Sauron

Ars Technica article on Amico

I'd be hesitant to say that there's a handheld revival entirely on the basis of the Switch. It's a hybrid device after all, and I'm not so sure it would have been as successful without the ability to pull double duty as a living room console. There's obviously the Switch Lite, as a pure handheld, but that could mostly be seen as a nod to the Animal Crossing and Pokemon crowds who were the ones who kept the 3DS going.

Much the same goes for the Steam Deck. It's an interesting device more because you get to take your existing PC games library with you rather than any new experiences it can offer on its own. Also, every PC gaming handheld so far comes with a boatload of compromises that you've got to suck up and I'd be surprised if it's much better on the ergonomics side, even if it's offering considerably more performance for the price.

Meanwhile, neither Sony nor Microsoft seem to want to get back into the handheld space, except via streaming mostly to other manufacturer's devices. I can't say I blame them.

Posted (edited)

I don't they think they want Amico games to be reviewed only in single player mode.

Edited by mr_me
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Semi related. Ars Technica posted a great article about hands on impressions with the Playdate. I would like to see Amico branch out and do something similar.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/07/playdate-preview-you-wont-believe-how-fun-this-dorky-179-game-system-is/

Agreed.  It could really help turn back the tide a bit towards IE and the Amico's favor.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Much the same goes for the Steam Deck. It's an interesting device more because you get to take your existing PC games library with you rather than any new experiences it can offer on its own. Also, every PC gaming handheld so far comes with a boatload of compromises that you've got to suck up and I'd be surprised if it's much better on the ergonomics side, even if it's offering considerably more performance for the price.

I agree, reality hasn't set in on the Steam Deck yet,  but still it has excited a lot of people in a world where laptops already exist, which already allow you to take your gaming on the road.

11 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Meanwhile, neither Sony nor Microsoft seem to want to get back into the handheld space, except via streaming mostly to other manufacturer's devices. I can't say I blame them.

I'm sure Sony is skittish after the Vita.   But I wonder if they did something like a PS4 handheld rather than a device with its own library, if that could be major hit?

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

I don't they think they want Amico games to be reviewed only in single player mode.

If you read the article you would know the writer took it and showed/shared the Playdate with others. People don't live in a vacuum. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

If you read the article you would know the writer took it and showed/shared the Playdate with others. People don't live in a vacuum. 

It’s clear Amico folks only want the most conducive environment for their demos or test units.

Unless they send a unit, Tom and some shills…it ain’t happening there Beffy bud.

And for the record, I doubt ARS T will be getting anything anytime soon from INTV 😂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Semi related. Ars Technica posted a great article about hands on impressions with the Playdate. I would like to see Amico branch out and do something similar.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/07/playdate-preview-you-wont-believe-how-fun-this-dorky-179-game-system-is/

Informative article.  I am leaning towards pre ordering this for sure- I think my daughter would love some of these games.  I think having a back light would be nice, but I appreciate how open Playdate has been about what their system can and can't do.  I think the season pass idea is great (maybe Amico can steal it). I am on board for "bite sized point and clicks" as defined in the article- still my favorite genre :)  Also the surfing game looks like a nice update to the California Games version, which I still play on Evercade all the time.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MarioMan88 said:

It’s clear Amico folks only want the most conducive environment for their demos or test units.

Unless they send a unit, Tom and some shills…it ain’t happening there Beffy bud.

And for the record, I doubt ARS T will be getting anything anytime soon from INTV 😂

Yeah, if the unit was as supposedly "done" as has been claimed by the Amico team, they could at least send out review units to third-party reviewers.  Not people at events having their hands held by the Amico staff.  Not YouTubers working with Amico currently or in the recent past.  Amico should be ready for full reviews and tear downs by the likes of IGN, Tom's, and yes, Ars.

Clearly, they're NOT ready.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jerseystyle said:

Informative article.  I am leaning towards pre ordering this for sure- I think my daughter would love some of these games.  I think having a back light would be nice, but I appreciate how open Playdate has been about what their system can and can't do.  I think the season pass idea is great (maybe Amico can steal it). I am on board for "bite sized point and clicks" as defined in the article- still my favorite genre :)  Also the surfing game looks like a nice update to the California Games version, which I still play on Evercade all the time.

It quirky, cool and price point is spot on…I’m excited about picking one up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarioMan88 said:

…it ain’t happening there Beffy bud.

I'm guessing the Beffy is a more prestigious award than winning a Biffy?

🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

🤣

Not everyone can be the first person in history to talk about video games on camera!

Sometimes, you gotta settle for the bronze, man.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

🤣

Haha my mistake could lead to the first annual Beffy Awards!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MarioMan88 said:

price point is spot on

180USD for a hipster take on a handheld is "spot on"? We really live in interesting times :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, youxia said:

180USD for a hipster take on a handheld is "spot on"? We really live in interesting times :)

They ain’t asking $299 for the wood grain model 😉

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The woodgrain Amico is $280.

Not for me…I got in on Founders and it’s $299..unless you wanna chip in some 😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

That's a bundle that includes a $50 gift card and extras.  It makes your woodgrain amico less than $250.   I could give you $25 for the gift card and the extras.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, mr_me said:

That's a bundle that includes a $50 gift card and extras.  It makes your woodgrain amico less than $250.   I could give you $25 for the gift card and the extras.

I’ll passs…maybe eBay will pony up little more 😁

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Yeah, if the unit was as supposedly "done" as has been claimed by the Amico team, they could at least send out review units to third-party reviewers.  Not people at events having their hands held by the Amico staff.  Not YouTubers working with Amico currently or in the recent past.  Amico should be ready for full reviews and tear downs by the likes of IGN, Tom's, and yes, Ars.

Clearly, they're NOT ready.

I still think they should do the event type stuff. If it can't stand on it's own from an independent third party then that is a problem. Other casual consoles like the Wii could so it being more casual isn't an excuse to not give it to them. I agree that it is more they aren't ready.

I understand they want to make sure of the local multiplayer, but that is why you communicate with those places saying, yes you can play it solo but really shines from multiplayer. If it isn't ready for prime time then I get it then. Which it sounds like new motion controls aren't complete so you want to be able for them to play Cornhole.

On 7/6/2021 at 5:15 PM, MrBeefy said:

I would imagine not passing certs and having to redesign could really put a damper on things.

Has anyone heard of an update to Amiga dispute over the name Amico?

I apologize for responding to this late. I believe the following link will bring you up to date:

Summary as of July 27, 2021

• Thanks 1

Here's a really great and in depth interview explaining some of the misinformation from the original Ars Technica article.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/07/feature_intellivisions_tommy_tallarico_wants_to_follow_in_nintendos_footsteps_but_will_he_get_his_chance

Also important to note that certain parts of the Ars Technica article have now been updated and do not contain certain materials or previous links to web.archive, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Here's a really great and in depth interview explaining some of the misinformation from the original Ars Technica article.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/07/feature_intellivisions_tommy_tallarico_wants_to_follow_in_nintendos_footsteps_but_will_he_get_his_chance

Also important to note that certain parts of the Ars Technica article have now been updated and do not contain certain materials or previous links to web.archive, etc.

Also dont forget to read the comments on this article to get an insight in what the general public thinks about the Amico!

Edited by Yarzzz

58 minutes ago, Yarzzz said:

Also dont forget to read the comments on this article to get an insight in what the general public thinks about the Amico!

Yeah... I suppose there are probably a bunch of negative comments considering the context of the article and the misinformation given.

But I believe what you forgot to mention is to also not forget to read the thousands upon thousands of positive comments that people from around the world leave on all of our YouTube videos to get a REAL insight in what the general public thinks about the Amico.  Those count as well correct?  Or do those get ignored because they don't match a certain narrative?

Link:  https://www.youtube.com/c/Intellivision/videos

Here are some of my favorites.  4 videos with about 2,000 or so comments.  After you've had a chance to read them let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Nintendolife “article” was just verbatim cut and paste email answers from the company president, adding little analysis of its own. It didn’t refute anything substantial from the Ars Technica report. 

Where I come from, commercial speech intended to sell a service or product is called advertising. That’s not content, and it’s certainly not journalism. 

• Like 8