IGNORED

Just got a Tandy Coco 2, now what?

VicViper

Color computer archive is a good resource to find coco software. 

CoCoSDC is an SD cart for the coco, from what I know it emulates both cartridge and floppy disk.

You’re best off getting an original Deluxe joystick from Tandy. The cheap standard sticks are one of the worst in history.

How much RAM does it have? If it’s any less than 64k, look into upgrading it. There are resources online that will guide you in detail. 

Congrats on getting the coco! It’s a very fun computer to play with :) 

16 hours ago, VicViper said:

Hey guys just looking for the basic noob stuff, controller options, SD card carts, good web resources, etc.

Congratulations and Welcome to the World of the CoCo!!!

I've been a CoCo owner since 2012, starting with a NIB CoCo 3, and now I own Two CoCo 1s, Four CoCo 2s and Two CoCo 3, plus some add-ons like a couple Mulit-Pack Interfaces, ( MPIs ) and some Carts like the RS-232 Pak, Sound Carts, like the Sound and Speech Pak and Orchestra ( Orch-90 ).

**bluejay** mentioned The Color Computer Archive:  https://colorcomputerarchive.com/ This the Primary Site for CoCo Software and Documentation. 

There are quite a few more sites, which a lot of them are nicely summarized at : http://imacoconut.com/  This site is run by "ogStevieStrow", who is "our fearless leader" of the CoCoTALK! show, a Live weekly broadcast.

Modern hardware, like the CoCoSDC, that replace the Floppy Disk and Hard Disk with SD card Images, make running Disk Games very easy for a reasonable price.

Since the MPIs let you have multiple Carts installed on your CoCo, and they are kind of Rare, there are modern version, the Mini MPI and Mega-Mini MPI available from Ed "Zippster" Snider, who also sells the CoCoSDC: https://thezippsterzone.com/

The original, Non-Self-Centering JoySticks, ( sometimes referred to as, "Black Beauties" ) are of limited use for most games, so you will want to find one of the Deluxe JoyStick, and buy a modern Digital to Analog Converter for the games that don't use Analog features.  The CoCo's JoySticks are configured as a Voltage Divider, Not as "strict" Resistance, like the IBM-PC or Apple ][ JoySticks, but these Sticks can be modified to work with the CoCo.

A weekly feature of CoCoTALK!, for the past year is our, "High Score Challenge", in which a Game is announced for the Week, and then interested people, play the game and Post a picture of their High Score(s)..  And on the next show they are Ranked and you can see how well you did....   https://cocotalk.live/

MarkO

There is also an option to purchase an adapter that will allow you to use a standard Atari style joystick or a Genesis pad for two button games on a Coco. 

I found for games like stellar life line that using a wico Atari stick gave me so much more control over any standard Coco joystick it was night and day.

18 minutes ago, AtariLeaf said:

Correct I think you need a minimum of 64k for the CocoSDC. Mr Dave if I didn't already have a Coco joystick adapter coming from Neil Blanchard (we're both in Canada) I'd order one of yours. Nice work. 

Dang guess I'm putting more work in, is there a kit? I imagine it involves some soldering.

Yes i am in quebec.canada...The coco2 with that keyboard should have all the chips in sockets ! Even the cpu if you want to switch for a 6309..

Just 1 little jumper to solder for the 64k..but maybe it has it ? 

Try

PRINT MEM

it wont say 64k but you will know if it more tgan 16k..also if you open it up take a photo !

Edited by MrDave

No mention of the sweet, sweet guy that just gave it to you? Looking through this thread, I'm kinda sad I sold the MPI that came with it...but I didn't think I'd ever have a use for it and it was stupid money. Also, I now understand why "extended basic" seemed to be my most valuable cart, lol.

1 hour ago, jesusc said:

No mention of the sweet, sweet guy that just gave it to you? Looking through this thread, I'm kinda sad I sold the MPI that came with it...but I didn't think I'd ever have a use for it and it was stupid money. Also, I now understand why "extended basic" seemed to be my most valuable cart, lol.

But look what you've done you monster, now I'm spending hundreds on another computer?

..... but thanks again ofcourse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jesusc said:

Never mind what I said about the extended basic cart, I got confused with the TI-99 EB cart, that was the most valuable cart of the twenty or so I had. Way cool that editing a post is locked behind a paywall. ?

I need to try ti extended ..has cool sprite stuff on it..