IGNORED

30 years of Sonic

So as I'm sure everyone here knows, Sonic was released on the 23rd of June, 1991, so Sonic will be turning 30 in only a few days. Yeah, there is a Genesis/MD section, but I'll go ahead and post this here since I imagine more people will see it but also because even in the 90s Sonic was also in arcades (where he made his debut in Rad Mobile before Sonic 1 was even released), on PC, on the Game Gear, on the Master System (but not the Mark III), on the game.com (we don't talk about that one), on the Saturn and the Dreamcast, had Tiger handhelds, at McDonald's, in the Macy's parade, had 2 separate TV shows running at the same time, had multiple different comic series in multiple countries at the same time, was in a popcorn machine, in your SpaghettiO knock-offs and Kraft macaroni and cheese, and was even on the Neo Geo! Pocket Color, anyway.

I'm not that much older than Sonic, but I remember when he was EVERYWHERE in the USA to the point where it was impossible to avoid him. Unlike a certain fat red dude made by that one other company, Sonic honestly hasn't done too well since the early 2000s, but the times before then were great and I feel bad for the younger people who missed all of that.

I'll be celebrating Sonic's 30th anniversary in my own way here in a few days with a Sonic game that I've never played before on a system that I've never played before (you'll see when I get it), but hopefully everyone else will take the time to remember how great the 90s were for Sonic.

• Like 5

Just bought Sonic CD for mega cd. Not the best sonic game, but one missing from my collection. Great series, ruined by having no saturn version and the mess that came after it. Jam was cool though, they should have padded it out a bit more with some new content and it probably would have been just as good as the 3D game we never got. 

• Like 2

Today is Sonic's anniversary unless you count Rad Mobile. Just got done with Sonic 1 and 2 and now it's on to CD. I was going to only use original hardware, but my Mega-CD is acting stupid, so I have to use the MegaSD for this one. Then it's on to Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic 3D Blast, and then after that will be my first time playing Sonic R.

I bought Sonic Pocket Adventure the other day, but I couldn't find a Neo Geo Pocket Color that I liked, so I'll have to save that one for a bit later. Never played that game or system, so I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Sonic Pocket Adventure is one of the ones I liked most of his 2D games.

I've heard it's excellent. It's too bad it's never been rereleased and the ebay prices for it are insane.

Anyway, done with CD, 3, and Sonic & Knuckles now. I'm going to take a break to get some food and then move on to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Well, I finished 3&K and skipped 3D Blast to play Sonic R for the first time. What an incredibly great and terrible game.

HAHAHA!  That is a humorous yet apt description!  Overall I enjoy replaying Sonic R every year or so.  My biggest problem with the game is the small amount of courses.  Once I became familiar with the layouts and coin locations, I can beat the game quickly unlocking all the bonus characters.  Then what is there to do?   They should have added some random modes.  But I still enjoy the music and the feel of hoofing it around the race course. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

HAHAHA!  That is a humorous yet apt description!  Overall I enjoy replaying Sonic R every year or so.  My biggest problem with the game is the small amount of courses.  Once I became familiar with the layouts and coin locations, I can beat the game quickly unlocking all the bonus characters.  Then what is there to do?   They should have added some random modes.  But I still enjoy the music and the feel of hoofing it around the race course. 

Yeah, Sonic R is both excellent and pure garbage and I love it. I think.

Done with Mania now. I recorded the whole thing, so maybe I'll post it in case anyone wants to see me play Sonic Mania super terribly. On to Generations now, as that was Sonic's 20th anniversary game. So much for playing 3D Blast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cafeman said:

Have you ever played Sonic 3D  Blast?  The Saturn version is cool to try out a few levels, because of the music, effects, and the Sonic Team 3D halfpipe bonus rounds. 

Yes, I've played the Genesis version like 6 million times. Never played the Saturn version, as I never had a Saturn until last April (I think) and the Saturn version is relatively rare.

• Like 1

You are flying through those games. I had 1, 2, and CD as a kid so I can beat those pretty quickly, especially the first one. I have only recently played through 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, like within the last year or two, and I have never played through Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

You are making me want to pull Phantasy Star II out of my Genesis and play some Sonic.  Quick question though; what does locking on Sonic 3 into Sonic and Knuckles change? When they are locked on you play through the six Sonic 3 zones and then straight into Sonic and Knuckles right? I believe there is one level only available when the games are played together, but I could be wrong on that. And obviously you can play as Knuckles in Sonic 3.

• Like 1

So my controller stopped working on Sonic Generations mid-game for some reason. According to my time calculations for the weekly time tracker, I just spent 583 minutes playing Sonic today with only like a 20 minute break, so I think I'm going to stop here for today, as I'm kind of tired after doing literally nothing but playing Sonic for just under 10 hours straight. I'll finish Generations and get to 3D Blast later.

6 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

You are flying through those games. I had 1, 2, and CD as a kid so I can beat those pretty quickly, especially the first one. I have only recently played through 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, like within the last year or two, and I have never played through Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

You are making me want to pull Phantasy Star II out of my Genesis and play some Sonic.  Quick question though; what does locking on Sonic 3 into Sonic and Knuckles change? When they are locked on you play through the six Sonic 3 zones and then straight into Sonic and Knuckles right? I believe there is one level only available when the games are played together, but I could be wrong on that. And obviously you can play as Knuckles in Sonic 3.

Yeah, that's what 26 years of mostly non-stop practice will do for you. Once you know how the physics work, Sonic becomes an unbelievably fun playground.

So basically Sonic 3 & Knuckles gives you a few things; the most important thing is that it lets you play both games as one game, the way the developers intended for it to be before they ran out of time and had to split it in half because of McDonald's (yes, seriously, a McDonald's promotion in the USA is apparently why Sonic & Knuckles exists). It also lets you get all 7 Chaos Emeralds + 7 Super Emeralds and get Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles, and Super Tails (who is super broken, by the way). It also changes some of the level layouts in Sonic 3 to make them easier (Hydrocity Act 2's spring is the famous example) and fixes a few glitches in Sonic 3, like the insta-shield glitch, the Hydrocity Act 2 boss glitches, and some other stuff. Without Sonic 3 & Knuckles, you can't use Tails in Sonic & Knuckles and you can't use Knux in Sonic 3. It also changes some of the music, notably the Knuckles theme, the invulnerability/Super/Hyper music, the credits music, and the miniboss music.

There is still a reason to play Sonic 3, though; I like the Sonic 3 music and more difficult levels more than the changed Sonic 3 & Knuckles versions. There is basically very little to no reason to play Sonic & Knuckles by itself unless you want to see the unique little intro thing that Knux gets or you just want to skip the first half of the game for some reason. I wish they'd put that intro into Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but they didn't. Don't forget that you can also plug your Sonic 2 into Sonic and Knuckles to be Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. This very slightly changes some of Sonic 2's level layouts slightly to account for Knux's abilities, but it also lets you keep all of your rings after entering a Special Stage, making the game a little easier.

So the 7 Chaos Emeralds gets you Super Sonic or Knuckles and then getting the 7 Super Emeralds gets you Hyper Sonic or Knuckles? Does it take all 14 to get Super Tails? One thing about Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles that I do not like are the ring special stages. I struggle mightily with these. I think I have only finished it once. And I hate how they are hidden.

I know a lot of people hate the original Sonic the Hedgehog special stages, but they are my favorite. I played them so much as a kid that I have no trouble with them. I have actually been wanting to play through Sonic 2 as Sonic alone just so I can get Super Sonic. I have not got all the Chaos Emeralds since I was a kid and now I always play with Tails and I cannot get all the Chaos Emeralds with him tagging along.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

So the 7 Chaos Emeralds gets you Super Sonic or Knuckles and then getting the 7 Super Emeralds gets you Hyper Sonic or Knuckles? Does it take all 14 to get Super Tails? One thing about Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles that I do not like are the ring special stages. I struggle mightily with these. I think I have only finished it once. And I hate how they are hidden.

I know a lot of people hate the original Sonic the Hedgehog special stages, but they are my favorite. I played them so much as a kid that I have no trouble with them. I have actually been wanting to play through Sonic 2 as Sonic alone just so I can get Super Sonic. I have not got all the Chaos Emeralds since I was a kid and now I always play with Tails and I cannot get all the Chaos Emeralds with him tagging along.

Yes, you'll need all 14 of them for Super Tails. This makes playing as Tails way more difficult than Sonic or Knuckles, as Sonic can be Super starting in Hydrocity Act 2 and Knuckles can do it in Marble Garden Act 1, but Tails has to wait until Mushroom Hill Act 2.

• Like 1

Well I beat the original Sonic the Hedgehog today for the anniversary.  It was touch and go there fore a while.  Not to beat it, that is easy, but to get all the Chaos Emeralds.  I got ejected from the special stages without the Chaos Emeralds on Green Hill Zone act 2 and Marble Zone act 2.  I then was not able to get the special stage ring in either of the Labyrinth Zone acts (those are hard to get to the end with 50 rings).  So I went into Star Light Zone with only two chances left and needing two Chaos Emeralds.  Got them both for the real ending.  Anybody know why they do not let you get the rings after the Scrap Brain Zone acts?

I will probably try to do a Sonic only run of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 so I can get Super Sonic here pretty soon.  Can Knuckles become Super Knuckles in Sonic 2?

Edit-I should also add what a fun game Sonic is. The first Sonic is my favorite Genesis game, but sometimes I forget how amazing it is.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I will probably try to do a Sonic only run of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 so I can get Super Sonic here pretty soon.  Can Knuckles become Super Knuckles in Sonic 2?

Yes.

So yeah, I conveniently didn't have work on Wednesday, which is why I was able to dump 10 hours of my life into Sonic that day, but I've been busy with work for the past 2 days. Technically I have to wake up in 8 hours to go to work today and I'm sitting here drinking caffeine at midnight again, so same thing tomorrow, as well. I did play Mania again as Sonic & Knuckles about an hour ago and 30 minutes of Sonic R yesterday morning, but still no 3D Blast or Generations or anything else for that matter. I may go back to Akiba on Sunday to look for Neo Geo Pocket Colors again, but maybe not. Tokyo becomes extremely hot and unbelievably miserable in the summer, so I generally avoid going outside unless I absolutely have to. I should have moved to Hokkaido instead.

If there is anyone here who doesn't know how Sonic actually works, let me know and I'll teach you everything you need to know about the physics and how to play Sonic properly and then you will be able to blast through Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3&K, and Mania in minutes with absolutely no effort.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

If there is anyone here who doesn't know how Sonic actually works, let me know and I'll teach you everything you need to know about the physics and how to play Sonic properly and then you will be able to blast through Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3&K, and Mania in minutes with absolutely no effort.

It is impossible to blast through Sonic CD. First you have to travel to the future to check out the bad future. Then go back to the present and on to the past. Find the robot generator and destroy it, and Metal Sonic's Projector while you are at it, and then make your way to the future to check out the good future. And you have to do that for the first two acts of every zone. It takes a while.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

It is impossible to blast through Sonic CD. First you have to travel to the future to check out the bad future. Then go back to the present and on to the past. Find the robot generator and destroy it, and Metal Sonic's Projector while you are at it, and then make your way to the future to check out the good future. And you have to do that for the first two acts of every zone. It takes a while.

Why go to the bad future? There's nothing there to get. You can absolutely beat the game super quickly if you just go straight to the end of the stages without time travel or Special Stages, even if you get the bad ending.

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Why go to the bad future? There's nothing there to get. You can absolutely beat the game super quickly if you just go straight to the end of the stages without time travel or Special Stages, even if you get the bad ending.

To experience everything the game has to offer.

• Like 1

So it's been a few days, but it's Dreamcast time. I forgot completely that Sonic Adventure 2 was actually Sonic's 10th anniversary game and the 10th anniversary logo is right there on the disc. The Japanese disc, anyway; never seen the US disc, although I did play a 3D Sonic game the one time that I did play a US Dreamcast back somewhere in 1999-2002. Not sure what game it was, but I did play one of them. I never really enjoyed about half of Sonic Adventure's content and I actively dislike Sonic Adventure 2, which I have never finished (but my sister did), but I think I'll attempt to finish the game this time.

I haven't sat down and played any game for a while, but all the Sonic exposure and discussion got me in the mood to play through Sonic the Hedehog and beat it last night. I only got 3 emeralds, I was terrible on the bonus stages. I had some trouble climbing the Labyrinth Zone boss stage, I lost 6 Sonics until I finally got to the top. 

I really haven't played this entire game for a long time. I had forgotten stuff, and some of it aggravated me. But overall still a fun experience. 

• Like 3