Sauron

Ars Technica article on Amico

The negative comments offer an insight as real as the positive ones from your channel. I'm sorry, but not everyone is a "hater" who follows a "certain narrative". There really is no grand anti-Amico conspiracy out there. For sure, there are some dedicated, sad individuals who really are trolling you, but they are largely irrelevant, contained to their little utube channels nobody cares about. Big outlets such as Ars Technica have mainly neutral (or at least indifferent to Amico) userbase, and these are the sort of comments I see often elsewhere too, eg on news aggregators such as N4G.

Perhaps these sort of comments are even more revealing than people who sub to a dedicated product channel (most likely having their mind made up already).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Yeah... I suppose there are probably a bunch of negative comments considering the context of the article and the misinformation given.

But I believe what you forgot to mention is to also not forget to read the thousands upon thousands of positive comments that people from around the world leave on all of our YouTube videos to get a REAL insight in what the general public thinks about the Amico.  Those count as well correct?  Or do those get ignored because they don't match a certain narrative?

Link:  https://www.youtube.com/c/Intellivision/videos

Here are some of my favorites.  4 videos with about 2,000 or so comments.  After you've had a chance to read them let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

It would be helpful if you would specify which parts of the article you are considering "misinformation".

I believe quoting the article for that

purpose would be considered fair use and within your rights.

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, youxia said:

Perhaps these sort of comments are even more revealing than people who sub to a dedicated product channel (most likely having their mind made up already).

Of course. Its hard to trust the opinion of people who has money invested on this thing, and also those whose entire Internet presence its built around the Amico.

• Like 2

Just now, Yarzzz said:

Of course. Its hard to trust the opinion of people who has money invested on this thing, and also those whose entire Internet presence its built around the Amico.

Great point here and this is a very massive underlying issue for sure that I can not go into detail about as I will try not to over agitate the onlookers.

• Thanks 1

There are plenty of positive feedback from youtubers that can't be classified as having their "internet presence based on Amico".  The Original Next Level Gaming youtube channel and the Level 857 guys are a couple of examples.

IE needs to get devices out to places like Ars. There needs to be real hands on experiences not hand picked by the company for hands on impressions or company representatives hovering over them. This is a great Ars article about Playdate.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/07/playdate-preview-you-wont-believe-how-fun-this-dorky-179-game-system-is/

It is great hands on impressions from someone who isn't trying to sell me the console. Playdate did a great job with this and I think that is why they sold so many units. Fluff pieces like Nintendolife don't give me a sense of how the product is.

We are coming up on the year anniversary of the initial launch date. They might not be able to mass product but they should have some review units out to these places. I feel like it is time for articles that can actually give me insight as to what to expect, not regurgitating the same thing being said for years with little to back it up. I know

Nick said he wanted to make sure people could play it in groups. If you read the Playdate Ars article you will see how Sam M took it to show off to friends. It can be done so I don't get why IE can't/won't do it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, godslabrat said:

It would be helpful if you would specify which parts of the article you are considering "misinformation".

Please make sure to read my original post and the NintendoLife article.  It goes into detail as to the info you are looking for.

Thanks.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

The Nintendolife “article” was just verbatim cut and paste email answers from the company president, adding little analysis of its own.

This statement is incorrect.

It didn’t refute anything substantial from the Ars Technica report. 

This statement is incorrect.

Where I come from, commercial speech intended to sell a service or product is called advertising. That’s not content, and it’s certainly not journalism. 

The journalist Damien McFerran is a well seasoned and well respected games journalist with over 20 years of experience.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/DamienMcFerran/

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Please make sure to read my original post and the NintendoLife article.  It goes into detail as to the info you are looking for.

Thanks.

I'm going to disagree there.  I've read both and have no indication as to how the AT article is inaccurate.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

I'm going to disagree there.  I've read both and have no indication as to how the AT article is inaccurate.

It's there in black and white.  Sorry I couldn't help you more.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

It's there in black and white.  Sorry I couldn't help you more.

Again, I disagree.  If you're saying the article contains "misinformation", it's fair to ask you to be specific.  You aren't shy about repeating other information about the Amico project, this is certainly worth clarifying.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'll cut Damo a little slack. He can't go at every interview like he's the Spanish Inquisition, otherwise people are going to stop talking to him. The games industry is like that.

That said, there are some choice comments on the article:

'How did I end up on amicolife.com?'

'I think Damien forgot to add: PAID SPONSORSHIP'

'Jeez, talk about a fluff piece. This is one of the largest articles I've ever seen on NL. Kinda gross. Sorry but the Amico is in serious trouble.'

'It sounds better than the Coleco Chameleon, but that's not saying much.'

Yeah, I know, never read the comments. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I read both the NL and ArsT articles and don't really see what is inaccurate about the ars article either. Also having read Ars for quite a few years, Sam is a pretty well respected journalist as well so not sure why Damien's credentials matter more over Sam's.

It's sorta silly to just respond "It's there in black and white", can't you just state what is inaccurate at least? Would be more helpful to us who actually are interested in this kind of stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Bet this thread don’t last much longer. Entirely too much opposition and well, it’s not painting Amico in a “fun” light.

Bets on it lasting throughout the week?

😁

Edited by MarioMan88
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Here are some mistakes and misinformation in the Ars Technica article.

"Creators compare the $250 ... console's power to a chip from a $100 2016 smartphone." 
They did suggest to use it as a benchmark for development back before dev kits became available but the fact is the Amico has a newer (2018) and more powerful chip with more than double the graphics power in GFLOPS.  That other chip doesn't even match the clock speed posted on the official Amico tech spec page.  The chip reported to be in the Amico can be found in current Lenovo devices that cost more than an Amico.  The correct chip is mentioned in the article, so the writer knows that this statement at the top of the article is misleading.

"Since its announcement as a crowdfunded game console in 2018, ..." 
It was not announced as crowdfunded, that didn't happen.

"full-price preorders" with a link to the Gamestop Amico page.  My understanding is Gamestop takes deposits as low as $5, you can pay in full but describing it like this is misleading.

"... videos mostly originate from Intellivision and a few hand-picked fan YouTube channels."..."these videos leave us with question marks about dev kits and other potentially inauthentic presentations. " 
Assuming the question with dev kits are that they may not be the same hardware spec as an Amico.  That's not the case with Amico dev kits so no question mark with that and no evidence to suggest the presentation at the Texas event was inauthentic.  The article was written after the event in Texas, where some fans recorded and posted videos of the first public play of the Amico, as did Brett Weiss.  Being invited to the event does not make the videos of the event inauthentic and does not make the presentation of the Amico inauthentic.  Brett Weiss is not part of a conspiracy to present a non working Amico as working.  People played the Amico at the event, suggesting otherwise is wrong.

"... the device can also integrate content on an LCD screen embedded in every controller.  However the E3 video cuts and pans so much that we can't tell if the Amico controllers are legitimately interacting with the nearby TV set." 
Again, suggesting the system doesn't work, with no evidence.

The writer describes the game design graphics as "mostly flat". 
Most Amico games are not flat graphics design, a few are but the vast majority are not.

"... some revealed games appear to run at 60 fps, but we haven't seen whether that performance will translate to final Amico hardware." 
Is the writer saying that the games aren't running on Amico hardware or that Amico hardware will have inferior specs compared to "dev kits".  Either way it's wrong as dev kits are the same hardware spec as an Amico.  I'm assuming it's happened with other systems, that dev kits are more powerful than the console.  Since the writer is so concerned about dev kits spec it would have been very easy to find out the facts but he didn't.

"While the controller's battery rating hasn't been revealed, the Amico developer portal hints at the capacity being quite low. Intellivision tells its devs that controllers have various built-in features disabled by default to preserve battery life unless games flag them as needed". 
Battery saving features are not indicative of low capacity.

"A lockdown on patch support also means online multiplayer in Amico games would be inherently difficult to support, since online modes tend to expose issues like character balance and cheat exploits." 
There is no lockdown on patch support.  The guidelines advise developers not to use patches as an extension of development time.

"...he estimated that Intellivision takes around 50 percent of third-party game-sales revenue—well above the 30 percent cut that has proven controversial for the likes of Apple."   
The Ars Techica writer is wrong to compare the fee the Apple store takes to what a publisher pays their developer.  And IE is not only the publisher, they are often the game designer, also providing graphics, audio, as well as technical support.  The writer doesn't mention that the developer is also paid in advance of sales reducing the investment and risk they would have to make developing for other systems.

"...while apparent "live" gameplay has been limited to the likes of Evel Knievel and Moon Patrol."  Brett Weiss' video of Moon Patrol at the Texas event was linked so the writer should be aware of other games played there not to mention some live gameplay videos on the official youtube channel, e.g. Missile Command, Side Swipers, Astrosmash, Finnegan Fox, Shark Shark, Rigid Force Redux, Skiing.  Moon Patrol was described as "rough", but the writer doesn't explain what was rough about it; the graphics, the animation?  Suggesting that only two games has been played live is wrong.

"Intellivision's marketing team reskinned an August 2019 promotional video tied to that year's Gamescom in Cologne, Germany, and relaunched it with identical filmed interviews and near-identical gameplay footage." 
Not correct, the introduction is identical but there were a lot of changes to the games shown.  Many games were replaced with different ones and there were more games in total.

There are so many issues with this article and these are just a few.  Too many mistakes for them to be mistakes.  It's as if the research is based on internet comments. 

And there's no need to send this writer an Amico to review.  This news article already has his opinion of the system and games.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Yeah, I know, never read the comments.

What's worse than reading the comments?  Copying and posting them on the internet, spreading misinformation.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mr_me said:

"Creators compare the $250 ... console's power to a chip from a $100 2016 smartphone." 
They did suggest to use it as a benchmark for development back before dev kits became available but the fact is the Amico has a newer (2018) and more powerful chip with more than double the graphics power in GFLOPS.  That other chip doesn't even match the clock speed posted on the official Amico tech spec page.  The chip reported to be in the Amico can be found in current Lenovo devices that cost more than an Amico.  The correct chip is mentioned in the article, so the writer knows that this statement at the top of the article is misleading.

"full-price preorders" with a link to the Gamestop Amico page.  My understanding is Gamestop takes deposits as low as $5, you can pay in full but describing it like this is misleading.

"... videos mostly originate from Intellivision and a few hand-picked fan YouTube channels."..."these videos leave us with question marks about dev kits and other potentially inauthentic presentations. " 
Assuming the question with dev kits are that they may not be the same hardware spec as an Amico.  That's not the case with Amico dev kits so no question mark with that and no evidence to suggest the presentation at the Texas event was inauthentic.  The article was written after the event in Texas, where some fans recorded and posted videos of the first public play of the Amico, as did Brett Weiss.  Being invited to the event does not make the videos of the event inauthentic and does not make the presentation of the Amico inauthentic.  Brett Weiss is not part of a conspiracy to present a non working Amico as working.  People played the Amico at the event, suggesting otherwise is wrong.

"... the device can also integrate content on an LCD screen embedded in every controller.  However the E3 video cuts and pans so much that we can't tell if the Amico controllers are legitimately interacting with the nearby TV set." 

Most Amico games are not flat graphics design, a few are but the vast majority are not.

"... some revealed games appear to run at 60 fps, but we haven't seen whether that performance will translate to final Amico hardware." 
Is the writer saying that the games aren't running on Amico hardware or that Amico hardware will have inferior specs compared to "dev kits".  Either way it's wrong as dev kits are the same hardware spec as an Amico.  I'm assuming it's happened with other systems, that dev kits are more powerful than the console.  Since the writer is so concerned about dev kits spec it would have been very easy to find out the facts but he didn't.

"While the controller's battery rating hasn't been revealed, the Amico developer portal hints at the capacity being quite low. Intellivision tells its devs that controllers have various built-in features disabled by default to preserve battery life unless games flag them as needed". 

"A lockdown on patch support also means online multiplayer in Amico games would be inherently difficult to support, since online modes tend to expose issues like character balance and cheat exploits." 
There is no lockdown on patch support.  The guidelines advise developers not to use patches as an extension of development time.

"...he estimated that Intellivision takes around 50 percent of third-party game-sales revenue—well above the 30 percent cut that has proven controversial for the likes of Apple."   
The Ars Techica writer is wrong to compare the fee the Apple store takes to what a publisher pays their developer.  And IE is not only the publisher, they are often the game designer, also providing graphics, audio, as well as technical support.  The writer doesn't mention that the developer is also paid in advance of sales reducing the investment and risk they would have to make developing for other systems.

"...while apparent "live" gameplay has been limited to the likes of Evel Knievel and Moon Patrol."  Brett Weiss' video of Moon Patrol at the Texas event was linked so the writer should be aware of other games played there not to mention some live gameplay videos on the official youtube channel, e.g. Missile Command, Side Swipers, Astrosmash, Finnegan Fox, Shark Shark, Rigid Force Redux, Skiing.  Moon Patrol was described as "rough", but the writer doesn't explain what was rough about it; the graphics, the animation?  Suggesting that only two games has been played live is wrong.

"Intellivision's marketing team reskinned an August 2019 promotional video tied to that year's Gamescom in Cologne, Germany, and relaunched it with identical filmed interviews and near-identical gameplay footage." 
Not correct, the introduction is identical but there were a lot of changes to the games shown.  Many games were replaced with different ones and there were more games in total.

There are so many issues with this article and these are just a few.  Too many mistakes for them to be mistakes.  It's as if the research is based on internet comments. 

And there's no need to send this writer an Amico to review.  This news article already has his opinion of the system and games.

Don't forget that he said Atari owned Moon Patrol.  

😀

There is a ton of other information that goes into detail in the NintendoLife article and interview.  Folks should definitely check it out if they are interested in finding out more.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/07/feature_intellivisions_tommy_tallarico_wants_to_follow_in_nintendos_footsteps_but_will_he_get_his_chance

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mr_me said:

spreading misinformation

The problem with this narrative is that while you are well within your right to correct discrepancies - some of which are pretty ambiguous though - these are not the real issues about Amico which people talk about, and what the general context of the AT article was. Of course, you can also stick your head into the sand and pretend that internet comments are inherently misguided and toxic (unless they are the good'uns from Amico "official" channels) but the reality is that the majority of commenters don't pounce on some tedious "misinformed" details, but talk about the big questions. Eg, from under the NintendoLife article:

Good interview. The system seems predicated on the belief that the smart phone exclusive gamer wants a console, too. I've seen no evidence of this.

Coupled with the fact you can enter the Switch ecosystem for the same price and get better "casual" games, this has no chance.

Nintendo consoles sell because they have top quality exclusive titles. This would have to be way cheaper to be able to compete. I can't see how it will be anything other than dead on arrival.

From Ars Technica:

It's going to be hard enough to convince consumers to purchase the device but how are they going to convince developers to design games limited in such specific ways on a console that's also going to have an extremely small audience...

[...]At no point has Amico answered the question “why?”

Why would someone develop for this? Someone who see’s mobile and is like I love Apple’s extortionist walled-garden policies, but I wish there was no massive, curated, high value audience or ability to generate subscription revenue?

Why would someone buy this? This is for someone who wants everything Nintendo offers, basically has Nintendo money, but weirdly doesn’t want Nintendo products?

Thats, what, 10? 12 people?

And so on and on. There's very little of the he-said-she-said petty "misinformation" you're trying to mitigate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, mr_me said:

"Power" refers to more than just a single chip.  There are many devices with extremely fast CPUs that aren't very capable, because the system is bottlenecked elsewhere.  Likewise, there are many modest CPUs that achieve great performance because of optimized code.  That doesn't make the AT article "misinformed".  Quite the opposite, actually.

The Amicos that have been pre-ordered were done so in a way that was functionally indistinguishable from crowdfunding.  It might have been nice had that been announced as the plan earlier on, but I don't see that is a huge distinction either way.

I really don't know much about Gamestop, haven't shopped there in years.  I'll trust your judgement on this.

I think there's more than a little reason to be skeptical of the videos of Amico game footage.  For all the hours (days?) of Amico footage on YouTube, shockingly little of it actually contains game content.  This is a completely fair point for AT to make.  That's not "misinformation".

Not showing the system actually working in a video made specifically to show the system actually working is considerable evidence.  At the very best, its an example of poor presentation.  Again, a completely fair point for AT to make, and not "misinformation".

You and Sam literally just said the exact same thing with different phrasing.  That's not "misinformation".

Do we have exact specs on Amico dev kits?  Is this confirmed by the devs themselves?  I'm not claiming a "gotcha", I'm legitimately asking for the record.

I would agree that battery saving features are not indicitive of low capacity.  However, controller battery life is a somewhat hot issue and unless the Amico is taking active steps to counter that trend, I think this is healthy skepticism.

That becomes a matter of implementation.  What is "an extension of development time" and what is "support"?  (This is rhetorical, I don't expect you to speak for Amico).  For AT to say this could potentially hinder developer support is not unreasonable.

I don't see why this is an unfair comparison.  Both Apple and IE are selling games through an online store.  The percentage take each has is info worthy of comparison.  Up-front payment to devs doesn't change anything unless we have specific examples to discuss.

Again, not misinformation.

The amount of "live" gameplay available from the Amico library is shockingly small for a system that was supposed to be released 10 months ago.  This is a fair point for AT to make.

It's a matter of perspective.  There was enough reusued footage it's a fair point for AT to make.

Well, the Amico team is not going to be changing any minds without sending out review units.

Thanks for the response.  At least you bothered to answer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, youxia said:
46 minutes ago, mr_me said:

spreading misinformation

The problem with this narrative is that while you are well within your right ...

The reason i said this is because someone quoted a comment saying the Nintendo Life article is "paid sponsorship".  That is spreading misinformation. 

If the ars techica writer wants to discuss the market viability of the Amico that's fine but it's lost in a sea of misinformation.  And if it's going to give opinions like the console will have an extremely small audience than it should be labelled an opinion piece.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Here are some of my favorites.  4 videos with about 2,000 or so comments.  After you've had a chance to read them let me know your thoughts.

Having as little as 2,000 comments across 4 best videos from your official channel is not really something to write home about (especially considering that not all are positive and some were insta-notsalgia driven reactions). It could be okay for an indie game, but you are launching a new console worldwide, aiming at those mythical 3 billions, so...

It's also understandably mostly the earlier stuff, when the enthusiasm was still high, and genuinely interesting tiltles like Night Stalker promoted. But your latest trailer managed to garner only ~17K views since 22nd of June - virtually nothing in the world of big product influencing -  and these are the top comments:

sshot-2021-08-10-16-26-25.png

• Like 1

Can we distance ourselves from trying to identify who is truly 'a hater'? I was banned from the main TT post, and have no idea why.

I'm a Founder, and I've done nothing but speak good things about the Amico, so I dont know why I would have fallen into the hater category, unless of course I'm mistaken. This project is equally personal to all of us and I think, at times, it gnaws at our emotions if we perceive a smidgeon of negativity.

Some of the actual hater YouTube channels out there, fair enough, we dont need those contributions, but I feel like even within our own Amico fanbase, some of us are too quick on the trigger, when we are alienating each other.

Love you all and look forward to destroying each other on the leaderboards! 

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The reason i said this is because someone quoted a comment saying the Nintendo Life article is "paid sponsorship".  That is spreading misinformation. 

Was that comment in the Ars Technica article?

For the record, I don't believe NintendoLife's articles are paid sponsorships.  I do believe they read as if they were, however, and that's my primary issue with the site.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, youxia said:

It's also understandably mostly the earlier stuff, when the enthusiasm was still high, and genuinely interesting tiltles like Night Stalker promoted. But your latest trailer managed to garner only ~17K views since 22nd of June - virtually nothing in the world of big product influencing -  and these are the top comments:

This is misinformation.

The trailer you decided to cherry pick negative comments from is a month old.  We've put out 4 videos since then.

Here are the actual lastest videos that we've done.

Folks can read the comments and decide for themselves if the "enthusiasm" has waned at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

This is misinformation.

The trailer you decided to cherry pick negative comments from is a month old.  We've put out 4 videos since then.

Here are the actual lastest videos that we've done.

Folks can read the comments and decide for themselves if the "enthusiasm" has waned at all.

Again, what is misinformation?  What is inaccurate?  

• Like 2