IGNORED

The 39th TI-99/4A Annual Chicago TI International World Faire

Airshack

• 2 weeks later...

Walid, are you staying at the Hotel Orington for the $115/night?  I saw your post on Heatwave and want to confirm the hotel.

My wife has some mobility issues and this would be her first "faire", so trying to limit her walking as well as making sure she is not bored as well.

Beery

10 hours ago, 9640News said:

Walid, are you staying at the Hotel Orington for the $115/night?  I saw your post on Heatwave and want to confirm the hotel.

My wife has some mobility issues and this would be her first "faire", so trying to limit her walking as well as making sure she is not bored as well.

Beery

Yes that's where I've booked my stay, Thursday to Sunday. When are you planning on arriving?

5 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Ah. I used Trivago

I heard before, and my experience lends to this, that contracts hotels have with these booking services require a certain number of rooms (even if just two or three) be reserved for that service at its advertised rate.  I ran into this during a late-night flight cancellation, in which a hotel local to the airport was fully-booked but I was able to get a room for the same hotel via Hotels.com.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I practically never book directly with a hotel...

I ran into enough problems in the earlier days of booking sites that I don't trust them and prefer the hotel sites directly. We once booked rooms for a bachelor party weekend via Travelocity, and on arrival half of them were smoking rooms and were told "tough". We ended up piling everyone in the non-smoking rooms instead.

3 hours ago, InfiniteTape said:

I ran into enough problems in the earlier days of booking sites that I don't trust them and prefer the hotel sites directly. We once booked rooms for a bachelor party weekend via Travelocity, and on arrival half of them were smoking rooms and were told "tough". We ended up piling everyone in the non-smoking rooms instead.

I'm pretty sure smoking rooms have gone the way of the Dodo, at least in the US :) 

My experience to date has been great, but the key to guaranteeing getting what you requested is to prepay the room rather than wait till check-in at the hotel. And it's usually cheaper that way.

I have booked for Friday and Saturday.  Is there any gathering on Friday? Not looking to push my in to any reunions, but I would like to meet some of the people I've interacted with on this forum.  Also, I'm assuming there is no preregistration required for the fair?

I am all up for some kind of gathering, somewhere.

Perhaps someone should suggest a time/place?

I'm staying at the Hilton Orrington which is across the street from the library.  In the past, a number of us have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn which is bit further away where we went to Chili's at Clark Street and Maple Avenue.  Perhaps there at a specific time?

35 minutes ago, DuaneAL said:

I have booked for Friday and Saturday.  Is there any gathering on Friday? Not looking to push my in to any reunions, but I would like to meet some of the people I've interacted with on this forum.  Also, I'm assuming there is no preregistration required for the fair?

Hal will usually select a place for us to meet on Friday night and catch up over dinner and drinks. Used to be Nevin's but it had closed for renovations, so I'm not sure where it will be this year. I suggest you keep an eye here for announcements. And you are absolutely welcome to join. As a matter of fact, it's a rite of passage! ?  There is no Faire registration. We do meet at the Burger King by the Evanston Library for breakfast around 8am on Saturday before we head over to the Library to start setting up. Looking forward to meeting you.

Edited by Vorticon