IGNORED

Jaguar Serial Interface

GrahamN

Is there an easy way to add a serial connection to a Jaguar? I've managed to get hold of a Jaguar diagnostic cartridge, but need a way to connect a terminal to the Jaguar to use it. I've been looking for the official interface, but with no joy and wondered if anyone had any information of an alternative.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, GrahamN said:

Is there an easy way to add a serial connection to a Jaguar? I've managed to get hold of a Jaguar diagnostic cartridge, but need a way to connect a terminal to the Jaguar to use it. I've been looking for the official interface, but with no joy and wondered if anyone had any information of an alternative.

The catbox has a RS232 and RJ11 CatNet communication ports.

You can use a JagLink:

Another option is using a 5 volts TTL USB-to-serial adapter, such as FTDI TTL-232R-5V, and connecting it directly to the DSP port pins (connect GND to one of the GND pins, RXD to UART_TXD, and TXD to UART_RXD):

dsp_port.png

Here's a suitable connector:

https://www.digikey.fr/product-detail/fr/EBC06DCWN/S3293-ND/927245

Edited by Zerosquare

Yes, I use the JagLink with the RJ-11 to db-9 adapter. It works great as long as your PC still has a serial port on it.

I have used it with both the standard diag cart the jagcd diag cart/disc.

Mitch

Thank you - I should have thought of that! I actually use exactly the same idea to bring out a serial port on the Amiga CD32 (or actually a USB port after conversion), so all I need is an edge connector which I can get easily.

Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - thanks for the advice. I got the serial interface working and was able to run the diagnostic cartridge fine on my working Jaguar. When I tried it on a faulty Jaguar (red screen), it did nothing, not even take over the startup sequence, I just got the same result as without the cartridge (nothing on the serial terminal, Jaguar logo with red screen on the monitor). I have already replaced the cartridge connector and the buffer chips - can anyone hep with any advice as to what I try next?

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Have you checked the continuity between the cartridge connector and the rest of the system? A track could be broken somewhere on the PCB.

- If you have the JagCD Memory Track cartridge, try it. It uses fewer address and data lines than regular carts, so if it works, it means the problem is in the higher address or data bits.

I'm intrigued.

I do have a PC with a parallel port, but it's packed away and will take some time to get out and set up (maybe a week). I'm pretty sure it has MSDOS 6.22 installed, but I may be able to find a Windows95 CD - but the PC doesn't have a CDROM or USB, so it may be a bit tricky getting it installed. 

Since your Jaguar is displaying the boot logo, it's at least partially functional. The idea would be to install the BJL mod:

http://mdgames.de/bjlmod.htm

It would allow running code on your Jaguar without relying on the cartridge port. For example, you could run a cartridge dumping tool, then compare the result with a known good dump. That way, it would be possible to figure out if one of the address or data lines is not working properly.