IGNORED

The 39th TI-99/4A Annual Chicago TI International World Faire

Airshack

• 2 months later...

Hal had the following information on the Facebook group:

I finally have some good news to report: About an hour ago I spoke to the library, and they finally, finally agreed to give us the room on October 23. The Chicago TI International World Faire lives!

I know that this is short notice for many of you, but at least it is six weeks and a bit. It was the only date that didn’t conflict with the Northwestern football schedule, when there are no hotel rooms available around here.

That brings me to the next topic: speakers. The Faire is just a gathering of friends, old and new, without people presenting talks and demonstrations. That said, I realize that many of you would like to attend the Faire, but can’t, for a multitude of reasons. However, just like last year, we will accept video demos, and show them as part of the event. I would like to hear from all those who would like to talk. My email address is hals12@hotmail.com and if you send me a message I can call you and discuss the details.

Many things have changed since the last time we met, but the Faire will live to fight another day! —Hal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Yeah. You will never see Al here. For the same reason that TeeSpring yeeted my TI store (blog post forthcoming.)

Just seems weird that there's this long running major TI event in Chicago and nobody from that group posts details here. Google searches yield information about previous events with zero links to the current 39th event? Even the ChicagoTIUG website fails to mention the event?  

Check it out:   http://chicagotiug.sdf.org/

Is this an invitation only deal? Perhaps a secret society? 

Facebook is not the most searchable for information so arguably one of the worst places to post updates for any event unless the Facebook site is dedicated to the event itself.

Edited by Airshack
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airshack said:

Just seems weird that there's this long running major TI event in Chicago and nobody from that group posts details here. Google searches yield information about previous events with zero links to the current 39th event? Even the ChicagoTIUG website fails to mention the event?  

Is this an invitation only deal? Perhaps a secret society? 

Facebook is not the most searchable for information so arguably one of the worst places to post updates for any event unless the Facebook site is dedicated to the event itself.

I'm currently blocked on Facebook, yeah..it's called fb Jail for using my 1st amendment, cuss words. But so far. Fingers crossed, I'm not blocked here. But again, I'm nicer here because good things happen here.

Edited by GDMike
  • Haha 2

Listen guys. My dad (hal) does not have an atariage account. He has posted info to fb where he has access to. The club website is still being updated with current info. Because info is currently changing rapidly because of covid protocols at the event site we are still updating info on the club site. I am the one who will host/ put the the webcast on our YouTube channel of the event and do monitor this website/ forum and see all of the post. I will relay info to the group. The event is still at the Evanston Il public library where it has been for the last few years. I will post a link for people to follow if you want to see the stream when it get closer to the date. Please reach out to my dad @ his email hals12@hotmail.com if you would like to be to present something or for more information directly from the the event coordinator.    Hope to see all at the Ti faire! John. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/27/2021 at 9:00 PM, Airshack said:

When? 

Where?

- October, 23 2021 (~9-5 pm), faire banquet ~6pm (Panera, around the corner) then, the bar crawl location.. tbd

-Main location is:  Evanston IL public library (1703 Orrington Ave, Evanston, IL 60201)

There are Several hotels downtown Evanston Il near the event 

All is welcome. Not an invite only event; event coordinator does do/have atriage; just same old place as the last 15+ years,  but mask this year are required in Illinois :)). Hope to see all at the faire this year, looking forward to the new development :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 5:07 AM, Airshack said:

Website is now updated.

It's still strange to have an International Word Fair in a country that currently does not admit most international travellers.. like me from Germany. 

I will try to join online and perhaps it will be possible to join the 40th in person next year. Any ideas to sell a trip to Chicago to my wife?

@KB9ZQT please ask your dad to announce next years dates as soon as possible next year as international flight tickets are much cheaper when purchased 3 or more months in advance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SteveB said:

It's still strange to have an International Word Fair in a country that currently does not admit most international travellers.. like me from Germany.

These are uncertain times in which we live.

4 hours ago, SteveB said:

@KB9ZQT please ask your dad to announce next years dates as soon as possible next year as international flight tickets are much cheaper when purchased 3 or more months in advance.

In Hal's defense, since the Faire is held in Evanston, a college town, he has to wait until the official Northwestern home game schedule is released, then get a date which does not compete okayed with the library and the group.  Living in a college town I can tell you that home games are very serious, resulting in lodging shortages, higher prices, and the commensurate crowds of people.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SteveB said:

On 9/10/2021 at 10:07 PM, Airshack said:

It's still strange to have an International Word Fair in a country that currently does not admit most international travellers

We also host the “World Series Baseball Championship” where only teams from the US and Canada (with mostly American players)  may participate. It’s the American way.

If someone from Texas shows up the event qualifies as International.

Edited by Airshack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Airshack said:

We also host the “World Series Baseball Championship” where only teams from the US and Canada (with mostly American players)  may participate. It’s the American way.

Well, when you north-americans are the only ones playing this game ... the rest of us is playing Football, which you call Soccer ..  

When it comes to sports, America is an island. Baseball, Football, NASCAR, ... only Basketball and Ice Hockey became really international.

But for a while we had the NFL Europe .. with only German and one Dutch team in the end. Go Frankfurt Galaxy!!! They went. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, the Japanese are even more baseball-crazy than most Americans, so that one did escape the island. . .I just found a simpler personal solution: I ignore all professional sports and pretty much any other level of sport. I will sometimes humor my friends when they are in a game of some kind, but that is about as far as I can push myself to endure the torture of watching a game (or match).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ksarul said:

Well, the Japanese are even more baseball-crazy than most Americans, so that one did escape the island. . .I just found a simpler personal solution: I ignore all professional sports and pretty much any other level of sport. I will sometimes humor my friends when they are in a game of some kind, but that is about as far as I can push myself to endure the torture of watching a game (or match).

How could you not enjoy an exciting game of badminton, or curling??  I find them especially uplifting after championship bowling.  You are simply not living, my friend.

• Haha 4