IGNORED

Which was the first multi-cart? Atarimax or?

Larry

when it comes to cartridges on which you could save several programs and select from the menu or using a switch, such designs were already available in the 80s (eprom / eeprom / ram-battery) but with flash memories, I do not know.

The TurboFreezer by Engel (late 80's) was able to save the whole RAM and restore it immediately, so maybe it counts in, too.

Remember of a ROM-Disk even then - akku puffered RAM.

Owned none of those ;) 

Edited by pps

6 hours ago, tjlazer said:

SunMark made some of the first Multicarts for the Atari 8-bits.

I had a couple of these but traded them off a few years ago, except for my all Synapse games one.

@Mclaneinc - I tried briefly to dump my SunMark Synapse cart but didn't have much luck the first couple of attempts so I gave up rather quickly. I meant to get back to it at some point but of course haven't yet.  I need to remember to give it another try soon.  Does anyone have any idea what cart type/banking scheme I should try with it?  I *think* that I tried it as a Megacart type but wasn't successful. Although, like I said, I really put very little time into it.  

38 minutes ago, tjlazer said:

I dumped Synapse Games and Datasoft Games

If I may ask, what did you use to dump them?  What cart type/banking scheme too?  I am definitely going to download yours but would still like to see if I can dump my own as well.  Thanks.  

6 minutes ago, SS said:

If I may ask, what did you use to dump them?  What cart type/banking scheme too?  I am definitely going to download yours but would still like to see if I can dump my own as well.  Thanks.  

They seem to be MegaCart 512 KB images.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tjlazer said:

Thank you so much...As said, lovely almost perfect collections..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SS said:

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

They seem to be MegaCart 512 KB images.

I must have used the wrong setting on my initial attempt.  I just tried it again as a 512K MegaCart and it dumped right away.  My cartridge seems to be exactly the same as the one that tjlazer dumped.  

20210627_165234.jpg

Synapse SunMark Megacart.car

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SS said:

My cartridge seems to be exactly the same as the one that tjlazer dumped.  

The same in terms of game content and menu order, but they're not a byte-by-byte match when using file compare on them; there are quite a few differences.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrFish said:

The same in terms of game content and menu order, but they're not a byte-by-byte match when using file compare on them; there are quite a few differences.

Would the differences likely be with the cartridges themselves or could the method used for the dumping process cause these differences?  My cartridge seems to be one of the initial run of 50 of the Synapse carts.  I used an "AtariMax MaxFlash USB Programmer" cartridge to dump it.  

• Like 1