IGNORED

Visit to TI Records Archive at SMU

FarmerPotato

The Texas Instruments Records at the SMU DeGolyer Library in Dallas, TX, preserves the company's history. It is open to the public by appointment. The curator tells us that it holds "1500 linear feet" of materials (I imagine banker's boxes on steel shelves.) Jon Guidry corresponded with the curator: at the time, she told him that there are boxes of uncatalogued technical documents.

https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/taro/smu/00063/smu-00063.html

Some of the audiovisual resources are digitized here:

https://www.smu.edu/libraries/digitalcollections/tir

I enjoyed searching for "speech". There are recordings of voice actors trying different intonations, and reading vocabulary lists for the Speak and Spell.

From Tue-Wed, June 29-30, I will spend two days at the library, becoming familiar with what materials are in the archive.  My goal (duh) is to find anything related to the home computers. I have some lists (Klaus!) of known documents that folks hope are still preserved.

For myself, I'm interested in all speech products, 9900 chips, and TI-990. Heck, anything about TI is interesting to me. 

When I arrive, I will find out what I can and can't do--for instance, making copies? sharing? Which, probably, are not permitted. I will offer to leave the curator my description of everything I recognize.

What I need from y'all: your knowledge. I'll make updates on this thread while I'm there.   I need your help to put things in context. For instance, have we seen X before? If I'm allowed to make/share copies: priorities?

For my preparation, here are the threads I looked at so far:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/295223-historical-interviews-with-ti-employees/
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/300972-cb-wilson-items/
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/313064-cb-wilson-ti-99-related-documents/
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/306118-ti-items-photo-archival-thread
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/320657-questions-about-tms9985-tms9995/
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/248687-ti-99-docs-manuals-ebooks-lost-found/

In particular, @kl99 made a list of titles that he hopes to find:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/277744-ti-992-questions/?do=findComment&comment=4021516
after http://www.ti99.eu/?page_id=25

-Erik

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

I am at the library, working through the catalog now. 

1. First  folder I browsed was a History of Early TI Computers. This covers 1955-1966, and production to 1970, of computers for processing seismic data (TI origin in Geophysical Services Inc) 

2. Speech Education Module Users Guide. May 1982. A University type board with serial terminal and serial connection to a 990. 5220 and 6100 learning board.  Play LPC and manipulate parameters. 

Full schematics and BOM.

Programmed in 7040 and FORTH (@TheBF). Complete source code. FORTH words for editing LPC. Features an object code loader in FORTH  to download code/data from a 990.

I have photos , but not allowed to publish w/o permission from TI. it is however a public manual. 

Edited by FarmerPotato
  • Like 6

I am impressed that you are finding such relevant material!

I have worked (professionally) in two different major archives, and I have undertaken research at many others. It is very rare to find business records, and given the relatively late date at which this material was donated, I expected that it would be whatever bits and pieces had survived more by chance than the results of a formal corporate archival program. I am happy to be wrong in this case.

Slightly O/T, but I once considered a Masters in History thesis focusing on a longstanding and important local business. It was about 130 years-old at that point. The current owners acquired the business in about the early-1970s. They built a new office building on the site. The old building was then turned-over to the local volunteer fire department for a training exercise. I asked about all of the business records that had been stored in the old building... ?

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

I have found a tape up of the TMC 0285 parameter ROM. this is the mask with 0s and 1s  of the K- coefficients that were such a mystery (see MAME source code for 5220). I believe those numbers were verified by chip decap. I found the original mask. 

That would be the missing page from the TMC0285 manual that I put up on WHT years ago, courtesy of Mike Bunyard's files.

• Like 3

I need help with:

1. names of any TI employees listed on known Cc-40 documents. in case the individual is named in the catalog, but the material is not detailed. 

2. anyone have a list of project names? For example Armadillo for 99/8 and Ground Squirrel for 99/2, Spelling Bee for Speak&Spell. I have one lead to Armadillo, but it may be something different. 

What is SEA DRAGON?

3. Stumped by these acronyms:

TI divisions:

DSEG

ASC

OST: Objectives, Strategies, Tactics

IS&S

the Home computer material is not abundant. (It’s almost like all the HC engineers took their files home, hmm.) 

• Like 1

Continuing today

irony of how archives are in accession order: all the Speak&Spell folders are together with Laser Guided Bomb. 

data manuals RG-20 box 5 25B. 1977.

Total Integration: TI short form Catalog of ICs 2nd Ed. 1977. Lovely little “pocket” reference size A5 from Bedford, England TI Ltd. Block diagrams and selection guide for uPs 9900, SBP9900, 9980, 9940, 74S481, SBP0400, 990x chips. AMPL. 8080, 1x00, 4116 etc. DTL, TTL. 

Stand-alone 9980A/9981 databook. 1977. Probably same as Family Systems book. Photos just in case. 

One book has TI Italia copyright page. Spine title other way round.

Box 13. 1987. 

Mil products baseline and errata to data books. 1987. SMJ and 54 prefix parts. Like SMJ27C512. SMJ320x0. SMJ9914.

Data manuals for TSP6100 , TSP50C50A, TSP5110A,TSP5220C,users guide TSP5220C. 

TSP5220C speech synthesis data manual. 1987. 

TSP5220C users guide. 1986. Demo board operation, applications. Demo board schematic has 10V supply: VDD VREF VSS are 0,5,10 instead of -5,0,5. everything else is CMOS with VCC 10. Uses 27C64 to replace 6100 ROM with 16 demo phrases. 

TSP52C40A 7.1 prototype ordering instructions with custom mask ROM of speech data. 

TMS34010 assembly language tools 1987. for PC demo card. Assembler, linker, archiver. Command line tools for TIPC, IBMPC, VAX. 

TMS34010 Math/graphics function library users guide. 1987. Floating point routines. 3D transforms, fonts, fills, pen, pattern, polygons. 

Edited by FarmerPotato
  • Like 6

RG-20 box 12 Data manuals 1986

TMS34061 users guide. 

Did not find in bitsavers 

http://www.bitsavers.org/components/ti/TMS340xx/

Color graphics controller board. 

TMS32011 user’s guide. SPRU010

TMS34070 User’s Guide. SPRU016A. 

TMS380

VLSI systems solutions. Seminar 1986. Slides. covers 320x 340x 380x EPIC advanced CMOS. 9918A appears in history of TI graphics chips. 

• Like 5

RG-20 Box 12 second half. Data manuals 1986. 

Common data books.

34010 font library users guide. Awesome! Bitmap fonts named after cities, most in Texas (Austin, Houston , Luckenbach) various 11 to 50 pixels high. 

6A85BE39-6856-4908-B996-036C57F085AB.thumb.jpeg.ee2d7dec4408519c95477e9ecbc29abc.jpeg

these would be fun to convert to TI. Artist. If the software could be found. 

Geneva-type font called Austin

F122089B-6A88-40A9-9A6E-217388D9EE25.thumb.jpeg.3142ac4cb324d095592601c50c17e78c.jpegBE8B63BB-32E5-47F1-83F7-7742F926E8C5.thumb.jpeg.7a2f4baffced5ac66f085e478742cd1d.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

Speak&Spell folders are together with Laser Guided Bomb. 

E.T. recognized the power of the Speak&Spell.  I bet they know launch codes.

I am interested in the S&S stuff as I have started picking up Speak&Spell, Speak&Math, and Speak&Read devices.

• Like 5

87-56 box 2

Successfully selling the home computer. Neil Love 23 Jan 79. Training program.

Slides scripts. Quizzes. Tests.

picture of 99/4 on cover says Dinension 1.  Has that dimple on top center for? Big volume slider on top of power supply. Command module “Income Tax” inserted. 

Product name indeterminate. (“This exciting new trendsetter is the EPIC 2000 Home Computer from Texas Instruments.*”) jokingly.

11/20/78 saccharine overselling of HC. most features accurate, except wireless remote controllers and 2-merged into keyboard. 

Textual description of the whole Demonstration module, IMHO vastly overselling what you get…

• Like 5

Folder 99/4 marketing internal memos. 

weird memo 3/26/80 Frank Walters. Pascal vs GPL—Identity Challenge. Concerned about consumer confusion when next consoles ship:

99/4 has GPL, optional Pascal adapter

99/3A low end, comes with GPL module, optional Pascal Module

99/4B has GPL and Pascal. (I guess built in)

(“Later 99/4A will complicate matters even more!”)

mentions Pascal command modules. Pascal compiling to GPL. 

weird. 

• Like 4

Still no engineering data for home computer or CC-40. And zero mentions for 99/2 or 99/8. 

my guess is that Lubbock is not archived here—probably nowhere else either. so the archive reflects Austin, Houston, and especially Dallas priorities. 

except for sales and marketing of consumer products. 

A HC distribution plan white paper, looks like parts of the CB Wilson white paper but he’s not involved. 

HC sales training course

HC distribution figures thru May 1980. Dismal. 

Ending the day on this note:

Star Wars watch promotion!!! 1977. TI was really out ahead here in knowing “everybody will be talking about Star Wars. “ Brochures, posters, advertising support for making print and TV ads.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

87-56 box 2

Successfully selling the home computer. Neil Love 23 Jan 79. Training program.

Slides scripts. Quizzes. Tests.

picture of 99/4 on cover says Dinension 1.  Has that dimple on top center for? Big volume slider on top of power supply. Command module “Income Tax” inserted. 

Product name indeterminate. (“This exciting new trendsetter is the EPIC 2000 Home Computer from Texas Instruments.*”) jokingly.

11/20/78 saccharine overselling of HC. most features accurate, except wireless remote controllers and 2-merged into keyboard. 

Textual description of the whole Demonstration module, IMHO vastly overselling what you get…

The dimple on top is where the IR receiver plugs in. Only one of the IR receivers are known to be in the wild, along with one of the handsets (two of which in a frame become the halves of a detached keyboard as well).

The volume slider is for the speaker that's under the grille at the back of the cartridge port.

• Like 2

I’m home now from Dallas.

Tomorrow I can organize  and edit the above posts, which were scrawled hastily. 

I feel elated to have seen many things new to me.

In two days, I searched and read perhaps 1% of the archive. Still, Amanda read 100% of the catalog (it’s complicated), and she pointed out anything home computer related.

We followed up on the leads, and the above posts do list hitherto unknown papers that we found. But for items catalogued as home computer, 3/4 of them turned up well-known books. The only schematic that I found was in the TI-99/4 Technical Data booklet. It is the 99/4 schematic in 6 pages.

*Complicated: 

The Catalog

The original index system is 20 record groups and box number within group. This covers 1930-1984. There is a lot of material from the 1950s.

A second system, of ascending accession numbers, indicate when material was added to the archive. This starts with 1985 (for example 85-56 is box #56 received that year.) These tend to have detailed catalog entries. Some items have migrated from the original system box, to join material in the second system.

Accession number is not publication date!  A box might cover many years of the same kind of material. For instance, when it is folders from one person’s organized file cabinet, or a series of brochures and training manuals.

A spreadsheet indexes both kinds of records, with source, 1-line description, years covered, media type, and so on.

After 1985, the boxes with accession numbers have corresponding short articles, with detailed lists of contents. Two 4” thick binders hold the printouts of these articles. Some are straightforward lists of books or folders. The best articles summarize key topics and events documented in each box and folder. There may be a short personal biography, key quotes, or assessment of why the file is relevant. 

Examples

I did ask for this:

94-12 one folder containing TI-99/4 Technical Data booklet. Shows TI-99/4 schematic in 6 pages. Otherwise common material.

Here are some boxes that I skipped. It's possible there is more in them than the catalog shows.

87-39 Eunice Shannon. Article lists 9900 Family Applications, press release for TMS99000.

92-30 Billy Vonkalow. Info on TI Bug (the logo). 1 folder from DSEG.

92-60 consumer group. brochures, literature, price lists. 80s-90s. 6 boxes.

92-73 article lists 2 ordinary books, on learning BASIC for TI-99/4 and CC-40.

94-13 article lists Ralph Molesworth’ book Introduction to Assembly Language, Steve Davis' Programs for the TI HC.

94-18 article lists 2 folders: 990 assembly language. 15 Nov 82, 9900/99000 assembly language.

2021-01 Peter Ungar. article lists maybe 20 issues of 99er magazine, Enthusiast 99, IUG catalog, some Byte articles.

92-41 article lists hundreds of 990 books: installation, service, and users' manuals.

94-08 manuals 1966-1983: 21 boxes. 960, 980, 990, 200, 700, etc. I see that this range covers some entries above that I skipped.

Databooks

In the older RG-20 system. Sorted by publication date; easy to jump forward or backward. I went through 9 cubic feet, from box 4 (1976) to box 13 (1987).

There were new copies, library copies, personal copies, with a few UK, Italy, Germany, or Spain. (“de la logica TTL”)

In Box 5 I found the 9980A/9981 databook.

In Box 6 I found 9900 Family System Software Development handbook. I looked at some pages on concurrency in 990 Pascal.

From Box 9 I asked for the TMS9650 databook. 

In Box 12.1 I found the TMS34061 manual and Color Graphics Controller Board Users Guide.

In Box 12.2 I found the TSP5220C (formerly TMS) and TSP6100. Among many 320, 340, 370, common data books. The 34010 Font Library users' guide was nice. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1