IGNORED

576NUC+ is Here!

47 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

You workflow on the Mac is overly complex. Most of the Disk files I use have been downloaded for years. A quick copy to the SD card and I’m ready to go, plus I really have nothing to share that’s not already out there. I would have to set up a local server, and I still may. For now the servers available have plenty of items to look at and play with. 

Sure, to each his own. I am _not_ starting with an archive of ATRs- that is true. I may have some somewhere, but am mostly finding things via the web as I look around.

I suppose after a while I'll have a nice collection up on my TNFS server. But your flow and mine are very different, I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that I just had to wait until the cartridge port is working. I mean, you can't have an Atari 8-bit without a cartridge port. The more I think about it though, I really love the small form factor, and there's really not much available on cartridge  these days that can't be found as an xex. Push comes to shove, I always have one of my original 8-bits or my 1088XEL for cartridge use if I really need it. I'm going to have to pick one of these up eventually.

24 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I thought that I just had to wait until the cartridge port is working. I mean, you can't have an Atari 8-bit without a cartridge port. The more I think about it though, I really love the small form factor, and there's really not much available on cartridge  these days that can't be found as an xex. Push comes to shove, I always have one of my original 8-bits or my 1088XEL for cartridge use if I really need it. I'm going to have to pick one of these up eventually.

I thought that, but Flob is ruining it for me. I want to play this game, and so I really want to get the new FN/Cart tophat when it's released... and a MR.ROBOT case top!

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

You can always upgrade later. @MacRorie is planning to have some kind of fujinet trade-in thing for non-cart fujinets as part of the upgrade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I thought the same thing too but now after using this if I could find a wireless keyboard it would be sitting in my living room as a gaming machine. I may still get the cart upgrade, but I have determined that it’s not necessary. The one upgrade I will be getting is the EXP80 II when it becomes available. 

2 hours ago, mdivancic said:

….if I could find a wireless keyboard it would be sitting in my living room as a gaming machine.

Indeed, I am looking as well for a wireless PS/2 keyboard. But as I don’t know the exact model names as they were sold, it’s difficult to find them.

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2021 at 2:49 PM, massiverobot said:

Tech Question:

Is there any reason why RAMBO and COMPYSHOP use different bits (the last two)? Or just different people/teams at different times? Is there a technical reason they didn't use the same bits of PORTB?

The german developer at the former Compy-Shop company decide to use the 130XE banking scheme as the base for their circuits. So all software using the special modes (ANTIC selects expanded memory OR CPU selects expanded memory OR both!) existing on every stock 130XE would run with their solution. The 130XE has only four banks, but you need sixteen banks to enable 256 KB expanded memory. So the guys at Compy-Shop uses PB6 and PB7 to have four banks easily switchable. This logic was simple to made without any PLD.

Maybe (just my suggestion) because the XE series wasn´t much common in the U.S., the U.S. companies provided memory expansions didn´t implement the XE mode and their products always map the expanded memory for both processors - ANTIC and CPU. So the PB5 bit is used for bank selection. 256 KB "RAMBO" style uses PB2, PB3, PB5 and PB6 for bank selection - what makes the logic circuitry easier than the Compy-Shop way. 512 KB RAMBO needs the same effort (latching PB7).

• Like 3

On 7/20/2021 at 9:39 PM, DrVenkman said:

Mine's still naked. ? 

IMG_0024.jpg

Is this something that is in development? I'm asking because I see a flash memory card in the board. Dont see that in the brewing academy pictures. If it is, will it allow to load programs thru the memory card. If I understand the NUC correctly, currently the only two ways to load sofware is either with tyhe buit in fujunet or the add on SIO board. Am I correct ? Thanks

1 minute ago, IndusGT said:

Is this something that is in development? I'm asking because I see a flash memory card in the board. Dont see that in the brewing academy pictures. If it is, will it allow to load programs thru the memory card. If I understand the NUC correctly, currently the only two ways to load sofware is either with tyhe buit in fujunet or the add on SIO board. Am I correct ? Thanks

It's the SD card slot for the FujiNet board.

-Thom

• Like 1

Just to clarify...

• The base model 576NUC+ board without any accessories can only load software via SIO.
  • The FujiNet only accessory daughter board adds the capability to load software via WiFi, Bluetooth, or an SD card.
  • The Fujinet+CART accessory daughter board adds a cartridge port to the FujiNet capabilities previously listed.

There is no PBI/ECI.

Unless you always plan to have a PC tethered to your NUC, I highly recommend that one of the FujiNet daughter boards be included.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mytek said:

Just to clarify...

• The base model 576NUC+ board without any accessories can only load software via SIO.
  • The FujiNet only accessory daughter board adds the capability to load software via WiFi, Bluetooth, or an SD card.
  • The Fujinet+CART accessory daughter board adds a cartridge port to the FujiNet capabilities previously listed.

There is no PBI/ECI.

Unless you always plan to have a PC tethered to your NUC, I highly recommend that one of the FujiNet daughter boards be included.

MyTek, I ordered the NUC with the standard SIO adapter and planned to use my existing FujiNet carts with it until the FujiNet+Cart accessory daughter board is available.  Are you telling me that won't work?  thanks

1 hour ago, rkindig said:

MyTek, I ordered the NUC with the standard SIO adapter and planned to use my existing FujiNet carts with it until the FujiNet+Cart accessory daughter board is available.  Are you telling me that won't work?  thanks

How did you get that impression ?

Now I'm confused ???

Edit: A standard FujiNet Cart will work because, it is A) not an actual Cart, and B) although shaped like a Cart it is actually an SIO device. So assuming you have the SIO2Dsub adapter for the NUC, it should plug right in and work. I believe this is the way @DrVenkman used his until such time that he got the FujiNet daughter board.

Edited by mytek
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Indeed. A standard stand-alone plug-in FujiNet will work just fine. :)

IMG_5769.JPG

I may be the only person wanting to do the opposite.  When I remove my internal Fujinet from the 576 so I can build / install the one with cart port, I am wondering if I can use it standalone.  Would be a shame to have it go to waste.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I may be the only person wanting to do the opposite.  When I remove my internal Fujinet from the 576 so I can build / install the one with cart port, I am wondering if I can use it standalone.  Would be a shame to have it go to waste.

Yep, just wire an SIO plug to the header, it should work fine.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mytek said:

Just to clarify...

There is no PBI/ECI.

That's what I was looking for, thanks

• Like 1