IGNORED

Nintendo Takes Top 5 Preorders @ Gamestop

MrBeefy

I've got plenty of patience, but against that, I have a low annoyance threshold anymore these days, due to external issues that's slowly my eroding my ability to enjoy much of anything anymore other than youtube and quiet more often than not.  So if you can figure where my mind is at times from that odd sentence, then yeah, probably NOT a good idea to get the game as i'd get annoyed at it fairly quickly if they muffed the quality swing mechanics the franchise use to enjoy. Yeah a bogey, double bogey maybe even ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've got plenty of patience, but against that, I have a low annoyance threshold anymore these days, due to external issues that's slowly my eroding my ability to enjoy much of anything anymore other than youtube and quiet more often than not.  So if you can figure where my mind is at times from that odd sentence, then yeah, probably NOT a good idea to get the game as i'd get annoyed at it fairly quickly if they muffed the quality swing mechanics the franchise use to enjoy. Yeah a bogey, double bogey maybe even ;)

So I checked out some Golf Story reviews. It almost seemed more RPG than golf. Is that what it's like?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I totally get where you're coming from and can understand.  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

So I checked out some Golf Story reviews. It almost seemed more RPG than golf. Is that what it's like?

Sorry for double quote- I didn't see this, too.

I feel like Golf Story is 'RPG with Golf as story', haha.  There's quests/sidequests and character building, you just happen to level by playing golf and doing quests.  It has a different feel than Mario Golf, obviously.  

It has a home on my Switch Lite. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Ugggh, yes.  It's required if you want to progress in 'Adventure Mode'.  It was insanely frustrating and in my opinion totally unnecessary, lol.

The *only* saving grace is that you can equip clubs/items that make it slightly easier, but it doesn't give you a huge advantage.  I also gave in and checked out a guide online that had recommended hole order.

That's where I'm at now, the first (only?) XC challenge of 9 holes in 40 strokes. I assume knowing/finding the right order to approach the holes is the only way to do it. I generally run out of strokes on the last hole. As already mentioned here, I found Golf Story to be a far superior game and was completely hooked on it when I first got it. You really get into the characters and the story itself. The golf action is right up my alley too. If I didn't know any better, I'd think Super Rush was the indie game and Golf Story was the game published by Nintendo. 

ETA: To MrBeefy...I definitely wouldn't classify it as an RPG, but pretty much what digdugnate said. Instead of fighting enemies or bosses, there are golf challenges and you get experience points to build your characters skills. You can also just play in golf mode if you want, but the story is really worth it and I never found myself getting stuck in the RPG side with an impossible to solve puzzle or anything like that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, madman said:

That's where I'm at now, the first (only?) XC challenge of 9 holes in 40 strokes. I assume knowing/finding the right order to approach the holes is the only way to do it. I generally run out of strokes on the last hole. As already mentioned here, I found Golf Story to be a far superior game and was completely hooked on it when I first got it. You really get into the characters and the story itself. The golf action is right up my alley too. If I didn't know any better, I'd think Super Rush was the indie game and Golf Story was the game published by Nintendo. 

ETA: To MrBeefy...I definitely wouldn't classify it as an RPG, but pretty much what digdugnate said. Instead of fighting enemies or bosses, there are golf challenges and you get experience points to build your characters skills. You can also just play in golf mode if you want, but the story is really worth it and I never found myself getting stuck in the RPG side with an impossible to solve puzzle or anything like that. 

Well it sounds as though if I want an experience similar to what I had on the Gameboy Color go with Golf Story. If I want a fun multiplayer game that the wife may play, go with Mario Golf.

I might just pick up Golf Story since it is under $8 right now and wait and see if there is a magical price drop in Mario Golf.

1 hour ago, madman said:

That's the approach I took to it (hole order)- generally try to snag the ones higher then hit the lower ones.   I also found having a different driver and wedge (for the life of me I don't remember the names of the clubs without looking) also helped a little.  The rangefinder/etc weren't super useful to me.

• Like 1

I'll probably just look up a guide online like you did. I don't mind having to get good at a game, there was only one of the practice challenges I had to do multiple times. I wasn't frustrated that it was cheap, I just knew I had to get better at reading the green to make the putts. But with this XC thing it's just cheap. I don't want to invest time in trial and error. If I can knock out every single course by myself at par or below, I shouldn't have to struggle with this silly challenge.

I also miss some of the Mario craziness of Toadstool tour. Things like the warp pipes and the stages feeling like you're IN a Mario game. Only the final Bowser stage on Rush feels like it could be a Mario stage. I'm trying not to crap all over the game, but I really had such high hopes. I'll get back into Adventure mode after work, but it sounds like the story never really comes together much based on what I've read.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Read a big classic set of solid reviews on Gameboy Color Mario Golf, it's largely like that.  The game has a story, but basically you can I suppose avoid it to a point, just not largely because you'll have less golf courses to free play upon.  If you can level up enough to clear the current course and beat the local pro, you can go to the next course that's a little more challenging and so on as you proceed along.  Each course you unlock you can go back to time and again and just play for fun, full on, whatever one you want, etc ...even the weird local challenges in the practice areas just for sport too.  It's fairly versatile, but not a straight forward HotShots, LINKS 386 or EA golf/tiger style thing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Read a big classic set of solid reviews on Gameboy Color Mario Golf, it's largely like that.  The game has a story, but basically you can I suppose avoid it to a point, just not largely because you'll have less golf courses to free play upon.  If you can level up enough to clear the current course and beat the local pro, you can go to the next course that's a little more challenging and so on as you proceed along.  Each course you unlock you can go back to time and again and just play for fun, full on, whatever one you want, etc ...even the weird local challenges in the practice areas just for sport too.  It's fairly versatile, but not a straight forward HotShots, LINKS 386 or EA golf/tiger style thing.

At Lurker right now lol. Got to find the idol!

• Like 1

I almost envy you that you're just getting into Golf Story, I had such a great time w/that game. Easy to get sucked into it for a couple hours, but fun just to pick up to pass 10-15 minutes if you want to do that too. I like how it saves all your tasks so you don't have to remember everything you need to do. It also took me awhile to realize I could equip different clubs which probably cost me some time! Enjoy!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, madman said:

I almost envy you that you're just getting into Golf Story, I had such a great time w/that game. Easy to get sucked into it for a couple hours, but fun just to pick up to pass 10-15 minutes if you want to do that too. I like how it saves all your tasks so you don't have to remember everything you need to do. It also took me awhile to realize I could equip different clubs which probably cost me some time! Enjoy!

Yeah I've been sick past couple of days. I will play it for a bit. Be like ah I'm done for the day and an hour later got it booted back up. So simple but fun.

• Like 1