible.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

As someone that's worked retail for far too long, I don't abide by the saying "the customer is always right". If the customer is demanding with an outward sense of entitlement, they're just too time consuming - That's time better spent on the next customer that doesn't believe they're the center of the universe and actually just wants to buy gear as simply as possible.

And I suppose if the customer (first time buyer) places an order, gets an invoice, pays for it promptly, then gets refunded with no explanation and the seller refuses to respond to further emails to find out why then the seller isn't a gigantic dick, just a grumpy old man 'helping' the community?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I can't vouch for price, but I'd say to start by emailing Marlin at The Brewing Academy and asking him if he'd be willing to sell you one and for how much. On the other hand, if you know you can get one from Brad, and you're OK dealing with him, then why change? Buy it from him.

That wasn't my point. I have no problem buying from Brad. But all the rhetoric of you don't need Best, buy elsewhere is disingenuous at best. If I don't want to overpay, or pull parts from an existing machine then Best is my only option for multiple items. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

entitlement

This is basically my takeaway from this thread.

I've been collecting old micros for only two years, but while I was lucky to avoid it myself, I've already seen a fair amount of real drama and shadiness in the repair/seller/punter circle. Accusations of cannibalizing old gear in the CPC scene, thieving fixers in the ZX scene, lawsuits flying back and forth + big shops ripping off punters in the Amiga one, failed Kickstarters everywhere... I don't know a single seller/shop/fixer who wouldn't have at least some bad opinions, if rightly or wrongly I don't know, but they are there. In fact, I've recently decided to not buy any old micros anymore, because two of the main repair guys in my range whom I relied on decided to quit (thanks to punter drama), and when I enquired about alternatives I was told to learn how to do it myself by my "friendly" local forum, because I clearly didn't suck up enough to the hoarder clique there. Kthxbai, then. I'll enjoy my gear till it lasts, and then it's FPGA-time.

Compared to some of these operators, this Brad dude, whose only crime seems to be that he's got his own way of doing things and refuses to deal with some people (have yet to hear how he actually ripped somebody off or was truly rude to them) seems quite a pleasant alternative. And calling a guy who has actually saved a fuckton of old gear, instead of letting it go the ET way, a "gigantic dick" perhaps proves why he's actually correct about not giving a toss.

When I decided to take the plunge into the real hardware world I knew from the start that it's an extremely niche, weird hobby, where nothing is given or guaranteed. Most people who provide some services connected to it aren't doing it for huge profits, but because they love it too, and being of older age are allowed some quirks. So unless somebody is a downright scammer, or a directly-rude git, I'd give them a pass and reserve the rage for those who really deserve it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, youxia said:

This is basically my takeaway from this thread.

Is "entitlement" what applies to anyone calling the business owner an "idiot" (?)....

Or are we just dealing with the typical, rampant double-moral standards that dominate the majority of these discussions?

DBM: DouBle Moral... it's just two words, not three.

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

the seller isn't a gigantic dick, just a grumpy old man 'helping' the community?

Well, that is the crux-of-the-matter.

As stated already, it is perfectly Ok. to vent... and be aware of other alternatives for handling these needs.

That is the key, take-away of the whole thread.