IGNORED

NetUSBee problems

I have purchased one of these, downloaded all the software linked via Lotherek's web site.

I installed XCONTROL.ACC which loads the CPX file to manage the device.

My problem is when I try to open the Port Setup CPX I get 2 or 3 bombs.

I tried a different version of the XCONTROL.ACC called XCONT_UK.ACC as I'm in the UK, but still get 2 or 3 bombs when I try to open

the port setup.

The Sting Internals .CPX runs ok, I also see Sting installing during boot (momentarily) (is there a way to pause the boot screen) ?

Any idea what I'm doing wrong, I have a 4MB STE with a hard drive.

Can't test this on STEEMSSE as there is no hardware, the CPX files don't run .

Are there any utilities that I can use instead of the CPX files ?

1 hour ago, rustynutt said:

For xcontrol.acc, use the version included with the CT60 package. Its been patched. Mikro's GitHub

Sorry, I don't know what the CT60 package is, can't find any link to it, also don't know any Mikro, googled, but got nothing relevant

18 hours ago, moulinaie said:

Hi!

You can try NETUS.TOS, a utility that tests the hardware.

(you need to press a key sometimes to go to the next test..)

I ran this and it appeared to show everything is ok.

3 hours ago, calimero said:

Easyest way to test it is to use UIP Tool by Sqward (and best way to transfer files):

Removed Sting from Auto folder, ran this and got a DHCP address, however I can't find the web interface shown by the

author, I've searched everywhere on the web site, but can't find it. I tried a ping to the address shown on my STE, but no

pings were returned.

From what I read there's a very complicated set of instructions to get a set of tools available in Cygwin, I tried

to install, but the install script insists Cygwin is on your C drive (mine is not) and there doesn't appear to be a way to change that.

20 minutes ago, calimero said:

Hm... 

on pc/mac/linux you should open web browser and type ip address shown on atari...

Of course, makes sense, will give it a go later, one other thing, it says you can specify a static IP address

by pressing F1, if I do this it pops up with either a different address or offer a static with a prompt, however as

soon as I press any key it exits the program, so can't choose a static address, also doesn't create a file on the hard drive

which the instructions say it should.

many thanks @calimero I managed to get a static IP address, I looked through the code and found where it created

the file (root of the C drive UIP.CFG) not where I run it from, I edited it with the right addresses, reloaded the program and now see the

IP address I wanted, back to PC, put address in browser and hey presto I get connected and can see all my drives/files.

I copied a test file to the ST and it worked a treat, this is going to make things so much easier now.

Do you know if there's a way to copy multiple files from the ST to PC, PC to ST is easy (and fast)

On 6/19/2021 at 12:44 PM, TGB1718 said:

Sorry, I don't know what the CT60 package is, can't find any link to it, also don't know any Mikro, googled, but got nothing relevant

Apologies, even though a small community, big internal foot print :)

The CT60 (68060 accelerator card for the Falcon) comes with a small set of soft tools. One is a patch tool to update xcontrol.acc for 68060 compatibility. Over time, Atari had updated the file. Roger Burroughs (ExtenDOS) mentions an issue in EmuTOS where his solution is to use a later version of it.

That's just an example for using a later version.

Short answer I guess, find an online archive containing the disk that came with each machine. XCONTROL contained on the Falcon disk is the last version from Atari.

Don't know the specifics of what is patched using the patch program included with the CT60, may not be necessary in your instance. Just pointing out there are a few versions of it, it's known to cause issues in some cases.

I know, I talk too much :)

@rustynutt thanks for your reply, although XCONTROL works (loads the .CPX) for Sting, but the only one that bombs

is the Port Control which is obviously the most important.

Not managed to get the CT60 one yet and test it as my STE is in pieces at the moment (floppy drive issues)

doesn't work consistently with any floppy drive I have (4) and a brand new GOEX drive also fails.

So replacing the 74LS245 with a 74HCT245 just in case that's the issue as hard drive is fine.

As soon as I get it back together I'll give the Falcon XCONTROL a try.

• 2 months later...

Finally got my STE back together and working (floppy drives included :) ), UIP works great, however I can't seem to get

any USB sticks to work as I want to backup my old SCSI drive to a USB stick.

I am booting off a floppy with hard drive removed as the ICD drivers won't work with USB devices.

Loading USB, STORAGE then NETUSB06 in that order, the Root Hub and USB stick are seen, but running HDDRIVER.PRG

does not see the USB device.

Have tried 3 different USB sticks, all seen by USB, but not by HDDRIVER.

Is there a preferred type of USB stick, mine are a few years old ?

Should have said, loaded MOUSE.PRG and then plugged in a mouse and it worked immediately, so it looks like the USB is fine

Edited by TGB1718
Update

22 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

it works here without even using HDDriver.

How do you mean works ? 

22 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

Did you try formatting the USB stick on your PC to a compatible file system (FAT16 I think)

Yes tried FAT and also putting an image using balenaEtcher

23 minutes ago, 8bitguy1 said:

Of course, I don't boot from it.  Is that your intention? I'm not sure you can.

No, just need to be able to copy files from my hard drive for backup

11 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

How do you mean works ? 

I mean I can access the USB stick without using HD Driver, just using the storage.prg from the NetUSB setup.  

Yes tried FAT and also putting an image using balenaEtcher

FAT16 works for me.  I haven't tried using an image - maybe try the smallest capacity USB stick you've got?

No, just need to be able to copy files from my hard drive for backup

Seems to work out of the box for me - which is not much help to you.  Just confirming it works.  My regular hard disk driver is from petari, but I also have the latest HD Driver.  I didn't need to do anything special to access the USB stick.  I boot from UltraSatan and not floppy and I have TOS 2.06.

I did some searching and followed a link from another thread and downloaded an image from here:- https://www.newtosworld.de/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74

Wrote the image to a USB stick, booted from floppy, installed USB,STORAGE and NETUSB06, then installed "C:" on the desktop and it worked.

Could copy files to and from the USB stick.

Re-booted with hard drive, first free drive is G: so installed that on the desktop and again I can see the USB stick and copy files each way.

Burnt that image onto all my USB drives and it can see all of them (one at a time), even hot swap works.

I have 2 questions:-

1. Is there a 256MB limit on the USB partitions, I tried to make it bigger with a partition manager, it was fine up to 256MB, but failed anything over that.

2. How do you make partitions, I've tried normal Windows disk manager creating as FAT16 and also using a 3rd party partition tool, none of these work.

I can't believe it's that difficult to format a USB disk so it can be used, also the waste of unused space.

any help appreciated

44 minutes ago, snarkdluG said:

Read STORAGE.TXT that is included in the driver package for NetUSBee:

DOH!!! that old cookie "read the manual" :)

Saying that, I did read it, but thought it implied you needed HDDRIVER which is where mine doesn't seem to work.

However, I only tried BIGDOS with PPUTIL drive as that's where I got the file from.

Will format one of my USB sticks on Windows to something >1GB and use BIGDOS, fingers crossed

Thanks @snarkdluG for your help

50 minutes ago, snarkdluG said:

The size of the partitions is limited by TOS limits: Up to 256MB for TOS < 1.04, Up to 512MB for TOS > 1.04, Up to 2GB for TOS 4.x (Falcon).

I'm doing this on an STE with TOS 2.06, so it should allow >256MB. but it doesn't, I formatted on drive to 500MB and it won't open the stick

So using BigDOS worked with a 2GB drive, that's great, once again, thanks for all the help.

One final question, I'm using ICD Pro with my ICD interface to my hard drive, when I boot with

BigDOS in the AUTO folder, BigDOS asks if I want to write some hex values to my C drive, I selected

No as I don't know what this does, when on the desktop, the first time I open any drive D, E, F it asks the same

question, I've tried to find documentation, but nothing, so not sure what will happen if I say Yes, I assume

it will stop asking if I say Yes, but my concern is that it may not boot any more with ICD Drivers.

It does this every boot, so a bit annoying.

Can anyone enlighten me or if there are any documents, where can I get them