IGNORED

One-button game collection

atari2600land

After reading a certain thread, I thought of three ideas of a game where you can use one button and nothing else. I thought, "Why not try to make them, and put them all in one collection?" So that is what I'm doing. I have the first one here. It is called "Stak-king" which, I bet you can guess what you do here. I tried to implement some changes from the original game. You only have one block width, and it goes from left to right. To "stak" it, you need to press the button when the box moving left to right over and over again is on top of the previous box. A change I made was when you start on a new level, you can put the box anywhere. My highest score was 20 something. Let me know what you think, and if I should keep going. By the way, I did this with bB instead of assembly because one of the game ideas involves scrolling.

onebutton_2021_06_27.bin

• Like 2

Very cool idea.  This particular game reminds me of Stack Game, which is also quite nice.  Might want to check that out for ideas or ways to differentiate.

I assume this is all playfield graphics?  Feels like it be better to use a sprite for the moving block with the same dimensions a colors so you can get a smoother motion.

I get what you're saying, but the sprite can't be drawn more than once in using bB like it can in assembly.

I worked some more on this and have the beginnings of a bomber pilot game, basically a port of an Odyssey 2 game that uses only the fire button. In case you're unfamiliar with it, the object of the game is to clear the blocks by using missiles to shoot them away. If the heilcopter crashes into one of them, the game ends. The helicopter moves downward a little with each pass by of the boxes. It's supposed to get harder as the game progresses, but I haven't gotten that far yet and I need to go to sleep now. To get to the "Bomber Pilot" game, press the select switch at the "Stak-king" screen.

onebutton_2021_06_27_version2.bas.bin

10 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I get what you're saying, but the sprite can't be drawn more than once in using bB like it can in assembly.

Right, but you wouldn't need to do that.  Just define the missile or the player or whatever so it looks just like a playfield block, and then when you hit the button you redefine the playfield to replace the sprite and move the sprite up a row before the next drawscreen.

I have a problem. I'm working on the Bomber Pilot game and the blocks aren't disappearing like they should. I have this code:

collx=(player1x-13)/4 : colly=player1y/8 : leftblock=collx-2 : rightblock=collx+2

if collision(player1,playfield) && bombdropping=1 then boxeshit=boxeshit+1 : pfhline leftblock colly rightblock off : bombdropping=0 : score=score+1 : sfxtype=2 : sfxtimer=16 : player1y=200

In theory, it SHOULD get rid of the two blocks to the left and right of the block as well as the block(s) it hits, but noooooo:

2021june28_bas.thumb.png.0ec73b7337638455138d326cbaa87938.png

Complete code attached. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

2021june28.bas

Don't ask me how because I don't know, but this seems to have fixed it.

collx=(player1x-13)/4 : colly=player1y/8 : leftblock=collx-1 : rightblock=collx+2

This should get rid of one block to the left and two blocks to the right of where the bomb hit. Since the boxes are made of two pfpixels together, it should always work, but why not the other way? This game has four levels. If you beat the fourth level, it repeats until you die. By the way, I think I finished this game, on to the next one tomorrow. I thought of another idea in case I can't get my original third idea won't work, so there should be at least 3 games in this game.

onebutton_2021_06_28.bin

Another game added. I have 9 bytes left if I choose to go 4k. I'm pretty impressed I was able to fit three games (albeit simple ones) into 4k.

This third one is called "Yum!" It is a simple game. What you do is open the mouth with the fire button to eat the red and blue candies and close the mouth by not pressing the fire button so you don't eat the Brussels Sprouts. The game ends if you eat a Brussels sprout or don't eat a candy. I decided I could simplify the game idea I had (about the cross between Flappy Bird and SMB) so you jump at certain times instead of making the playfield scroll. So there will be a fourth game, and that means this program will be 8k. The program's name is "Press Fire", because that's all you do (well, apart from choosing the game with the select switch.)

press_fire_2021june29.bas.bin

Mr. Noseson is now in the game. He jumps whenever you press fire. I have a question about jumping.

I set the force of Mr. Noseson's legs when he begins jumping (called "antigravity" in the code) at 7. Then when he jumps, I have the force of his legs decrease with each frame by one until it gets to zero, and once it gets to zero (or the player depresses fire), then gravity begins to take hold. Gravity starts at 1 and increases by one every frame until he hits the ground. So my question is: If I want realistic jumping physics, am I doing this correct?

press_fire_2021june30.bas.bin 2021june30.bas

• Like 1

It took a lot longer than I expected, but the boxes are ready to be jumped over. It starts out slow, and at 20 points, 2 slow boxes, then at 50 points, two medium speed boxes, and at >99 points two fast boxes.

Since this took a long time to do, I will start the collision of the boxes tomorrow.

press_fire_2021june30_v2.bas.bin

2021june30_v2.bas.png

Scores update:

• changed the score font. Every number is a different "font", thus making it look cool (er, weird?)
  • Black score=Stac-king, white score = Bomber Pilot, orange score = Yum!, yellow score = Runny Nose. So no more potential "cheating" (saying your score is for, say, bomber pilot when in fact it was stac-king you played. I believe Arenafoot's score, though, I just thought of putting this in the program.)
  • program starts with (C) 2021.

press_fire_2021july2.bas.bin

• Like 2

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Press Fire on tomorrow's (Tue Jul 6, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

After Dark:

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

After a few months, I thought of another game you can play with just the fire button. This also possibly marks the first time someone tried to port a Channel F game to the Atari 2600. The game is Shooting Gallery. I was playing this and thought "Gee, all this game uses is the fire button," which led to this. It's the fifth game in the menu.

You get 99 seconds to shoot as many blue squares as you possibly can. The gun (line) indicates which way the bullet will travel once it is shot. I also changed some colors around. Let me know what you think.

Black score - stac-king

gray score - Bomber Pilot

Green score - Yum!

purple score - Runny Nose

light blue score - Shooting Gallery

press_fire_2021september12.bin

• Like 2

11 hours ago, atari2600land said:

You get 99 seconds to shoot as many blue squares as you possibly can. The gun (line) indicates which way the bullet will travel once it is shot. I also changed some colors around. Let me know what you think.

Nice addition to the line up! The problem is that the player is able to hit about 90% of the targets on their first pass down the screen by continuously shooting, I only missed 5/52 by just holding down the fire button the whole game.

You might want to either make it so you have to press the fire button for each individual shot or penalize the player for missing.

- James

image.thumb.png.29a55f0553ab313f025fb7f6a3990048.png

Added a few things to Shooting Gallery:

• You can no longer hold down the button and have it spew out bullets.
  • Missed shot results in -1 point.
  • Added timer in the game because I doubt it's possible for someone to score more than 99 points. When it gets to 0 the game ends.
  • Different game ending sound

And a few things in Stac-King:

• Found and fixed a bug pertaining to new screen sfx.
  • Made the speed of the last block faster.

press_fire_2021september13.bin

• Like 1

Changed some Shooting Gallery stuff to make it more like the Channel F version.

I made the first number be the number of hits and the second number the number of shots fired.

2021sep14_bas.png.f91e43168d4e0ebe2401a47e1df6d004.png 0095.png.8c3ff9edd1a5a12b87c38c360e9a50cf.png

the one on the left is my version and the one on the right is Channel F. It's still 99 seconds, but not 120 seconds like the Channel F version. Mine doesn't display the timer, though.

press_fire_2021september14.bin

• Like 1