IGNORED

Modify QI console for finalgrom99 use

arcadeshopper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 1:54 AM, JJB said:

Just to let you know I am still busy at it ;-)

Just wondering if there is any kind of update. 

I just received my TMS9928 chip to change my TI-99 to RGB. I'm debating whether I should mod my QI unit or try and find another TI-99 that works with the FinalGROM.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 12:27 PM, Calab said:

Just wondering if there is any kind of update. 

I just received my TMS9928 chip to change my TI-99 to RGB. I'm debating whether I should mod my QI unit or try and find another TI-99 that works with the FinalGROM.

I made some progress in terms of being able to manipulate CPLD timing and will probably get to a version that will achieve the same as the physical mod. However, even if it is possible to make a fully working version  with just FG99 software updates it will take a long time (for me that is, lots of other things going on).

Case in point: I will be away from my mancave for at least 6 weeks from next week.

Edited by JJB
clarification

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anybody willing to test out the attached CPLD update file (JB_UPDATE.PLD)? It still has the annoying menu and folder screw-ups (see earlier in thread) but it should behave the same as the RC fix. I have attached the latest original 1.3 update as well. 

To install either the update or the original, rename file to UPDATE.PLD and save in root of the FG SD. Reset and the update installs automatically. Once the LED is off remove the update file from the SD.

BTW if you get an error trying to load an image from a folder, try power cycling that seems to help. 

Any observations you can share will help!

Thanks,

Jochen

JB_UPDATE.PLD ORG13_UPDATE.PLD

• Like 2

I am willing to do this test.  But I want to understand it first.  Please let me know if my assumptions are wrong. 

It is my understanding that:
- I would be applying a new programming to the FinalGROM99.

- that it would still work on non-QI consoles.

- I can put the old program (firmware?) back on the FinalGROM99 cart.

And lastly, I have a question.  My QI console has the 1981 firmware.  Does this invalidate my test, or make it even better somehow?

Darryl

5 hours ago, dphirschler said:

I am willing to do this test.  But I want to understand it first.  Please let me know if my assumptions are wrong. 

It is my understanding that:
- I would be applying a new programming to the FinalGROM99.

- that it would still work on non-QI consoles.

- I can put the old program (firmware?) back on the FinalGROM99 cart.

And lastly, I have a question.  My QI console has the 1981 firmware.  Does this invalidate my test, or make it even better somehow?

Darryl

Hi Darryl:

- yes it applies updated firmware to one of the FG99 components (called a CPLD)

- I haven't tested it on my non-QI console, first priority is to get it running on QI's so those users can enjoy FG99 as well. Compiling one version that works on both consoles is likely a separate project

all together, not sure if I want to put in the time. I have other projects to attend to ;-) 

- yes you can. I have included the latest version of the original firmware as well; installing either firmware is the same process.

Cheers,

John

Hi Darryl:

- yes it applies updated firmware to one of the FG99 components (called a CPLD)
- I haven't tested it on my non-QI console, first priority is to get it running on QI's so those users can enjoy FG99 as well. Compiling one version that works on both consoles is likely a separate project
  all together, not sure if I want to put in the time. I have other projects to attend to ;-) 
- yes you can. I have included the latest version of the original firmware as well; installing either firmware is the same process.

Cheers,

John
QI is the motherboard. It has nothing to do with the ROMs. The QI motherboard can have either ROM revision in it 1981 or the 1983. The problem with the final Grom is with the motherboard circuitry so your test should work the same no matter what ROM someone has

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

As an additional update, I have modified the _microcontroller_ firmware to jump back to the title screen before the garbled screen appears and (usually) locks the TI. It also seems to solve the problem of the flashing LED when opening certain folders.  I  other words, both updates together make FG99 reasonably useful on the QI ... well, on my QI - lets wait for other test results ?

Updating the microcontroller is similar to the CPLD: save the relevant file as UPDATE.AVR in the root of the SD and reset the FG99. Don't forget to remove the update file before using the FG99.

I have also attached the original microcontroller firmware.

FG99ORG_update.avr JB_update.avr

Edited by JJB
clarity
  • Like 3

I applied both updates to my FG99.  Selecting a folder causes the system to restart, then going into the FINAL GROM 99 menu brings up the contents of the selected folder.  (Remember to wait for the LED to extinguish.)  Same if I select the .. folder.  Selecting a game causes the system to reset but then that game is in the menu.  This is expected behavior for some games but now happens on all of the games I tested, whether they are ROM-only or GROM/ROM.

Otherwise, these updates are working on my QI console.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I applied both updates to my FG99.  Selecting a folder causes the system to restart, then going into the FINAL GROM 99 menu brings up the contents of the selected folder.  (Remember to wait for the LED to extinguish.)  Same if I select the .. folder.  Selecting a game causes the system to reset but then that game is in the menu.  This is expected behavior for some games but now happens on all of the games I tested, whether they are ROM-only or GROM/ROM.

Thanks for testing! Excellent news. 

The reset to the title screen is just a temporary work-around; without it you had to either soft or hard reset manually anyway + access to certain folders / images generated an error (flashing led). 

Did you happen to test speech as well (Parsec, Alpiner etc)?

The main problem has been getting the CPLD timing right, fixing the menu should be easier (famous last words lol).

Thanks again; will keep the community posted.

Jochen

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

How about TEII, TEXT-2-SPEECH? I think I've had issues in the past...

...Presumably related to timing and the DSR(SPEECH).

Works fine but I have integrated my speech synthesizer in the console using the GROM port data bus. Maybe not the best test ...

• Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 2:40 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Having to wait for the LED is actually showing the problem. While a folder / image is loading into the cart's SRAM you should see that spinning throbber thingy but instead FG99 jumps to the module starting address right away. I should hopefully be able to come up with a fix for that.

Are you by chance able to try the updated FG99 on a classic console? 

Edited by JJB
technical bs

1 hour ago, JJB said:

Are you by chance able to try the updated FG99 on a classic console? 

On a non-QI console I can see the spinning animation when opening a folder or loading a game, then the MTS.

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

On a non-QI console I can see the spinning animation when opening a folder or loading a game, then the MTS.

So you see the FG99 choice + the initial SD contents on the non-QI? if yes 1 version for both consoles may be closer than I thought.

If you still feel like testing (thanks again BTW) you could install the original AVR firmware to see what it does on the non-QI

6 hours ago, JJB said:

So you see the FG99 choice + the initial SD contents on the non-QI?

At first power-up, yes.

6 hours ago, JJB said:

If you still feel like testing (thanks again BTW) you could install the original AVR firmware to see what it does on the non-QI

You want the original AVR firmware with your CPLD update, correct?  I will try that when I get back today.

14 hours ago, JJB said:

8 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

At first power-up, yes.

You want the original AVR firmware with your CPLD update, correct?  I will try that when I get back today.

In this configuration, the non-QI shows the spinning loading icon when entering folders and when loading games, does not reset.  Speech still works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1