IGNORED

Atari 5200 Prototype Pole Position

swlovinist

I recently won this auction and wanted to share with this group.   Also posted in the protos section with a dump of this version.   Appears to have different gameplay with steering from what I have played.   If anyone has info about the number on the cart, that would be helpful.  Have a good day!  

030.JPG

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, I think the released Pole Position looks like an unfinished prototype considering what could have been done. Turbo on the Colecovision had much better surroundings, but the cars looked very blocky because they were so tiny. Do racing games take a lot more resources than single screen or platformers?

2 hours ago, swlovinist said:

I recently won this auction and wanted to share with this group.   Also posted in the protos section with a dump of this version.   Appears to have different gameplay with steering from what I have played.   If anyone has info about the number on the cart, that would be helpful.  Have a good day!  

030.JPG

Nice find congrats, but where can we find the dump of the proto and others? I've been on AAfor over 15 years and never knew there was a protos section, if you send me some links I can go there maybe later on tonight and try them out on Big Sexy tomorrow morning after the 10 PM-to-8 AM noise curfew ends

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

It's going to be the same as final

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/poleposition/51483.htm

But test it anyway, it's possible that the label might be wrong.

The proto is playing differently, as I compared it to the original.  The steering it different.  I also compared the binary files and they are indeed different.   I would like others to play the version I posted and give their input if possible.  If you look closely, there is a label underneath the top label but have no idea what it says.   

Edited by swlovinist

9 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

be479b628384c067f5fb2bb244263252.gif

Yup, been known to rock the cans when it hits 10:00 PM here, most of the other tenants, even though they know how I operate, live in pretty tight quarters here, so yes I definitely hook up a Bluetooth transmitter to my home theater headphone Jack and use my FiiO BTR3 headphone receiver and some good cans whenever I go night gaming and I have gotten used to doing that. Good tip for those who either wanna rock or go night gaming and live in a apartment complex, set up a Bluetooth unit it will save you in the long run, and you won't get any complaints about it 

54 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

The proto is playing differently, as I compared it to the original.  The steering it different.  I also compared the binary files and they are indeed different.   I would like others to play the version I posted and give their input if possible.  If you look closely, there is a label underneath the top label but have no idea what it says.   

I'll give it a shot later.  Did you post the rom?

8 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Nah.  Make it a 1200XL exclusive.

As long as it's not just locked to the 5200.  Anything on the 5200 I need on the 400/800.  Anything on the 400/800, I have to have it on the 5200.  Don't ask why - just demands.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

As long as it's not just locked to the 5200.  Anything on the 5200 I need on the 400/800.  Anything on the 400/800, I have to have it on the 5200.  Don't ask why - just demands.

The 5200 is the yin to the A8's yang.  Until both software libraries are able to be used on both machines, there will be no peace in the universe.

• Haha 1

Ok I see what you're talking about now.  So does the left movement work the same as the final and it's jus the right that's not working correctly?  It's weird that the emulator isn't showing this issue.   The only possible explanation I have is this is a bug that only shows on a real 5200 and the emulator corrects it somehow.  I'll try this on my real 5200 this weekend.

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

Ok I see what you're talking about now.  So does the left movement work the same as the final and it's jus the right that's not working correctly?  It's weird that the emulator isn't showing this issue.   The only possible explanation I have is this is a bug that only shows on a real 5200 and the emulator corrects it somehow.  I'll try this on my real 5200 this weekend.

Left appears to be calibrated differently than the right.   I also found myself slipping into low gear if I was not careful.   

I tried it on real hardware and they both behaved the same for me.  If the difference is there I can't tell.  Then again my joysticks are a little janky so that could be the difference.

Fun Fact: If you have the 5200 Ultimate SD carts Skip BIOS option on to bypass the splash screen it breaks Pole Position.  The car wont move except a little to the left and you can't do anything to fix it.  Something must get set during that splash screen loop.  Both versions seem to have this issue.