IGNORED

Android on the VCS?

Anyone running an Android OS on the VCS?  I so far have Windows 10 (yuck), Batocera, and Ubuntu on my internal M.2 drive.  I'd love to add an Android OS with the Google Play store.  Basically what I'm looking to do is sideload and install apps and use a simple launcher that runs whatever is selected - much in the way the Atari dashboard is setup or like the interface on an Amazon FireTV.  Things that would be needed... able to control with a bluetooth controller (launching and gaming) - so I'm thinking it may need some sort of keymapper like Octopus to use the gamepad and classic controller.  Also, as mentioned, I'd want to be able to sideload apps, so will need debugging enabled to install apps outside of the store.

Seems there are quite a few out there... I'm giving FydeOS a shot right now, but wondering what if any other distros I might want to take a look at.  I know compatibility with AMD Ryzen can sometimes be an issue with some.

Edited by moonchilddave

I can't seem to get FydeOS to work... I downloaded the MAGICBOOK one which supposedly has support for AMD Ryzen.  I am using rEFInd on the system partition as my boot manager (thanks to @0_obeWAN for all his help) so during the install I don't bother selecting to reinstall rEFInd.  Install goes fine, and when rebooted I see 2 icons for FydeOS - both which just reboot the machine and take me back to the boot menu.  So I'm thinking this is not going to work.  I also tried allowing the installer to go ahead and install rEFInd and I get the same issue there.  Oddly enough, I can use FydeOS if I just leave it on the USB.  So I'm thinking maybe under Windows using Disk Genius to backup each partition on the USB and then restore them to the M.2.

Or maybe it's time to look at other distros.  Just this one looked pretty cool running on a Raspberry Pi...

52 minutes ago, andymanone said:

Yes, it´s easy...

I´m using "Nox Player" on Win10 on my VCS.

Take a look at post:  ->  My NOX Player on VCS

Cheers, 

andY

Windows seems unnecessary (I'm a Mac & *nix guy all the way)... Android is basically linux (which I know my way around pretty decently), so why not run it natively vs emulated or virtualized, you'll theoretically have a better experience.

Edited by moonchilddave

I tried native Android X86, and performance was poor, compared to Windows, and Linux.
However, a new release just came out, 2 days ago.
https://www.android-x86.org/releases/releasenote-8-1-r6.html

Also, soon Android on VCS via Windows 11, apparently!
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-announces-windows-11-will-be-able-run-android-apps

• Like 1

I tried some distributions, Android-x86 Project, Phoenix OS, Bliss OS, but the WIFI card is not recognized, at best the wired card is used as Virtual Wifi. Apart from the fact that these systems seem to be very resource intensive and put a lot of strain on the console. The console was very noisy during my tests.

Finally I recently discovered an Android emulator that suits me (ad-free and customizable) Andy OS on Windows. For what I do with it, IPTV, music, and other apk it's very good.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I found a good working Android version. Bliss OS 14, Standard version, Android 11 based. Runs fast, seems like it supports accelaration and also sound. It has a classic mode view (I dont know how I enabled it)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/blissos-dev/files/Android-Generic/PC/bliss/R/gapps/BlissOS-14.3-x86_64-202106181339_k-google-5.4.112-lts-ax86_m-r_emugapps_cros-hd_gearlock.iso/download

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:54 AM, Wizzard said:

I tried Android x86 8.1 and it does not run bad, just it does not support sound according to my tests.

Also tried 9.0, but it has problems with wifi, even that Virtwifi does not work right.

I had the same problem with the WIFI. I got it working when I used my flip phone's Bluetooth tethering option.