IGNORED

Timeline of Jaguar price drops

captainblack

Hey friends, I was wondering if there is a known timeline of Jaguar price drops. I know it launched at 250 USD and by 1995 it dropped to 150 to try to compete with PS1, and eventually it ended up going on clearance at 70 bucks when they were trying to liquidate stock, but beyond that I dont know anything else. I wonder if for example it got dropped to 200 when early expectations were not met. 

I saw KB Toys selling Jaguars through the late 90s, must have seen them in 1998 and 1999.  It was kind of weird, my local KB brought a bunch of the Jag stuff out onto the floorspace, carefully arranged it, set up a kiosk with a game running, and it was very visible in the store as if it were a newly released system. It made me curious but I didn't buy at the time since I knew it was a dead system.  Really kind of an odd experience, I can't think of another game console that went through this kind of fake resurgence/promotion in retail stores years after it was dead.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 3

It might have been a little later than that for the $29 ultra clearance. Tiger Direct was selling them with 3 games for $59 or maybe it was around the same time and they were trying to just offload the games with them as well, running different promotions. This was supposedly from 1997 but seems about right:

1997.thumb.JPG.2ba03c8636563e1235826dee09b9b1c4.JPG

• Like 2

A few price-related notes from the ICWhen.com archives, including the original MSRP of the JagCD:

"Tuesday, March 21, 1995, Atari announces a new low price for the 64-bit Jaguar game system of $159.99. The new price is on a system without the CYBERMORPH game cartridge which was packed in Jaguar systems selling between $189 and $249 previously."

"April 1995: Atari Corporation announces hopes to have the CD-ROM peripheral for the 64-bit Jaguar to stores in June for $149."

"May 1995: Atari Corporation reduces the price of the Jaguar core system to $149."

"On the evening of Wednesday, December 13, 1995, a fax is sent to all Atari Rep Firms and Distributors announcing a new low price point of $99 for the Atari Jaguar."

"On Monday, December 23, 1996, JTS of San Jose, a disk drive company, begins releasing pallets of Atari Jaguars to a liquidator (Tiger Software) for $20 each piece and software for $1 each piece. Expectations mount that the units will be bundled and sold at prices intended for expedient sale. Mr. Bob Gleadow, oversees the transaction from JTS’ European office (once known as Atari UK)."

"January 1997: Tiger Software publishes and direct mails Volume VII, Issue 1 of their newest catalog called 1997 PC Yearbook. On the front page and on page 5, they offer an Atari Jaguar video game system at an exclusive price of $59.99 which includes ALIEN VS. PREDATOR, RAIDEN, NBA JAM and CYBERMORPH. Other games and accessories are offered at higher prices. According to some sources, Tiger paid $20 for the consoles and $1 to $5 for software as JTS is very anxious to rid themselves of Atari’s bulging warehouse of goods."

[This sounds very similar to the catalog shown in Post #6.]

• Like 5

I had $250 (plus money for tax) when I bought my Jaguar. When I made it to Software Etc. I discovered the price was only $200 (or $199) so I grabbed Alien vs. Predator also. I want to say I had the money because of my birthday, but the timing seems wrong. Alien vs. Predator was not out in February of 1994, but I cannot believe that I did not get my Jaguar until 1995.

• Like 2

Same here, got it Temptest 2000, around 200 bucks, then got a game a month, kept coming in with choices of AvsP, doom wolf 3d, iron soldier, checkerd flag, Dino dudes, and Raiden.  It went a year with hardly any games coming out.

I remember being told when purchasing by the manager it was a bad buy, then when I got Checkered Flag, that it was a bad game.

I was a regular but I can say that Atari's reputation at that time was bad, never had any feedback on lynx.

Granted Software Etc. Had a crazy 14 day policy play it hate it bring it back, probably alot of returning checkerd flag.

Intresting also Kay Bee didn't carry Jaguar in its initial launch, only carried it durring liquidation.

Kay bee did carry 2600/7800 up thru early 90s, also showed support for Lynx.

I had a Jaguar before liquidation but built out my original collection after game prices fell. Sold all of that in 1998. When I decided to get a Jaguar again, I picked up a new Power Kit for $25. Had to be 2001-2002.

Interestingly, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator, $250 in December 1993 has the same buying power as $461 today. Can anyone buy a new Jaguar at that price today? 

15 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

I saw KB Toys selling Jaguars through the late 90s, must have seen them in 1998 and 1999.  It was kind of weird, my local KB brought a bunch of the Jag stuff out onto the floorspace, carefully arranged it, set up a kiosk with a game running, and it was very visible in the store as if it were a newly released system. It made me curious but I didn't buy at the time since I knew it was a dead system.  Really kind of an odd experience, I can't think of another game console that went through this kind of fake resurgence/promotion in retail stores years after it was dead.

That is weird.  I would have assumed that such kiosks are paid for by the manufacturer, or else why would the retailer waste the valuable retail space on it?  Especially for a dead system sold at clearance prices?

• Like 1

I think I paid $159 for my Jag and $49 for the Jag CD. I still have the receipt for the CD player in the box but haven't looked at it in awhile. I remember getting the Team Tap for free because Waldensoft's, which I think came before Gamestop and after Babbages, manager and I were friends and he was getting rid of old inventory and found one. He remembered I had a Jag and gave it to me just to get rid of it. Man I wish I could go back and pick up other titles I passed on. A mom and pop DVD/Video game store around us had Jaguar games and I think I passed on Brutal Sport Football and Power Drive Rally. Wasn't a football fan then and didn't like overhead racers that much. Dumb me!!?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vrocko said:

I think I paid $159 for my Jag and $49 for the Jag CD. I still have the receipt for the CD player in the box but haven't looked at it in awhile. I remember getting the Team Tap for free because Waldensoft's, which I think came before Gamestop and after Babbages, manager and I were friends and he was getting rid of old inventory and found one. He remembered I had a Jag and gave it to me just to get rid of it. Man I wish I could go back and pick up other titles I passed on. A mom and pop DVD/Video game store around us had Jaguar games and I think I passed on Brutal Sport Football and Power Drive Rally. Wasn't a football fan then and didn't like overhead racers that much. Dumb me!!?

I knew Software Etc. sounded wrong. It was a Walden Software where I bought my Jaguar, Jaguar CD, and all my original retail games.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that!

Trends tend to work out in interesting ways.   I could see the Jaguar going through another time of obscurity, and then become valuable as parts fail and few working models are findable.

But anyway, adding to the topic: I bought two of the last three Jaguars in Dallas, TX (actually their Hurst location) at Kaybee Toy Stores in (I want to say the spring of) 1999.   I know it was their last because their head office checked their region inventory and directed me to that store, which was the only location to still have Atari Jaguar systems.   They were on a high shelf behind the register, practically among the lighting, two Jaguars side by side with one stacked on top of both.   And they were DUSTY.  Looked like they had been there for years.   Each system sold for $30.   Bought one for me, another for a friend.   Went back for the third later but it was gone.

Me and my friend still have our systems.

• Like 3

It seems that the price had gradually dropped to $189 by March of 95 before the big drop to 150. Its too bad they didnt have more software support, seems like they were getting a lot right besides that.

Its funny to hear all these clearance sale stories. I was a kid going to game shops in the late 90s so I probably saw a Jag at some point but none of the kids at school talked about Jaguar and I have no memories of it at that time. I didnt even know it existed until I read the Atari wikipedia page around 2005.

Edited by captainblack
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 10:46 AM, zzip said:

That is weird.  I would have assumed that such kiosks are paid for by the manufacturer, or else why would the retailer waste the valuable retail space on it?  Especially for a dead system sold at clearance prices?

For what its worth, I am very sure I played Pitfall on a Jaguar kiosk at the Kaybee toys in my local mall. In fact, it was the only place and time when I ever saw a jaguar kiosk in my entire life.  The store didn't look like other game stores in the mall and my memory of the kiosk and where it was inside the Kaybee store is very vivid, there was literally a pyramid stack of boxed jag consoles next to it on the floor, which ordinarily I'd think would be behind the counter/in a store room or glass case or something if it was a high value item they were concerned about theft on. Kaybee was a very narrow, cramped and small store inside my mall and that made it seem like a total Jag party at that particular Kaybee with the amount of Jag stuff that was out on the floor and highly visible. And I didn't buy any of it! ?

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sirlynxalot said:

For what its worth, I am very sure I played Pitfall on a Jaguar kiosk at the Kaybee toys in my local mall. In fact, it was the only place and time when I ever saw a jaguar kiosk in my entire life.  The store didn't look like other game stores in the mall and my memory of the kiosk and where it was inside the Kaybee store is very vivid, there was literally a pyramid stack of boxed jag consoles next to it on the floor, which ordinarily I'd think would be behind the counter/in a store room or glass case or something if it was a high value item they were concerned about theft on. Kaybee was a very narrow, cramped and small store inside my mall and that made it seem like a total Jag party at that particular Kaybee with the amount of Jag stuff that was out on the floor and highly visible. And I didn't buy any of it! ?

Those Kaybee mall stores were tiny, and I don't ever remember seeing game kiosks there--  it would draw a crowd that would block the customers!    So it's really strange.   Kaybee did seem to sell a lot of clearance videogames though, so maybe they got a big stock of liquidated Jaguar stuff?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zzip said:

Those Kaybee mall stores were tiny, and I don't ever remember seeing game kiosks there--  it would draw a crowd that would block the customers!    So it's really strange.   Kaybee did seem to sell a lot of clearance videogames though, so maybe they got a big stock of liquidated Jaguar stuff?

Yeah I remember ours being tiny too. I don't remember them having Jaguar kiosks though. I do remember in '83 when they liquidated all the Atari 2600, Coleco and Intellivision games. Had three long tables set up in a U with Atari games on one, Coleco on another and Intellivision on the third. Man I miss those days. You could go in with $10 bucks and come out with 10 games. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the Kaybee at my mall had a tiny video game counter where everything was on shelves behind an inaccessible area, so I generally went to Electronics Boutique to ogle stuff instead, and later Funcoland at a lesser local mall since I could afford more stuff there. If I'd been perusing Kaybee when Jaguars were $40 I'm sure I would have bought one on a whim (I was still in high school, but had a little cash in my pocket by the late 90's), but by then I was probably eying a graphics card for my PC or something instead.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 12:22 AM, pacman000 said:

Kay Bees was owned by Big Lots in the 90’s, so their management probably had experience selling close out merchandise.

I mean Kay bee had been a liquidator for years, they would, try it In their mall stores, then send the overstock that wouldn't sell to the Kay bee liquidator stores that were located in the outlet malls.

I mean Kay bee stuck with atari 2600/7800 to the bitter end, as both were still for sale in their stores in early 90s, gave some support to lynx, but Atari had burned them in early 90s. So they were not initially on the Jaguar band wagon, they didn't jump in till the liquidation made them go for it.  Even then, it took them longer then it should of to sell thru inventory for a system no one had and few wanted (in the 90s).

To put in prospective big lots sold thru 7800/2600, in a few weeks maybe 2 months.  Kay bee was still liquidating Jag stock for a year or 2, some bragged 5 years later finding stock in stores.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 8:15 PM, Clint Thompson said:

It might have been a little later than that for the $29 ultra clearance. Tiger Direct was selling them with 3 games for $59 or maybe it was around the same time and they were trying to just offload the games with them as well, running different promotions. This was supposedly from 1997 but seems about right:

1997.thumb.JPG.2ba03c8636563e1235826dee09b9b1c4.JPG

Great screenshot wish I can go back in time and buy a new jag with avp doom etc for just $59