IGNORED

Current: Atari 576 NUC Quick Reference Guide

On 7/29/2021 at 6:51 PM, bcombee said:

I just got my 576NUC+ from The Brewing Academy today and wanted to post a public thank you for this manual.  I found it very easy to get around the system, in large part thanks to your work, @massiverobot.

Thank you! It's praise like this that motivates me to contribute things like this to the community. I'm going to work on improving it- looking forward to the CART passthru FujiNet that is working it's way towards TBA production! I can't wait.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 6:51 PM, bcombee said:

I just got my 576NUC+ from The Brewing Academy today and wanted to post a public thank you for this manual.  I found it very easy to get around the system, in large part thanks to your work, @massiverobot.

You are welcome, I'm happy that people find this useful. The NUC is an amazing device at a nice price point (esp considering Ebay pricing) and I hope the Guide continues to help new people.

I'm looking to expand and create a whole new "FujiNet: The Missing Manual Guide" to help all users with FN, as there is again, so much to do with FN it would be nice to collect it all together in one place.

I'm anxiously waiting for the 576NUC + CART and will add that into the Guide as soon as it becomes available and I can get one!

59 minutes ago, massiverobot said:

You are welcome, I'm happy that people find this useful. The NUC is an amazing device at a nice price point (esp considering Ebay pricing) and I hope the Guide continues to help new people.

I'm looking to expand and create a whole new "FujiNet: The Missing Manual Guide" to help all users with FN, as there is again, so much to do with FN it would be nice to collect it all together in one place.

I'm anxiously waiting for the 576NUC + CART and will add that into the Guide as soon as it becomes available and I can get one!

Be happy to help with said manual, if needed. PM me if you'd like to coordinate.

Great guide, thanks! Interestingly there seem to be different versions of the firmware, my 576NUC+ from the Brewing Factory has normal Basic on Alt-1, Assembler/Editor on Alt-2, Galaxian on Alt-3 and Star Raiders on Alt-4. Do you know if the language slots are flashable? I would like to have Altirra Basic rather than Assembler/Editor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dinadan67 said:

Great guide, thanks! Interestingly there seem to be different versions of the firmware, my 576NUC+ from the Brewing Factory has normal Basic on Alt-1, Assembler/Editor on Alt-2, Galaxian on Alt-3 and Star Raiders on Alt-4. Do you know if the language slots are flashable? I would like to have Altirra Basic rather than Assembler/Editor.

I want your rom ;). Mine is Altair Basic on Slot 1,  Atari Basic on Slot 2 and PacMan slot 3 and Star Raiders slot 4.  They are not flashable as such, my understanding is you have to pull the rom and program it.  Marilin is on vacation but I would reach out to him,  I'm sure they can work it out. 

I love PackMan but I'm a bigger fan of Galaxian.

My rig running PacMan - 

1247312310_IMG_77572.thumb.jpg.5cf536d576ecf8af48a4154e950b78c0.jpg

Thank you

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

Ok, I had the same issue. You accidently have a pre-prod ROM. You will want to contact TBA/Marlin and he will send you the Prod rom (which matches my Guide).

I understand programming (not flashing) your own ROM is possible, but you need all the pieces of it together and then a flasher. AFAIK, it's not a easy process and perhaps someone like Dr. Venkman or @mytek could explain better.

Marlin sent me the correct ROM, and it took just a moment to swap them out.

Edited by massiverobot

Please let me know if anyone has any issues printing the current Guide out (any missing images in your print outs?) or if you find the resolution of the images to be too low. I'm playing with the compression settings and trying to reduce the size of the Guide without impacting it's usability.

Some users have had issues in printing - some of the images don't appear on paper. I have tested on OSX and Linux and I cannot reproduce. So if you encounter any issues in printing please let me know here, and what system you are using and the exact program you use to print out the Guide.

thanks!

I'd guess that reprogramming the EPROM to change the selections would require 8K images, since that's what both BASIC versions, Pac-Man, and Star Raiders all use.  Looking through the list of other 8K ROMs, I'd probably swap Pac-Man for Zenji, one of my all-time favorites, although perhaps one of the terminal carts would be useful for talking to FujiNet for CP/M mode.

7 hours ago, bcombee said:

I'd guess that reprogramming the EPROM to change the selections would require 8K images, since that's what both BASIC versions, Pac-Man, and Star Raiders all use.  Looking through the list of other 8K ROMs, I'd probably swap Pac-Man for Zenji, one of my all-time favorites, although perhaps one of the terminal carts would be useful for talking to FujiNet for CP/M mode.

You can probably imagine how everyone's choice could be different.  So that's why I went with two built-in games that I felt were iconic either in the original time period, or were significant to helping launch Atari's first personal computers (e.g., Star Raiders). In reality you can use FujiNet to play whatever you want, the built-ins are just extras that are always available.

Yes all slots are 8K in size.

Eventually I'm looking at making a utility version ROM, which will likely have the Assembler/Editor and either a disk editor or perhaps a terminal as you suggested in those game slots. However it will require an update to the onboard TK firmware to have them work properly in this role with FujiNet.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 7:54 AM, massiverobot said:

I understand programming (not flashing) your own ROM is possible, but you need all the pieces of it together and then a flasher. AFAIK, it's not a easy process and perhaps someone like Dr. Venkman or @mytek could explain better.

During the development/testing phase, I flashed my ROM several times with different versions as @mytek put them together, and as @Stephen worked on the “rainbow logo” screen. I use 27SF512 chips which are EEPROMs and can be easily written, erased and reprogrammed in seconds. Very handy during development. I don’t know which chips Marlin is using in production, but I would expect them to be standard EPROMs (not EEPROMs) and thus would need to be cleared with a UV light and then reprogrammed.

At one point I realized I was using an older version of Altirra BASIC (1.55 or 1.56, I think), and I wanted to use 1.57. I used a Windows hex editor to cut out the existing Altirra BASIC from the image and replace it with the newer version, then programmed my OS ROM with my TL8666 II Plus programmer. Not particularly complicated once you know how to use your hex editor and EPROM/EEPROM burner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bee said:

@DrVenkmanwhat OS are you burning the roms from? I found the TL8666 II Plus programmer available in norCal for reasonable price.  I found new EEProms for $9 in a car site.  I may need to take a swing at this.

Thank you

My post referred to stuff that I was doing during the project development and beta testing. I was using ROM file created by Mytek and Stephen, and editing them with a hex editor to replace segments (e.g., an older version of Altirra BASIC with newer one).

If you decide to do something similar, you should be able to remove the OS ROM from your NUC+, read it with your EPROM burner and save it as a backup, the rearrange things to your heart's content with your hex editor before writing them back to an EPROM or EEPROM. 

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

My post referred to stuff that I was doing during the project development and beta testing. I was using ROM file created by Mytek and Stephen, and editing them with a hex editor to replace segments (e.g., an older version of Altirra BASIC with newer one).

If you decide to do something similar, you should be able to remove the OS ROM from your NUC+, read it with your EPROM burner and save it as a backup, the rearrange things to your heart's content with your hex editor before writing them back to an EPROM or EEPROM. 

DrVankman, may I ask, what EPROM burner/software do you use?

Word of warning. The present version of the TKNUC firmware which is also the system controller, won't properly support language cart images in the Game Slots. It'll run them, but then when launching something from FujiNet that requires the language be present it will not execute properly. i am working on and testing a new version of firmware that will fix this, but I'm not ready to release that yet.

Also be aware that the OS really needs to be some flavor of the XEGS OS in order for all the Slots to be properly recognized, so if for instance you were to replace one of the two OS images with lets say OSB, you'll lose at least one Game Slot. And currently only the first OS selection has HSIO and the Fast Math pack inclusive, with the other being a completely stock XEGS OS. This was done since not all games liked loading under the HSIO version.  So for instance when starting in Altirra Basic (press ALT+1), you are running with HSIO and the Fast Math pack present. However when running with Basic Rev C (ALT+2), you are in a stock XEGS OS at normal SIO speeds.

And for running without Basic...

ALT+~ = HSIO + Fast Pack OS

CTRL+ALT+~ = Stock XEGS OS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/9/2023 at 7:33 PM, Ray Gillman said:

I'm curious what this is and what can it do out of the box?  Looks like someone could build them and sell them ready to go for people who want more Atari stuff but not wanting a soldering project 

There is lots of info about what it is on the first page of the Document I wrote. It's a full Atari 8bit computer- XEGS - in a small form factor size. It has many of the mytek add-ons implemented- ps/2 keyboard, vgate video, RAM expansion (576k)  and you can order it with a build-in FujiNet for direct Internet access.

Out of the box it can do whatever an Atari 8bit can do. Just connect it to a FujiNet or a 1050 drive.

Building one will be 100% impossible unless you have the donor chips already from a XEGS to populate the board. It uses the actual VSLI chips from a real Atari.

I'm not sure if all the gerbers were released as it was to be built (and supported) exclusively by https://thebrewingacademy.com/.

• Like 1