IGNORED

Atari 7800 Label Variations List

Philflound

Hey, all! I wanted to let you know that I began the Atari 7800 label variation list This one is going to be a challenge because Atariage only has 1 cartridge/manual/box per game, Atariboxed the same, and Atarimania has nothing and is "under construction". A lot of my inventory is sealed, The good news is that the 3rd party software (Absolute, Activision and Froggo) don't have many games and maybe do not have much in the way of variations. The Atari made games should be fun to research. So I started to build the document. My guess is this is going to take about 2 months, so hopefully I'll have everything I can do on my part finished by the end of August. I should have within a week or two the basic page along with the list being done. The scans of course are going to be the most tedious. I'll try and use what I can download first from here along with whatever my inventory has. I spent about 2+ hours last night and got a decent amount done with the 3rd party on the list. No scans yet, but I'll get all the photos on my computer and then slowly work on the site and upload as I get things finished.

When I'm ready for help, I'll post here and hopefully others can help out. My guess is that most of the Atari made games will have anywhere between 2-4 variations. Just as an example, I happened to pull Food Fight off the shelf since I only have a loose copy of this. I did some research and it seems there are 3 cartridge label variations along with 3 box variations.. Manuals are going to be the toughest to get ahold of scans. That is probably where I'm going to need the most help. Anyway, I'll let everyone know when I've posted something of the 7800 on the site and you can follow my progress as I update. Thanks in advance for your help.

Phil

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

That is how he does his 2600 list, so I am sure it is the same here.

Since I haven't looked at his 2600 list I wouldn't know. Compared to the 2600, the variations on 7800 games is very minimal. A decent amount of them have no variations. I wish him luck though.

Mitch

2 hours ago, Mitch said:

Other than Ballblazer and Pole Position 2 there really isn't much in the way of label variations. Unless you're talking about copyright dates/fonts.

Mitch

If you look at the 2600 variation list, you'll know exactly what I list for variations.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Since I haven't looked at his 2600 list I wouldn't know. Compared to the 2600, the variations on 7800 games is very minimal. A decent amount of them have no variations. I wish him luck though.

Mitch

It's a very detailed list. I'm very extensive with the information. I didn't anticipate many variations with the 7800 as it is such a small library and I don't expect they changed much to the point that they would need to keep production going. But you'd be surprised. I had only put the first two entries in, 32 in 1 and Ace of Aces when I just happened to look at the Food Fight cartridge on my shelf. When it said Printed in Taiwan, I had the feeling that there would be variations. Funny thing is there is a 1986 and a 1987 Printed in Taiwan label, but I haven't seen Taiwan put on the box at all. With the 2600, Made in / Printed in were usually consistent. If the label said Taiwan, the box would say Taiwan. China label, China box. Hong Kong label, Hong Kong box. So who knows what is out there.

I had planned on covering many systems when I first created the website. That is why Intellivision had been started. I got sidetracked with life over the years and thus there are still many things incomplete on the site with the 2600 and the Intellivision just abruptly stops. When I moved to Florida, my Intellivision stock was packed away. I figure I have a few hundred boxed games. At the moment, I have no idea where any of it is, so Intellivision is still on hold. I also plan to do the 5200 and Colecovision. Whether or not I do any other vintage systems, like Odyssey 2, Bally Astrocade, RCA Studio II, Fairchild, etc is up in the air. I have extensive libraries of the majority of vintage games, but not necessarily extra stock. Who knows even if there are many variations with any of those other systems.

SMS will probably not be done. If I could get ahold of NES, that would be a fun task. I do know the president of WATA and have been to his house with his SUPER EXTENSIVE collection, but getting a list and scans from them is probably never going to happen. I have over 500 NES games in my collection, but don't have much overstock. I think without a NES list to go off, I'd have no idea of how many variations would be out there for any particular game. WATA has described on their site there are 11 different Super Mario Bros boxes out there.

Anyway, like I've mentioned in the past, I love doing this and want to give members of the collecting world something they can use. Actually WATA has access to my 2600 info and since they are grading Atari and other vintage games, it's extremely helpful to them to have as accurate information as possible. So enjoy and like I said, if you see anything I'm missing you can contribute, I'd appreciate it.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 2

Phil, there is one thing (or group of things) that might make the 7800 list as hard as the 2600 list, the original 1984 releases. I am not 100% sure they were actually released in stores in 1984, but copies of the 1984 releases do exist. Unfortunately their rarity is on the high side.

There's (at least) four different Pole Position II label variations: 1984 Text Label (Pack-in), 1986 Text Label (Pack-in), 1987 Text Label (Pack-in), 1988 Color/Pic label (Standalone).

@Tempest provides a very nice overall summary of a half dozen 7800 (Atari) label variations - don't believe third party labels are mentioned though.  Of course, each variation is not applicable for every (Atari) game released.

• Like 1

Great news, congratulations, count 100 percent with me!
His working technique is infallible and will add a lot to the collectors of the Atari 7800.
I think it would be important to start collecting REV, PSN and information about the printing industry at the very beginning, this can help to clear up a lot of doubts in the course of the work.
Regards
Daniel

• Like 1

Like I mentioned, I don't have much in the way of loose cartridges. I do have some duplicates, maybe a few dozen, 40-50 loose extras I think at most. I finished listing all the 3rd party stuff, a total of 10 games between Absolute, Activision and Froggo. I'm not going to include the foreign release like HES, similar to what I actually do not cover in the 2600 list. For Absolute, I am listing ONLY the labels that say 7800 on them, not the 2600 version that has both 2600 and 7800 on them. That is, unless there is a strong argument as to why I should include them. I did notice on my Karateka box which is open, that the printer on the tiny flap is WA-TA, one of the listings included in late 1980s 2600 boxes. I will document manuals that have the printer code differences also, example B.T.3.1988. I will count these as separate listings. I did see one of the manuals, maybe the Food Fight, which had the 1987 copyright date, but had the B.T. date for 1988. I'm very excited about working on this.

Phil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krslam said:

There was a similar topic on VideoGameSage awhile back, which is where I made my inputs:

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/254-atari-7800-full-us-list-with-variants7800-lovefest/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-6755

Awesome! Something I'll definitely look over. Maybe I'll contact the OP. Of course I'm not for the list but for the proof, so I'll hopefully be able to get scans for everything.

16 hours ago, Trebor said:

There's (at least) four different Pole Position II label variations: 1984 Text Label (Pack-in), 1986 Text Label (Pack-in), 1987 Text Label (Pack-in), 1988 Color/Pic label (Standalone).

Do you mean like this?

Mitch

Poleposition84Cart.jpg

PP286.jpgPole_Positionalt.jpg

Pole_Position.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Do you mean like this?

Mitch

That's it.  Plus the 1986 copyright text variation and the Picture label variation that has a copyright of 1988. 

Don't think there is a label variation that states copyright 1985, could be wrong though.

:ponder:

I see them fine too. If you have end labels for them, I'd appreciate them too. I actually have a few copies of PP2, but have not looked at my stock yet. I'm making my youtube video for Bronze Age Marvel comics tomorrow so after that, I'm going to delve into the 7800 list and scans.

6 hours ago, Mitch said:

Weird, obviously Trebor didn't see them either but I see them fine now.

Try here for the end labels. I only did two of them.

Mitch

Odd thing is this morning, I see them all now.  Indeed, yesterday I only saw two of them in your first post with pics and nothing in the follow up one.

Today they are all present...odd...lol.