IGNORED

Nintendo Takes Top 5 Preorders @ Gamestop

MrBeefy

Saw this NintendoLife article about how Nintendo had top 5 preorders following E3. https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/06/metroid_dread_is_gamestops_top_pre-order_following_e3_2021

Did anyone preorder any of these? I'm thinking of getting Mario Golf. It looks like something that could be a blast to play multiplayer on.

I'm not surprised given what they queued up so far for the year.  But Mario Golf, I'm avoiding it.  The game just goes further and further off the roots of where it started into some annoying Mario Party style game.  I recently re-acquired Golf Story which plays like Mario Golf when it was utterly fantastic, so I'll stick to that.

Also not on the Top list, but Amazon seems to let the cat out of the bag, both confirming an early December release, and physical too for Advance Wars 1+2 Re-reboot.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm not surprised given what they queued up so far for the year.  But Mario Golf, I'm avoiding it.  The game just goes further and further off the roots of where it started into some annoying Mario Party style game.  I recently re-acquired Golf Story which plays like Mario Golf when it was utterly fantastic, so I'll stick to that.

Also not on the Top list, but Amazon seems to let the cat out of the bag, both confirming an early December release, and physical too for Advance Wars 1+2 Re-reboot.

I'm kind of liking the party aspect, but I get what you are saying. I loved Mario Tennis on GBC for that more RPG type play. If MG doesn't have that it would give me a good excuse to still get Golf Story.

17 hours ago, Tanooki said:

From what I saw, like the 3DS game, it lacks it, or at least has a minimal one over the 3DS one but a sad shadow of what Golf Story does or what Mario Golf GBC did so perfectly and GBA tried but fell a little short of (though still was good.)

I'm guessing Golf Story is comparable to Mario Tennis on GBC? Never played a Golf one beyond Gamecube.

4 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I'm guessing Golf Story is comparable to Mario Tennis on GBC? Never played a Golf one beyond Gamecube.

Very much so.  The difference is you kind of come into more of a run down golf course, get have to basically earn the local pros interest to bother with you at all, and the story develops out from there with large parallels on courses, challenges, harder challenges, and general hurdles to cross to move along through the various golf clubhouses, pros, and trophies that the GBC game did just so well.  The game is also done in a GBC style look, just not limited that hard in colors, more GBA in colorful, but not in its more fluffy poofy color soft tones either as Golf STory isn't mario so it tries to act more serious to the eyes.

Golf Story IS the golf RPG to get if you loved the original Mario Golf more than the diminishing returns of the franchise since the release.  It's not to say the GBA one was rotten, it just had some more obnoxious elements and almost random chance dumb challenges that got in the way at times, but it still ultimately played well.  After that one though, the seeming now 2 handheld versions since got more and more into just being a dopey party game of the masses straying from the more cartoony/cute but serious tones that Camelot sat down in the 2 games they made, not the 2 party style ones Nintendo has done since.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Very much so.  The difference is you kind of come into more of a run down golf course, get have to basically earn the local pros interest to bother with you at all, and the story develops out from there with large parallels on courses, challenges, harder challenges, and general hurdles to cross to move along through the various golf clubhouses, pros, and trophies that the GBC game did just so well.  The game is also done in a GBC style look, just not limited that hard in colors, more GBA in colorful, but not in its more fluffy poofy color soft tones either as Golf STory isn't mario so it tries to act more serious to the eyes.

Golf Story IS the golf RPG to get if you loved the original Mario Golf more than the diminishing returns of the franchise since the release.  It's not to say the GBA one was rotten, it just had some more obnoxious elements and almost random chance dumb challenges that got in the way at times, but it still ultimately played well.  After that one though, the seeming now 2 handheld versions since got more and more into just being a dopey party game of the masses straying from the more cartoony/cute but serious tones that Camelot sat down in the 2 games they made, not the 2 party style ones Nintendo has done since.

I will leave golf story on my wishlist even if I get MG then. I loved Mario Tennis on GBC.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

That's cool. I don't usually get excited over metroid but I may make an exception and get this one.

Honestly, the developer that is making this game is... yeah. I'd never heard of them prior to them making the previous Metroid game, Samus Returns, and apparently there is a reason for that, because they don't have a very good record at all, but Samus Returns is the absolute worst 2D Metroid game of all time. I have little to no confidence that they have learned from the soulless mess of awkward design decisions that is Samus Returns, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Someone will ask me what's wrong with Samus Returns, I'm sure, and my answer, quite simply, is "basically everything", sadly. I don't want to get into specifics about it because it's hard to describe, but basically I just hate pretty much everything about it aside from the awesome music... and of course the single best track in the game plays in the single tiniest area of the game that you are in for such a short period of time that you'll never get to hear it loop at all before you're out of there and you never hear it again. The boss fights were mostly pretty decent, as well. All 4 of them, as there are only like 4 bosses in the game that I remember, and one of them really shouldn't have been in the game anyway.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shin Megami Tensei V wasn't on this list since preorders were not opened in the USA for a while, but I think that it will probably be high on this list in the future, so I figure I might as well mention it here; I insta-preordered Shin Megami Tensei V's Japanese limited edition as soon as it was available on Amazon Japan. I do have a US copy of the steelbook edition preordered as well, as the LE became available when I was asleep and sold out, so I missed that one. It's mostly the same as the Japanese version, though, so maybe I won't bother.

I really hope that this game turns out differently than Shin Megami Tensei IV Final did, though, as that game's pretty terrible. IV was probably the second best game of the past decade, though, and that says something, as I find most turn-based RPGs that are not strategy RPGs to be boring to the point of being unplayable.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 8:49 AM, MrBeefy said:

I think I'm going to do the same. You should let us know how it is when you get it.

16 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Same.  I'm probably more excited for this than any new release this year, to date.

I've played about 2 1/2 hours this morning and having a blast!  I like the Mario Golf games and golf games in general, so there's not really any downsides I've seen yet other than learning how to play the game.  Graphics, sound, and controls are really good.

So far I've played 'solo' and some of the Mii adventure stuff.  I guess the RPG element isn't as deep as say Golf Story, but it scratches the itch for me.

20210625_091632.thumb.jpg.d8f4f5855d9633f0a730cd4b36d65dfe.jpg

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 1

Expanding a tiny bit, I've sunk probably another 6-8 hours into Mario Golf.  The HUGE complaint for me is that I cannot describe the hatred I feel for XC Golf (Obstacle Course golf where you have to clear in a certain number of strokes).

Screw that mode, screw it in the ear.

That being said, I've moved on past it finally with some help from the Net, but ugh!  Such an awful golf mode.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Expanding a tiny bit, I've sunk probably another 6-8 hours into Mario Golf.  The HUGE complaint for me is that I cannot describe the hatred I feel for XC Golf (Obstacle Course golf where you have to clear in a certain number of strokes).

Screw that mode, screw it in the ear.

That being said, I've moved on past it finally with some help from the Net, but ugh!  Such an awful golf mode.

I think that was the section the reviews I heard crapped on. Like they wanted to do something different and realized it was bad and just left that part in.

Just now, MrBeefy said:

I think that was the section the reviews I heard crapped on. Like they wanted to do something different and realized it was bad and just left that part in.

A lot of what I've read said that 'Adventure Mode' lacked depth and stuff, but I'm okay with the content for the most part EXCEPT FOR THE NOT AT ALL FUN OBSTACLE COURSE GOLF THAT'S REQUIRED TO PROGRESS.  ?

I really do think if folks liked the other Nintendo Golf offerings on past consoles and enjoy casual golf games they'd find value in the game.  I think I already got my money's worth out of the game and then some since this has earned a spot in my gameplay rotation. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

They require you to play a mode with obstacles and strict limits on strokes allowed given they also somewhat dumbed down the swing mechanics?  That seem maddening to say the least.

Ugggh, yes.  It's required if you want to progress in 'Adventure Mode'.  It was insanely frustrating and in my opinion totally unnecessary, lol.

The *only* saving grace is that you can equip clubs/items that make it slightly easier, but it doesn't give you a huge advantage.  I also gave in and checked out a guide online that had recommended hole order.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Ugggh, yes.  It's required if you want to progress in 'Adventure Mode'.  It was insanely frustrating and in my opinion totally unnecessary, lol.

The *only* saving grace is that you can equip clubs/items that make it slightly easier, but it doesn't give you a huge advantage.  I also gave in and checked out a guide online that had recommended hole order.

So in your honest opinion, as someone who owns Golf Story on Switch, and loved the first 2 handheld Mario Golf games more than anything from Camelot outside of their non-cute branded Hot Shots... probably best to avoid if you don't want to blow a fuse over something so petty?

Someone failing over and over again should never have to feel the need to run to a guide to learn an order needed to maybe win a mode.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

So in your honest opinion, as someone who owns Golf Story on Switch, and loved the first 2 handheld Mario Golf games more than anything from Camelot outside of their non-cute branded Hot Shots... probably best to avoid if you don't want to blow a fuse over something so petty?

Someone failing over and over again should never have to feel the need to run to a guide to learn an order needed to maybe win a mode.

I'd say if a mandatory part of a game (mandatory for adventure mode, at least) is gonna cause you to blow a fuse, then yes, it's probably best to avoid it, regardless of which title you own on switch, and how many other games you loved in the past.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Really I think everyone's mileage may vary based on their frustration level. Everyone finds different things fun or not fun, and the whole point of playing a game I think is to escape real-life stuff and distract themselves. 

I did get really annoyed with it, but I set it down and did other stuff for a bit and came back- the XC stuff maybe accounts for an hour of the total Adventure Mode playthrough depending on how you play.  I imagine with enough trial-and-error a person could get a hole order that would work for them but I just wanted to move on, lol.

That being said, there's lots to like but if you think it'd make you mad, I'd probably give it a miss. (or a bogey, as it were)

• Like 2