IGNORED

Going Back in Time...

DavidMil

8mm video reel.  My dad took alot of film of family back in the 70's/early 80's with one.  Like 2.5 mins of film per roll.  I bought a projector and converted all my old videos by pointed a camcorder at the screen and playing the videos.  Blast from the past :)

8 hours ago, Goochman said:

8mm video reel.  My dad took alot of film of family back in the 70's/early 80's with one.  Like 2.5 mins of film per roll.  I bought a projector and converted all my old videos by pointed a camcorder at the screen and playing the videos.  Blast from the past :)

Only problem with 8 mm is that this reel is 36mm wide.  I used to have a lot of 8mm moves too.  I have no idea what ever happened to them.

All good answers here!  I'll add one.  This could be a good device to to sell to the CIA.  Imagine using this as a device to question prisoners.

Put that up the prisoners nose and start twisting.  I'll talk, I'll talk!!!

I was going to suggest it's an old reel for splicing tape for repairing/editing old movie reels, as I had a job as a projectionist while I was in college.

But looking closer I see that it is only the shadow of the white insulated wire, or whatever it is, that I'm seeing and not a slight side perspective of splicing tape.

Edited by Gunstar

13 hours ago, ClausB said:

I grew up on point-to-point soldering. One boss made me wire wrap a prototype board. That was my first time... and my last!

I once had to go into a machine in the plant that I worked in and solder all the wire wraps as vibration in the system had caused them to start getting loose causing intermittent problems.  There were hundreds of them.

The soldering solved all of the problems we had with that system...

• Like 1

A few years ago, Curt Vendel posted photos of his wire-wrapped 520ST prototype he had found when he was doing his dumpster-diving and hard-core collecting thing back in the early 90’s. IIRC, he was holding the board and posing with Leonard Tramiel in more recent years. And Landon Dyer’s long-time blog Dadhacker has some great stories about the anguish and frustration of bringing those first wire wrap boards up and trying to get them to run for more than a couple minutes while they worked on driver firmware for the disk drive and bootstrapping the OS … Ugh. :)

To this day, when I do RAM (or other) upgrades, I will still wrap a couple of turns around a lifted IC leg before soldering.  It makes

it so much easier to keep the wire on the IC leg!  As my hands have stared to shake more, this has become a much better way to

do the upgrades.

David 

• Like 1

I remember Vero, they did prototyping strip boards etc..Sure we sold a lot of their gear..

We also sold wire wrapping pens and obviously wire wrapping wire and IC sockets but none of it looked like the picture (as far as I remember).

Edited by Mclaneinc

I still remember debugging a board that turned out to have a broken wire-wrap wire right at the first turn (so it looked OK).  And, of course, it was the bottom wire, with a couple more wrapped above it on the pin.  It was really tricky to find as everything looked correct when tracing out all of the wires.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:12 PM, bob1200xl said:

30 ga. Kynar wire used to wire-wrap circuits. Spent many a midnite wrapping in changes and fixes to wire-wrap boards.

Used electric guns, of course. Wire came pre-stripped in every length by 1/2 inch.

Bob

yes it is for wire wrapping.. but it seems to work only well with square shaped pins. the wire bites onto the square edges of the pins and those pins are extra long to wrap more than one signal on them.

No I don't have a punch-card as a bookmark!