IGNORED

Reliving old memories

Stratofall

So I had a Jag, JagCD and around 40-45 games back in the day. I sold it all off at some point around 2000.

I recently bought another Jag console and a GameDrive.

I didn't realize the homebrew and games released since I never paid much attention to Jaguar stuff until recently.

With the GameDrive... Will I eventually be able to play all the homebrew on it? Cart and CD?

Am I able to buy just the rom files from the Homebrew creators for the carts or CD's? I would like to support them.

The JagCD is so expensive now it's a hard buy for me but I would like to play the CD based games if possible.

So.. can I buy homebrew and newly released games to put on the GameDrive to play them that way? So I don't have to spend a fortune looking for a working CD drive?

Edited by Stratofall

13 hours ago, Stratofall said:

With the GameDrive... Will I eventually be able to play all the homebrew on it? Cart and CD?

Most (if not all) should work fine on it.

13 hours ago, Stratofall said:

Am I able to buy just the rom files from the Homebrew creators for the carts or CD's? I would like to support them.

Some of them offer that option, yeah.

1 hour ago, Stratofall said:

Thank you all.

That orionsoft looks very cool. Will be buying those up.

Also, where is the best place for news on homebrew games for the Jaguar?

This forum?

Nowhere else but here. This forum is the main hangout for the Jag community.

EDIT: Forgot to say, you can download some freebie homebrew games from Reboot's website: https://www.reboot-games.com/

So, scouring the net... Especially ebay. Prolly not the smaetest thing.

However.... I came.across this seller that has four game discs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-JagTris-CD-Game-/133799259757?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Are these just burned cd's? Or are these actual pressed discs?

Also... I decided to complement my console with a JagCD.

Just in case there are games that can't be played on the GameDrive.

Guess I'm going all in at this point. :)

Edited by Stratofall

You have to be careful buying homebrew off EBay and etsy, let's just leave it at that. Jagtris is one of the earliest homebrews on the Jag, if you want the latest/greatest version of Jagtris, you should buy Loopz from our friend Carl at Songbird: https://songbird-productions.com/product/loopz-jaguar/

That said, you can find the original release out there on the intertubes for download, I believe it is public domain.

Is there an issue with counterfit games on the Jag?

I have bought several games from Songbird in the past day or two. I already have two of the reproduction Pro controllers. :)

A lot of their stuff is sold out on their site but the songbird ebay account still has some of the stuff available. So I got some from both places.

myatari seems like a place to get stuff from as well.

I'll most likely scour the threads a bit more. I really want to support the homebrew though. To help encourage more games to be released.

I do the same with the TG16/PCE.

Is the atariage store coming back at some point does anyone know? I mean... I don't know when they took it down or stopped taking orders. So have no idea how long it's been. But I am more than interested in getting any of the commercial homebrew games through reputable places.

6 minutes ago, Stratofall said:

Is the atariage store coming back at some point does anyone know? I mean... I don't know when they took it down or stopped taking orders. So have no idea how long it's been. But I am more than interested in getting any of the commercial homebrew games through reputable places.

I'll have the store back online early next week. Just took it down for a few weeks so orders wouldn't stack up while I'm working on getting a large number of pre-order games shipped.  We have a large number of newer Jaguar games in the store that we have published, as well as many Piko and Songbird releases.

The Jaguar titles that we have published thus far:

• Rebooteroids
  • AstroStorm
  • Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
  • Treasure Island Dizzy
  • Fantasy World Dizzy
  • Escape 2042
  • Jeff Minter Classics
  • reBOOTed
  • Last Strike
  • Brawn and Brains
  • Defender of the Crown (out of stock)

And many more are in the pipeline, we'll have more releases this summer.

..Al

• Thanks 2

Dude .. lol ... Defender of the Crown? Tell me I can get that at some point?

I used to play that I think it was on the computer during the DOS days? Maybe 3.1? I don't know... but it would be awesome to see again.

I literally just bought whatever was available on the songbird site.

I'm so crazy excited I may have gone Jag retarded....

Like I said... I had a lot of Jag games back in the day. But all this new homebrew stuff really makes me excited to try and get back into the Jag hard.

I'm the same way with TG16/PCE. I own all that stuff though. Every last piece. :)

28 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'll have the store back online early next week. Just took it down for a few weeks so orders wouldn't stack up while I'm working on getting a large number of pre-order games shipped.  We have a large number of newer Jaguar games in the store that we have published, as well as many Piko and Songbird releases.

The Jaguar titles that we have published thus far:

• Rebooteroids
  • AstroStorm
  • Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
  • Treasure Island Dizzy
  • Fantasy World Dizzy
  • Escape 2042
  • Jeff Minter Classics
  • reBOOTed
  • Last Strike
  • Brawn and Brains
  • Defender of the Crown (out of stock)

And many more are in the pipeline, we'll have more releases this summer.

..Al

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stratofall said:

Dude .. lol ... Defender of the Crown? Tell me I can get that at some point?

I used to play that I think it was on the computer during the DOS days? Maybe 3.1? I don't know... but it would be awesome to see again.

I literally just bought whatever was available on the songbird site.

I'm so crazy excited I may have gone Jag retarded....

Like I said... I had a lot of Jag games back in the day. But all this new homebrew stuff really makes me excited to try and get back into the Jag hard.

I'm the same way with TG16/PCE. I own all that stuff though. Every last piece. :)

He'll have more copies of Defender of the Crown at some point. Meanwhile, if you have the Jag GD, you can download quite a few fun free games from Reboot's website. That should keep you occupied until the AtariAge store comes back online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stratofall said:

Is there an issue with counterfit games on the Jag?

myatari seems like a place to get stuff from as well.

Not counterfeit for the most part, most repros say what they are, but there are a lot of piratical sorts out there selling games without permission.

myatari (B&C ComputerVisions) is awesome. You can get Brett Hull Hockey and other prototypes from them if you want physical copies. BHH is basically a finished game.

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

if you have the Jag GD, you can download quite a few fun free games from Reboot's website. That should keep you occupied until the AtariAge store comes back online.

On the site: Releases / Commercial will also take you directly to the store page for the release - if you purchase from there you can 100% guarantee they are not dodgy knock-offs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Not counterfeit for the most part, most repros say what they are, but there are a lot of piratical sorts out there selling games without permission.

myatari (B&C ComputerVisions) is awesome. You can get Brett Hull Hockey and other prototypes from them if you want physical copies. BHH is basically a finished game.

Are there updated roster versions of Bret Hull Hockey?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm getting their. :)

But yes, I need to start getting the downloadable games for the GameDrive at this point.

I still have a handfull coming from the Atariage store. And I need to figure out what ones I still don't have.

Been having a blast with the Jag and JagCD. Even my wife really hasn't complained about me playing them at night in bed.

20210731_201928.jpg

20210731_203117.jpg

20210731_202638_HDR.jpg

• Like 2