IGNORED

TRS-80 Model III Restored

glurk

So, I've had this old (48K) machine for some time, and decided to restore it.  I've done a lot, and it all works except I have two dead floppy drives.  I've cleaned them, adjusted the RPM with the strobe wheel, etc. but no good.  I'm certain that they are physically OK, but just in need of re-calibration, possibly alignment.

Who can do that?  I don't have a scope, or the advanced stuff necessary, or any working drive.  They aren't doing me any good broken, so what should I do?

In the meantime, I'd like to be able to use the machine for something more than cassette BASIC.  I'd like to get an HxC / GOTEK solution and I'd PREFER to get something that's ready-to-go.  I really do not want another major damned project, with firmware updates, assorted parts, blah blah...  I'm willing to pay extra just to get something EASY for a change.  I'm tired...

Does anyone sell such a device?  Plug-and-go?    I could use some advice on what would be best to do.

For an easy floppy emulator upgrade I suggest going with the HxC.  It is a direct plug-in replacement for the Tandon drives.  You will only need a 34pin ribbon cable to connect the HxC to your Model III's floppy controller.  The HxC will support 2 drives so you will will only need the one device.  It is more costly than the Gotek, but it is easier to use out of the box with no firmware flashing required.

• Like 2

So, I've had this old (48K) machine for some time, and decided to restore it.  I've done a lot, and it all works except I have two dead floppy drives.  I've cleaned them, adjusted the RPM with the strobe wheel, etc. but no good.  I'm certain that they are physically OK, but just in need of re-calibration, possibly alignment.

Who can do that?  I don't have a scope, or the advanced stuff necessary, or any working drive.  They aren't doing me any good broken, so what should I do?

In the meantime, I'd like to be able to use the machine for something more than cassette BASIC.  I'd like to get an HxC / GOTEK solution and I'd PREFER to get something that's ready-to-go.  I really do not want another major damned project, with firmware updates, assorted parts, blah blah...  I'm willing to pay extra just to get something EASY for a change.  I'm tired...

Does anyone sell such a device?  Plug-and-go?    I could use some advice on what would be best to do.

I have them ready to go at arcadeshopper.com also 3d print mounts for the drive bay

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Sorry to jump on this topic. Good job on restoring your Model III. I always loved the silver color of that machine.

I restored a 4p but the floppy drive is flaky. It will read and write its own disks but not read others. I don't have a strobe or equipment to work on it. Is there a place where I can get a refurb Tandon TM 50 drive? Maybe sent mine in for future refurb? Any help appreciated.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I have them ready to go at arcadeshopper.com also 3d print mounts for the drive bay

Well, I'm actually interested, and have the money, but that website says "SOLD OUT" on the very things that I would need.

Well, I'm actually interested, and have the money, but that website says "SOLD OUT" on the very things that I would need.

Oh let me fix that I must have not set them back in stock when I got more in

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Ok lmk if you see anything else you need and can't order

• 1 month later...

OK, I've got this TRS-80 almost finished, I guess.  I got the Gotek from arcadeshopper here, and it works great.  I only had to change the drive select jumper.  But I want to ask anyone here a couple of things...

First off, does anyone have one of the 5 1/4" drive "blanking plates" that came in a non-disk model?  I want to fill in that hole, and I'd love to have one of the original ones.  I'll buy one if the price is reasonable!!  I know some must be out there somewhere...

Second, I'm having a really hard time finding software.  With the Atari stuff, there are a million sites with ATR images, etc...  For the TRS-80, not so much.  In fact, I've found pretty much nothing.  I'm having a hard time even finding bootable DOS images of LDOS, NewDOS, etc...  Isn't there a darn TRS-80 archive out there somewhere!!  I've found a few dead sites, sigh.  Please help!!

Nah, not that one, the OTHER hole.  :)  I have the Gotek setup, and plan to put a real working floppy in the top drive bay, but I don't have one right now.

So, I'm looking for the original Radio Shack "Drive Blankers" like those that came with cassette models with no disk drives.  And hoping that somebody out there actually kept one and still has it...  I'm trying to be "historically accurate" I guess...

On 8/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, glurk said:

Nah, not that one, the OTHER hole.  :)  I have the Gotek setup, and plan to put a real working floppy in the top drive bay, but I don't have one right now.

So, I'm looking for the original Radio Shack "Drive Blankers" like those that came with cassette models with no disk drives.  And hoping that somebody out there actually kept one and still has it...  I'm trying to be "historically accurate" I guess...

I'm not sure where you are located in the world, but maybe ask Jay if he has any. He used to stock a lot of spare parts for the TRS-80. I purchased a recapped Model 3 power supply from him in the past so I can recommend him.  I don't know what he has left these days, but I think it's worth an email.

• 1 month later...

This is the kinda stuff I do when I get bored...

I just "made" this thing last night, just posting because I think it's kinda cool, LOL.  Cheap Chinese battery powered speaker from Goodwill ($3.00), made and soldered in a volume control trim pot inside the battery compartment (it had NO volume control, but empty pads), soldered in a DIN5 cable I already had that connects directly to the TRS-80 cassette port, painted the gaudy green speaker outer rims white, and made a TRS-80 label for it.

It has a 1-chip amp inside, an 8002B, and runs FOREVER on 3 AA batteries.  Sits on top the Model III and actually sounds really good.  I'm happy with it, haha!

trsnd.jpg

• Like 3