IGNORED

Happy Birthday Atari

BigBen

Indeed.  I've done a lot of stuff with vintage computers, and a lot back when they weren't vintage, they were just NEW!  LOL.  And Atari, in particular more than most of the other companies, were really quite ahead of their time in so many ways.  Too bad that circumstances couldn't have been different / better for them.

40 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

I must be related, it's my birthday today as well :)

Atari, one of the original retro machines..Was nice to be there at the start of the home computer era..

@Mclaneinc Happy birthday! :party: So ya gonna spend the day gaming to celebrate? Perhaps Atari Blast! ?

Atari and birthday cake - now there is a winning combo! :D

What is amazing regarding Atari is the fondness/nostalgia) Atarians have for it. After all, decades on an we still have new groundbreaking games, game ports, coders discovering new ways to push it in the latter and in the demo scene, not to mention amazing hardware/firmware), (U1MB, SIDE3, Sophia1/2, FujiNet to name but few). :grin: The dedication from all involved, most of the time without any hope of any cash out of it, is inspiring - and very much apreciated by mere mortal Atarians like myself. :P

I still can't get over the images and colour I am getting from Rastaconverter out of my A8!

Can't wait to play the up and coming Flob and (when finalised) PoP!).

Happy birthday Atari.

Right  - now to try and get my SIDE3 cart to work with my new U1MB install. (Damn cart port or related must be the issue - I just get a blank screen  :x - another conundrum to ponder).

Edited by Beeblebrox
typos
  • Like 1

Many thanks @Beeblebrox, I'm sure I'll do something gaming related, not sure the waistline will survive any cake :)

But yes, we all do share a great fondness for the machines we love, I still think of the Saturday afternoons in Silica shop in Kent and the days selling Atari gear in Maplin, they were great days when all this stuff was not just new machines but the beginnings of home computers. All the youth take the PS5 as a given, they have no clue / care of how it got to this, we do....And its kind of magical..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Many thanks @Beeblebrox, I'm sure I'll do something gaming related, not sure the waistline will survive any cake :)

But yes, we all do share a great fondness for the machines we love, I still think of the Saturday afternoons in Silica shop in Kent and the days selling Atari gear in Maplin, they were great days when all this stuff was not just new machines but the beginnings of home computers. All the youth take the PS5 as a given, they have no clue / care of how it got to this, we do....And its kind of magical..

@Mclaneinc  How bout this cake - zero cals: 

image.png.5da27dad4ca24532ba849e50b833c3b0.png

Yup - I agree - knowing and appreciating the retro tech does give you a different take on things. TBH being away from the Atari scene for 20+ years, coming back feels like no time has passed in many respects. (Prob mid life crisis kicking in as rather obessively re-living my teens at the mo) :grin:

I have fond memories of perusing the 8 bit game Cassette racks for £2.99 games in my very early teens in late 80's. (A lot of the time those lil screen shots and the game descriptions slightly over promised on the gaming experience they delivered (;)) - but on occasion you got some gems (Blinky's Scary School springs to mind). Mind you I don't miss the cassette loading times. (SpyvsSpy - the amount of times those games crashed between levels! heh heh :grin:)

Ha ha, very few miss the cassette era, well maybe Baktra on here :), Being a bit older ie 60 I was playing with the very first machines ie ZX80's while working (my first job) and cassettes were the flavour of the day and trust me the Atari was so much more reliable than the ZX80's :)

But yeah, it was so nice to get a disk drive and I still get a buzz from hearing a Happy 1050 on warp speed..

11 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

But yeah, it was so nice to get a disk drive and I still get a buzz from hearing a Happy 1050 on warp speed..

Ah the monotonous wirring/grinding sound of a 1050 trying to access a corrupt disc - another sound from my past:P

I am currently enjoying the ultra high speeds of an Sdrive Max loading at hi speed with the U1MB - the difference in speed amazing!

Never had a ZX80. My dad was an Atari nut and I was indoctrinated into all things Atari from an early age - (sounds a bit like cult heh heh!:-o). 

Have a good one.

• Like 1

When I started looking for my computer, it was a close thing between an Acorn Atom and an Atari 800,

I had a 2600 already and even though the 800 was far more expensive I went for it and don't

regret a single moment.

Just think if I'd bought the Atom I would have upgraded to a BBC micro euch!!!.?

I don't know how many of you went on to get an ST after the 800/130XE but I did that too.

I still have all my original machines (plus some extras later from Fleabay :) )

If I could eat cake I would.

• Like 1

Whatever machines you had I'm sure you loved them, I had access to loads of machine because of work but I had a Atari / Commodore thing going, first after the ZX80 was a Vic20, then an Atari, then a C64 and then an Amiga, I had an ST for 1 day (honestly) but didn't get on with it. The machines I always return to, Atari and C64, with sprinkling of Amiga and consoles thrown in.

The Atari will always be my favourite machine, the 800 is just a majestic machine, and what is not to like about being paid to play with the very machines you love so much..

Happy Birthday Atari, I wish the real you was still here...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

"Have you played Atari today." I grew up to that jingle on the TV, Happy birthday Atari! If only Nolan could have kept control and never turned to Warner, he would have been another Bill Gates or Jobs and I think Atari would still be a huge Corp. like Microsoft or Apple today. But would I have turned to Atari for my life-long 8-bit relationship if it weren't for the affordable 130XE? I might be on another 8-bit forum right now. But I too picked the Atari 130XE at the time because it was what I was looking for in a computer in '85 at a third the cost of an Apple IIc and twice the memory of a Commodore 64. But as was said above, I've never regretted it for a day, and in fact thank God and Jack that I didn't end up with an Apple IIc instead. A C64 would have been okay, but I'm still glad I went with the Atari.

YES !!!

...Because, in many ways, it was the "Radio Ga Ga", for many of us...

I sometimes wonder if I would have gotten where I am today, had it not been for that sweet, weekend afternoon... where everything started.

And happy retro-B-Day for all those folks here getting a little "younger" ???

03 Radio Ga Ga pdm16 (L-8) (5_7_4_6) mono 44610Hz ide ntsc.pdm

• Like 3